Iranian super weapon?

sandy

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1474718.cms
TEHRAN: Iran has successfully test-fired a second missile, its fastest underwater torpedo that can carry multiple warheads, during the ongoing naval manoeuvres in the Persian Gulf.

Deputy commander of the navy forces of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) General Ali Fadavi said that the indigenous missile, called "Hoot", could hit targets with a maximum speed of 100 meters per second, the state-owned IRNA news agency reported.

According to a report in the news network Khabar, IRGC Air Force Commander General Hossein Salami said the missile was capable of carrying multiple warheads and could simultaneously hit several targets.

The torpedo has a variable range as well as radar-evading technology.
The missile was the second tested to be tested. A missile was successfully tested Friday, as part of the same naval manoeuvre.

The week-long naval exercise called "Holy Prophet" started on Friday and more than 17,000 armed forces personnel are taking part in the war games.

The manoeuvre came less than two days after the UN Security Council issued a deadline urging Iran to suspend all uranium enrichment activities within 30 days

I have been watching this story, as well as other weapons they have tested. Ill give you the recent list: 1.This underwater torpedo, 2.a new anti-air system (maybe based on a rail gun, they didnt specify) and 3.a new radar-cruise missle type weapon.

Its obvious that they are building up for a confrontation, most likely with the US. The US strategy is to:
1. Bomb them from the air (anti-air system)
2. Use ships, some fro cruise missles, some aircraft carriers (new torpedo)
3. Land ground troops (load a missle up with biological weapons and you have 3)

Its a Shkval-E, clearly visible from the pictures. In the report it was also said that the Torpedo will be launched from stealthy platforms which have to get close to the target (likely about 10km). Other than the "multiple warhead" missile, this one was not said to be an indigenous achievement.

Maybe a new license production of the Shkval-E.

missil1-zn.jpg

p09oord023fa.jpg

Video from irib http://www.iribnews.ir/PhotoGallery/Photo/_e083926f-af30-4776-b72a-a88404f5c8bb.wmv

Last edited:
This is why we have not seen anyone do anything yet, cause they know they would suffer this time around.
Even the Israelis keeps their heads low. I now see why. Would not like to be the next president of the United States of America. :lol:

Doc.S
:viking:

Amazing how many super secret super weapons folks have these days. Pardon me while I go refill my salt shaker, this one needs more than one grain.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss some things Missileer. I am a realist. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

I would be comfortable knowing we didn't dismiss it out of hand from some sense of arrogance that our military technology is superior.

I just happened to see a news clip about this "new" underwater missile today. For one thing, the design is a scrapped Russian idea that just never worked. The distance is very short and no guidance has worked on one yet. The defense dept. official almost laughed when he saw the clips and commented about Iran's propensity for prevarication on their technical abilities. Since no tests were ever made on how deadly they are, the statement by Iran that it could "sink any ship or submarine regardless of how deep they are" was simply not true. I just had to add this, the Iranian official was quoted as saying that since the missile was so fast, no radar could detect it. The defense guy said that simply wasn't true and that due to the short range of the missile, the vehicle carrying it would be in trouble if it was detected closing on a ship.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss some things Missileer. I am a realist. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
Me to, however Iran cant really leap-frog 30 years in military technology. There playing a russian trick deploying semi-functional weapon systems just to scare the Americans a litttle bit. Its worked to look at the press.

Didnt the russiand play with something like this the SHIVKAL?

