Iran's Military

--

August 22nd, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Topic: Iran's Military

Is it large? Small? Well trained? Poorly trained? Well equiped, or no better than Iraq? And, ultimately, could Persia's armed forces pose a threat?
August 22nd, 2004  
SHERMAN

Pose a threat to who?
August 22nd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Large? Yes. Well equipped? No. Mostly has outdated US equips from before they dumped the Shah in 1978/1979, some from the 80's and whatever they could pick up from anywhere else. Still, Iraq would be quite vunerable to them invading if the US Army wasn't there. If you remember you history, Iran and Iraq fought their little war to a draw, if that gives you some idea.
--
August 22nd, 2004  
Doc.S

The only thing they got to face any threat is their outdated but modified airforce that is in good condition, and their pilots are good I have heard. I think Iran is even more simple to defeat then Iraq was on the open battlefield but you will need alot of B-52s to take care of the human waves of fanatic Pasdaran revolution guards. Points at the Iran/Iraq war. They will be harder to break then Iraq is on the ground in the citys. But still many young people in Iran want another Iran thats for sure.

Cheers:
Doc.S

August 22nd, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Iran is strong army in M.East, but in no where in the world.

Iran's biggest threat is their potential nukes and the missiles.

I think Iran is much stronger compared to Iraq, especially their people are more fanatic.
August 22nd, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Alrighty then, I was just curious what with the current shi'ite crisis in Iraq. I was just thinking if Iran decided to go ahead and take that chunk of Iraq for itself, or what might be their words "liberate it from the imperial west" or something.
August 22nd, 2004  
SHERMAN

Yep, but the shiite Iraqis dont really want to be ruled by Iranis.
August 23rd, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Has Iran imported any of the newer Soviet model Tanks/APC'S?
August 23rd, 2004  
SHERMAN

I dont think so. I think the T72 is the last one they imported. They also preduce the Zulfigar MBT. They did iomport the NORINCO Type 69....As to APCs-The BMP-2 is in service with them, as is the Chinese copy(WZ501). They make an APC of their own based on the BMP family, called the Boragh....
August 23rd, 2004  
GuyontheRight

And what is the streangth of the Revolutionary Gaurd. Is this formation more of a special forces element or a Iraqi Republican Gaurd element? That is to say, what is it's size, it's Order of Battle, etc...?