Iranians threatened U.S. ships in Hormuz: Pentagon

rock45

Iranians threatened U.S. ships in Hormuz: Pentagon

* 33 minutes ago Google news

By Andrew Gray
Jan 7, 2008

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Five Iranian boats made aggressive maneuvers and showed hostile intent towards three U.S. Navy ships at the weekend in the Strait of Hormuz, a major oil shipping route in the Gulf, the Pentagon said on Monday.
The Pentagon said the incident was serious. It described the Iranian actions as "careless, reckless and potentially hostile" and said Tehran should provide an explanation.

n Tehran, the Iranian foreign ministry described the incident as ordinary. "The example that happened on Saturday was similar to previous cases and is an ordinary and natural issue," Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini told Iran's official IRNA news agency.
"This is an ordinary issue that happens for the two sides every once in a while and, after the identification of the two sides, the issue is resolved."

Full story
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=4096825

we should just sink one of them. that's all it would take

I would of gone for all five and then informed them that if another of their ship/s so much comes with in 500 meters of my naval command then I will go for the remaining Iranian navy plus support facilities.:pirate2:

It all sounds pretty childish to me. They'll be calling us really rude names next.

Two can play at that game, I'm sure.

It all sounds pretty childish to me. They'll be calling us really rude names next.

Two can play at that game, I'm sure.

Getting within 200 yards of a guided missile destroyer broadcasting that you will be blown up can be a very fatal childish game on their part.

Getting within 200 yards of a guided missile destroyer broadcasting that you will be blown up can be a very fatal childish game on their part.

Read the article please
"The ships received a radio call that was threatening in nature, to the effect that they were closing on our ships and ... the U.S. ships would explode," Cosgriff told reporters at the Pentagon via videolink from his Bahrain headquarters.

If they had to use their radio to advise the US ships that they were approaching, they obviously have no idea of what goes on, on a warship. Even in peacetime the US ship would have been aware of their every move from the moment they painted up on radar. The words, "You will explode" convey no threat, they may as well have said "You are all ugly and have warts on your nose"

If they had aimed their weapons and illuminated the ships with weapons radar, that would constitute a threat in my opinion.

Read the article please

If they had to use their radio to advise the US ships that they were approaching, they obviously have no idea of what goes on, on a warship. Even in peacetime the US ship would have been aware of their every move from the moment they painted up on radar. The words, "You will explode" convey no threat, they may as well have said "You are all ugly and have warts on your nose"

If they had aimed their weapons and illuminated the ships with weapons radar, that would constitute a threat in my opinion.

Reading what CNN 24 hour news stated is that we did come quite close to opening fire on them. Does anybody even know what type of Iranian ships were involved in this stunt.

Iran's navy

I found this quick but don't know what ships were involved.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iran/navy.htm

Iranian Warships

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iran/ships.htm

Navy bases

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iran/navy-base.htm

PolicyWatch #1179
spacer.gif
Iran's Doctrine of Asymmetric Naval Warfare
spacer.gif
By Fariborz Haghshenass
December 21, 2006
http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/templateC05.php?CID=2548

I remember reading in a different forum that there navy is better trained then most of there military. I know you wouldn't know that from this but even the best commander have higher ups right?

Last edited:
We are already fighting a 2 front war...we don't need to make it 3.

We're already fighting Iran in Iraq, so it'd only be a two and a half front war. Besides, these boats used by the Iranians were probably little more than fishing boats with a .50 cal mounted on front. We've destroyed their Navy once, doing it again won't be any harder.

We're already fighting Iran in Iraq, so it'd only be a two and a half front war. Besides, these boats used by the Iranians were probably little more than fishing boats with a .50 cal mounted on front. We've destroyed their Navy once, doing it again won't be any harder.

When did we destroyed their Navy? Did I miss something from the history book? heh

I don't thing a war with Iran would be good for the US, Iran is a big big country.
I was wondering, is that place where the event happened actually Iranian territory?

I read the article, too:
-"a combination employed to great effect on the ground in southern Lebanon by Iran’s protege, the Lebanese Shiite Hizballah, in its war with Israel this summer"
Are you kidding me? Israel bombed the living sh*t out of them.

-"the Iranian concept of Alavi/Ashurai warfare"
-"Based on Shiite religious concepts"
Are you serious???

The article sounds pretty interesting, but I can't stand that religious propaganda.

Regards,
Il

Question this

Damien435
Is the below true was the screen used for sticky notes? I have a problem with this web site as a source in most cases is this real? Thanks

• A lack of training contributed to the disaster.
“ It was, however, a known fact that many of the senior officers on board the Vincennes knew very little about computerized warfare. The tactical officer for surface warfare, Lt Cmdr Guillory, knew so little that he routinely used his computer screens as a surface for sticky notes instead. Petty Officer Anderson, who missed Flight 655 on the schedule because it was so dark, also later claimed that he was confused by the gulf's four different time zones, something proper training could have easily helped with. Lt Clay Zocher was the boss of Air Alley, which was responsible for air warfare, but he had only stood watch at that post twice before and had never fully learned and mastered the console routines. In fact, when he was finally given the green light to fire upon the incoming aircraft, he pressed the wrong keys 23 times, until a veteran petty officer leaned over and hit the right ones. Nerves were shattered, and the training seemed nonexistent."[21]

Link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655#Potential_factors

I would bet that entire paragraph is true. This was after 1988 and computers were pretty new. This was, I believe, one of the first AEGIS ships launched and it was in the transition from the wide open, windows everywhere type of bridge/CIC we saw on WWII-era ships to darkened, no windows anywhere, only light available comes from computer screens, buttons and dials sort of CIC. All lessons learned in warfare come from trial and error/mistakes made in the past. This was an example where mistakes were made and we (hopefully) learned from them and use them as guides on what not do for our future men and women in uniform. I believe an investigation by the Navy ruled that the Iran Air incident was the result of human error and tweaking the existing evidence to fit the assumptions of the crew. So lack of training almost certainly had an impact. A civilian airliner was shot down, obviously mistakes were made, I wouldn't be surprised if the above paragraph turns out to be quite accurate.

Back