Iran's Basij Force

FutureDevilDog

I'm sure most of you have heard of them. The Bazij, an army of martyrs. But, for those of you who havent, back in the Iran-Iraq war thousands of people (some as young as 13) volunteered to charge the Iraqis in human waves armed only with Korans. These human waves caused massive casualties for both sides. A lot of them were mowed down but eventually the Iraqis would run out of ammo and would be mowed over.

Now, lets say worst comes to worst and the US and Iran come face to face in a ground battle inside Iran. Do you think that the human waves of suicide soldiers would be effective against US forces?. I mean, they would most likely run out of ammo before they could kill all of them. Right? Wrong? Would they cause mass casualties against US forces like did against Iraq's army? The reason I wonder is because I've read and heard on TV that the Basij Force has reached over 7 million volunteers.

Thank you for your time!

:rambo:

If Iran is insane enough to use those guys again then they're absolutely desperate. How do you think human waves would look to the rest of the world, simple it would look like Iran doesn't care what happens to its soldiers. So the Americans would just hang tight and call in airstrikes until the martyrs are depleted. Iraq wasn't very tough, that's why the war slided to the iranians favor. America on the other hand has tons of firepower, we could easily take out a human wave and then capture several armies. If those 7 million would really like to waste their lives then let them, it would only delay the inevitable american counterattack if anything.

But if you mean an attack on americans in iraq as things are now, that would be very bad indeed. Not enough men just for patrolling the country's streets let alone fending off an invasion or attack. It might be grim at first, but the tide would turn in the american favor sooner or later. I think the martyr force is all propaganda, this isn't world war 2 where human waves were actually effective to some degree, in this modern world you need modern weapons or you fail.

Would they cause mass casualties against US forces like did against Iraq's army? The reason I wonder is because I've read and heard on TV that the Basij Force has reached over 7 million volunteers.

Thank you for your time!
Lightly armed militas arent going to be too effective in manuever warfare. The only thing theyd be useful for is gureilla efforts after the conventional battles are over.
If Iran is insane enough to use those guys again then they're absolutely desperate. How do you think human waves would look to the rest of the world, simple it would look like Iran doesn't care what happens to its soldiers.

That works both ways, hows it gona look when our guys are calling down airstrikes on crazy unarmed 13 year olds.

Rabs hit it on the head. If human wave attacks such as DevilDog describes were used, it wouldn't be Iran being vilified. The US would be vilified for killing them. Iraq is a good example of that. The media creates as many martyrs as the insurgents.

I doubt we'll be in that situation. Should it arise, though, I expect a few US troops would get killed trying not to kill the "unarmed civilians." I think after our boys saw a little of their own blood, ROE would likely be out the window.

Back