Iran's Military

texasrebel211

How good? I know they are a lot and they are going to have the new russian/china/etc. kind of stuff but they won't be able to have much western stuff because of the embargos. They probalby do though, through some sources.

Discuss and enlighten :D

Hi,

Their Indeginious Wepons production Capabilities is also Decent ...............I consider them the Only Self Sufficient Wepons producer (Catering to their Needs)in the Middle east

Here is a Breif OverView of Irans Wepons :

Missiles : Read Here
Code:
Designation 	Stages 	Propellant 	Range 	IOC 	Inventory 	
Mushak-120 	1 	   solid 	130 km 	     ? 		
Mushak-160 	1 	 liquid 	160 km 			
Mushak-200 	1 	  liquid 	200 km 			
Shahab-1 	1 	 liquid 	300 km 	       1995 	50-300 	
Shahab-2 	1 	 liquid 	500 km 		           50-150 	
Shahab-3 	1 	 liquid 	1,300 km       2002 	25-100
Shahab-4 	2 	 liquid 	2,000 km 	0 	
Shahab-5 	3 	 liquid 	5,500 km 	0 	
Shahab-6 	3 	 liquid 	10,000 km       0

AirCrafts

Fighter
Azarakhsh
Saeqeh
Shafaq

Transport
Iran-140
Tu-334

Rotary
Shahed 274
Shavabiz 2-75
Shabaviz 206-1
Shabaviz 209-1

Misslels

Air-to-Surface
GBU-67/9A Qadr
AGM-379/20 Zoobin

Surface-to-Surface
Arash
Fajr
Hadid
Haseb
Nazeat
Noor
Oghab
Shahin
Kosar
Nafez
Ra'ad
Saghegh

GROUND COMBAT

Tanks
T-72Z Safir-74
Tosan
Zulfiqar

Armored Vehicles
Boragh
Cobra BMT-2

Artillery
Thunder-1
Thunder-2

Anti-Aircraft
23mm AAA

Taken form here

Iranian Warships

SUBMARINES :
SSK KILO
SSI

DESTROYERS
Damavand
Babr

CORVETTES
Bayandor

MISSILE CRAFT
Houdong
Kaman

AMPHIBIOUS
Hengam LST
Iran Hormuz 24 LSM
Iran Ajr
Fouque LSL
Polnochny ex-Iraq
LCT
ACV

Source

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Zulfiqar tank likely to be the Middle Easts singel handed bad-ass-tank.

not comparedd to the Merkava Mk 4, not by a long shot.

The Iranian Military is not too impressive in my view. They have a decent size force, but htey lack hardware. The problem with armies like this one is that you have units that have very good and new hardware, like the Zulfiqar, and you have units with Chieftains or Type-59 tanks. A lot of their inf is not mechanised yet, and during the Iran-Iraq war their high command did not show any sighn of military brilliance. If you ask me, they are only slightly better than the Iraqis in 1991.

SHERMAN wrote:
not comparedd to the Merkava Mk 4, not by a long shot.

Merkava Mk 4 is probably this worlds most advanced tank, but alot of these new tanks performence has to do with the crews experiance and Israel if any country should have a great deal of experiance. I have not understand why Israel though have bought M2 Abrams to boost up their allredy great tank arsenal? However I think Zulfiqar tank can be a dignified adversary in a modern tank battle with experianced tank crews. They are making alot parts for that tank forthemselfe and thats why I think that they can train alot more with these tanks then the Iraqis could when they were living under a ~12 year~ long embargo that almost made training with tanks and APCs impossible because of the lack of spareparts.

SHERMAN wrote:
and during the Iran-Iraq war their high command did not show any sighn of military brilliance.

Iran-Iraq was the old tactic éra - I think alot of countrys around the middle east have learn alot of important lessons since the first Gulf War, books, videos, Tv, Internet, people in the hot zones, from this two other even more modern wars in Afghanistan and in Iraq. The Iran/Iraq war tanks was used as anti-infantry guns mainly, and I can see that Iraqi armour didnt perform good with what they still got even if they put up some stiff resistance in the first Gulf War at some places, ultimately they were crushed. Times-Changes I think, and thats why I think Iran could be a pain in the but for them who dares to challenge that country. :)

//Doc.S
:viking:

Hi,

texasrebel211 said:
anyone know if they are devolping anything in the area of WMD besides nuclear stuff?

IMHO Apart form their Nuclear Program ( Thanks to Khan Lab's Of Pakistan ) .........they have a Decent Biological and Chemical Weapons program ................and If you see my earlier post they also have means to Deliver those Wepons in the form of Misslels and Aircrafts.

Iran's Primary enemy was Iraq ................and during the Iran -Iraq war Iran started Developing Chemical and Biological wepons to Counter the Iraqi threat........

You can read More about it :

1. Chemical and Biological Weapons: Possession and Programs Past and Present

2. Iran Chemical Weapons

3. Iran Biological Weapons

Peace
-=SF_13=-

it is rumoured that U.S intelligence spot 50 chinese scientsts in Iranian nuclear facility buildings..

anyone confirms that?

Sexybeast said:
it is rumoured that U.S intelligence spot 50 chinese scientsts in Iranian nuclear facility buildings..

anyone confirms that?

Let me call my CIA buddy and ask him.

pshh, this i dont get, why is us not allowing other countries to have nuclear arms when she has nuclear arms, isnt the americans all about equality???

Chinaman said:
pshh, this i dont get, why is us not allowing other countries to have nuclear arms when she has nuclear arms, isnt the americans all about equality???

Not when a country, like Iran or Iraq, has shown that they have the capability and the will power to use them.

And now to quell your next argument. "But the US is the only country to have ever used nukes on another country." That is true, and we most likely saved millions, if not tens of millions of lives, and we also prevented the Soviet Union from taking your precious Manchuria.

en....preventing soviets taking manchuria...i dont get that..

but i agree that countries like Iran should not get nukes..very dangerous..

any country (maybe china) that helps Iran to get nukes, is playing a very dangerous but potentially benificial game....

Sexybeast said:
en....preventing soviets taking manchuria...i dont get that.

The Soviet Union was invading Manchuria, for those who think they would have handed it over after Japan signed a cease fire, look at Eastern Europe.

nah, china would fight to the death for manchuria, even the nationlistics would

anyways, the russins looted manchuria, so theyve got the goods

i dont get it, wuts with german, japanese and russian soldiers with pillage, raping and looting, it will not help with the war

en..i dont know how do u get the result of Soviets INVADING manchuria..

from wut i ve known, it is a part of agreement between Roosvlet and stalin that Soveits will go attack the Guan Dong army of japan in manchuria after the victory in europe...

but it is true that they have the ambition to take over whole korea...
however, in manchuria..Soviets handed all the japanese weapons to chinese army and land back to china, although they took worth .8 billion U.S dollar of industrial equipments from manchuria as booty (Manchuria is the most heavily industrilized area during that time in china)

Back