Iran's new missiles?




 
--
Boots
 
March 31st, 2006  
Marinerhodes
 
 

Topic: Iran's new missiles?


http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...BD8DCCFC8E.htm

I was driving today and heard Paul Harvey talking about a misile test Iran did recently. He said something about it having no radar profile (flying low enough to the ground I guess), the ability to evade missile to missle missles, on point targeting and lots of other goodies.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?
March 31st, 2006  
phoenix80
 
 
video of Fajr 3, Iran's new ballistic missile

http://www.iribnews.ir/PhotoGallery/Photo/_cb8c833c-55a3-4546-8ce5-b43ca9959cf3.wmv
April 1st, 2006  
Marinerhodes
 
 
Unfortunately I do not speak that language. Is this the missile I was asking about though?
--
Boots
April 1st, 2006  
Airborne Eagle
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerhodes
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...BD8DCCFC8E.htm

I was driving today and heard Paul Harvey talking about a misile test Iran did recently. He said something about it having no radar profile (flying low enough to the ground I guess), the ability to evade missile to missle missles, on point targeting and lots of other goodies.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Having a low signature profile isn't all that amazing. It's a matter of just not having a lot of mass to solidly reflect the radar.

I'm not a missile expert, but if its a longer range ballistic missile, it may not be all that improved. The guidance system may still be last generation and since it flies lower to the ground, its cargo may be lighter. A missile needs fuel and cargo. You have to trade off. If you want range, it comes at the cost of fuel and visa versa. Now, you cna bring in advanced designs to improve range without a great tradeoff, but flying lower typically burns more fuel.

It may also be a single point missile. I'm sure there's a technical term that describes this. Essentially, our tomahawk's can hit multiple targets over an area in a single sortie. I don't know if the Shabab 3 can do that or if it can only hit one target.
April 1st, 2006  
Marinerhodes
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Eagle
Having a low signature profile isn't all that amazing. It's a matter of just not having a lot of mass to solidly reflect the radar.

I'm not a missile expert, but if its a longer range ballistic missile, it may not be all that improved. The guidance system may still be last generation and since it flies lower to the ground, its cargo may be lighter. A missile needs fuel and cargo. You have to trade off. If you want range, it comes at the cost of fuel and visa versa. Now, you cna bring in advanced designs to improve range without a great tradeoff, but flying lower typically burns more fuel.

It may also be a single point missile. I'm sure there's a technical term that describes this. Essentially, our tomahawk's can hit multiple targets over an area in a single sortie. I don't know if the Shabab 3 can do that or if it can only hit one target.
That was the other thing that struck me. It is a multiple target missle. Also it has capabilities that will allow it to avoid missile to missile attacks from defending targets. The range was still at or about the same. Able to hit Israel and coalition forces in the surrounding areas.
April 2nd, 2006  
phoenix80
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerhodes
Unfortunately I do not speak that language. Is this the missile I was asking about though?
Sorry!

It seems to be an MRLS not a ballistic missile
April 3rd, 2006  
WNxRogue
 
 
Nope, your video is the right missle.
April 3rd, 2006  
phoenix80
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxRogue
Nope, your video is the right missle.
I m confused!

Fajr-3 is supposed to be an MLR but the video shows a short range ballistic missile



April 3rd, 2006  
Missileer
 
 
I've been at a few missile firings in my career and I can't tell you what type of missile is firing by looking at the skin. All I saw was a missile take off a couple of times and a rather whiskery fellow narrating. If I was on a missile tracking radar and watched the trajectory and targeted area and at least see if the vehicle went anywhere and how close it came in the accuracy department, as well as readouts from initial strike piezoelectric "crumple" sensors, an educated guess could be made as to what the vehicle is capable of. Give me data recorders, words are for books, data is for engineers.
April 3rd, 2006  
phoenix80
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
I've been at a few missile firings in my career and I can't tell you what type of missile is firing by looking at the skin. All I saw was a missile take off a couple of times and a rather whiskery fellow narrating. If I was on a missile tracking radar and watched the trajectory and targeted area and at least see if the vehicle went anywhere and how close it came in the accuracy department, as well as readouts from initial strike piezoelectric "crumple" sensors, an educated guess could be made as to what the vehicle is capable of. Give me data recorders, words are for books, data is for engineers.
the guy who seems to be a senior ranking IRGC official is saying that this missile is a Multiple Warhead one and can attack different targets and can also evade RADAR detection.

How is this possible?