Im glad that there is still a huge portion of self-reliance to be found out there in the world. However from all I know Iraq didnt have any Weapons of Mass Destruction left, they had potential formations and weapons still handy when the U.S bombed them back to the middle-Ages, here we have a country that has developed weapons of mass destruction since 1986 and they has a well developed program and are more or less self-sufficient when it comes to weapons. However Iran has not had 14-15 years of U.N sanctions and they are more fanatic then any Iraqi Republican Guard Unit could ever be after living on sand and more sand for over a decade. Point is that the self-reliance vs reality + faith seems to fail in both Europe and in the United States of America. Did the U.S attack the wrong nation? My answer. Hell yes! Why attack a country like Iraq in the first place? Why not attack Iran? Well Iranians do belive in their country and their system, that is the differance and they does have alot of potential weaponsystems that would make the west look pretty damn silly if they would attempt to do this on their own. Let face it make it official shall we? Let Iran have their Nukes ok. That is better for all involved or attack them and put the Ayatollas where they belong. The nut house. That is alot better then waste alot of hours on a enemy that no one can get anyway. *Rofl* :lol:

Doc.S
:viking:

Rabs said:
Me to, however Iran cant really leap-frog 30 years in military technology. There playing a russian trick deploying semi-functional weapon systems just to scare the Americans a litttle bit. Its worked to look at the press.

Didnt the russiand play with something like this the SHIVKAL?

Yes, in fact I saw this in a Defense magazine in the early 1990`s and it was meant for sub to sub last ditch suicide attack. It was too light, unguided, a computer cranked in the speed and distance of the target and shot at a point in the water hoping the sub would rendezvous with the missile, and short distance. Supposedly, the missile actually flew in an air pocket created around the body of the thing. Suuurre!

I believe they can leapfrog 30 years if given the information. Afterall, the information is out there to be had by the highest bidder in some cases. Not to mention some of their brightest minds come from some of our best colleges

Missileer said:
I just happened to see a news clip about this "new" underwater missile today. For one thing, the design is a scrapped Russian idea that just never worked. The distance is very short and no guidance has worked on one yet. The defense dept. official almost laughed when he saw the clips and commented about Iran's propensity for prevarication on their technical abilities. Since no tests were ever made on how deadly they are, the statement by Iran that it could "sink any ship or submarine regardless of how deep they are" was simply not true. I just had to add this, the Iranian official was quoted as saying that since the missile was so fast, no radar could detect it. The defense guy said that simply wasn't true and that due to the short range of the missile, the vehicle carrying it would be in trouble if it was detected closing on a ship.

The Russian sources that I have read said nothing about the "scrap" thing.
The say that this missile is deployed on Russian Submarines from 1977. However, they claim that the exported version doesn't have the self-guided head, so the Iranians will, probably, use it against the aircraft carriers - difficult to miss:))
but they have to be as close as 10 miles to be able to do it...

Another theory is that "Shkval" has been a cause of the "Kursk" being sunk - one of the missiles has detonated inside the unfortunate submarine...

And the craziest theory I have read is that the US have bought the latest version of "Shkval" from some Russan traitors, deployed the american clone of that weapon on the American sub and shut "Kursk" down using it to cover up the deal:)
Please, don't kill me, I'm just a messenger!!!!

Last edited:
sub and shut "Kursk" down using it to cover up the deal:smile:

Using my immense experience in sub sims I know that when you launch a SHVKAL everyone in 500 miles knows exactly were you are. So the idea of a stealthy little yank sub sneaking up and shooting one of these things off in Russian waters really is kinda crazy. Not to mention the complete lack of motive.

hey claim that the exported version doesn't have the self-guided head, so the Iranians will, probably, use it against the aircraft carriers - difficult to miss

Our carriers arent the slowest things in the sea. Not to mention this thing is going to be known as soon as it is launched. This giving the iranian sub can get through the us pickets.

boris116 said:
The Russian sources that I have read said nothing about the "scrap" thing.

When the mods reach 4 to 5, it's pretty damn certain that there is a basic flaw in the design. I have followed this thing for years and as far as the "insiders" are concerned, the whole idea was propaganda. Even if it was able to be guided, the trail of bubbles, which it needs to work, is visible from air, sea and land. Smart torpedoes launched from miles away are hunter/killers, those have been perfected by Russia and the US, that's why they're selling junk to fools.

Last edited:
Back