Iranian super weapon? - Page 2

--

April 5th, 2006  
Marinerhodes

I believe they can leapfrog 30 years if given the information. Afterall, the information is out there to be had by the highest bidder in some cases. Not to mention some of their brightest minds come from some of our best colleges
April 6th, 2006  
boris116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
I just happened to see a news clip about this "new" underwater missile today. For one thing, the design is a scrapped Russian idea that just never worked. The distance is very short and no guidance has worked on one yet. The defense dept. official almost laughed when he saw the clips and commented about Iran's propensity for prevarication on their technical abilities. Since no tests were ever made on how deadly they are, the statement by Iran that it could "sink any ship or submarine regardless of how deep they are" was simply not true. I just had to add this, the Iranian official was quoted as saying that since the missile was so fast, no radar could detect it. The defense guy said that simply wasn't true and that due to the short range of the missile, the vehicle carrying it would be in trouble if it was detected closing on a ship.
The Russian sources that I have read said nothing about the "scrap" thing.
The say that this missile is deployed on Russian Submarines from 1977. However, they claim that the exported version doesn't have the self-guided head, so the Iranians will, probably, use it against the aircraft carriers - difficult to miss)
but they have to be as close as 10 miles to be able to do it...

Another theory is that "Shkval" has been a cause of the "Kursk" being sunk - one of the missiles has detonated inside the unfortunate submarine...

And the craziest theory I have read is that the US have bought the latest version of "Shkval" from some Russan traitors, deployed the american clone of that weapon on the American sub and shut "Kursk" down using it to cover up the deal
Please, don't kill me, I'm just a messenger!!!!
April 6th, 2006  
Rabs

Quote:
sub and shut "Kursk" down using it to cover up the deal

Using my immense experience in sub sims I know that when you launch a SHVKAL everyone in 500 miles knows exactly were you are. So the idea of a stealthy little yank sub sneaking up and shooting one of these things off in Russian waters really is kinda crazy. Not to mention the complete lack of motive.

Quote:
hey claim that the exported version doesn't have the self-guided head, so the Iranians will, probably, use it against the aircraft carriers - difficult to miss
Our carriers arent the slowest things in the sea. Not to mention this thing is going to be known as soon as it is launched. This giving the iranian sub can get through the us pickets.
--
April 6th, 2006  
Fox

Do you think if Iran attack Iraq or Afhanstain, then we are war with them?
April 6th, 2006  
Missileer

[quote=boris116]The Russian sources that I have read said nothing about the "scrap" thing.

When the mods reach 4 to 5, it's pretty damn certain that there is a basic flaw in the design. I have followed this thing for years and as far as the "insiders" are concerned, the whole idea was propaganda. Even if it was able to be guided, the trail of bubbles, which it needs to work, is visible from air, sea and land. Smart torpedoes launched from miles away are hunter/killers, those have been perfected by Russia and the US, that's why they're selling junk to fools.