Iranian Students 'Spying on Oz for Tehran'

phoenix80

Banned
September 10, 2007
The Australian
Richard Kerbaj

National security agents are closely monitoring Iranians at Australian universities, fearing some of the students are doubling as spies and reporting to Tehran.

State and federal security authorities are also keeping a close eye on Iranian students in Australia who are interested in becoming residents or citizens, amid growing suspicions that some may be intent on establishing an espionage foothold.

It is understood their concerns about Iranian students were sparked by calls to the National Security Hotline and information from local Persian leaders.

Some of the students suspected of gathering information on the communities in Sydney and Melbourne are believed to be under electronic surveillance.

The number of Iranian students studying in Australia has multiplied almost five-fold in the past five years. Most study engineering and surveying.

Attorney-General Philip Ruddock told The Australian that threats to Australia were investigated by the relevant national security authorities.

Security sources told The Australian they believed some of the students were being used to spy on members of the local community who were hostile towards the regime of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Australia's Iranian community of 25,000 is largely made up of Shia Muslim migrants who left their homeland after 1979 to escape the Islamic revolution.

Security sources said the Iranian Government was intent on monitoring them, fearing it was being undermined by their ideological and financial support of groups opposed to Tehran's regime.

Persian Cultural Foundation of Australia president Homer Abramian accused the Iranian regime of sending its agents to Australia under the guise of students, in some instances, and in other cases paying students to report back on local community affairs.

In 2005, former Chinese diplomat Chen Yonglin, who worked at the Chinese consulate in Sydney, revealed that Beijing had 1000 intelligence operatives working in Australia. A former member of the Chinese intelligence network, Hoa Fengjun, also said China had agents monitoring Australia's business groups, foreign policies and local community members opposed to the communist regime.

"The majority of the students are very nice people and from very good families ... but we know that some of them are spies and they are not here just for education," Mr Abramian said.

Iranian youth leader Nosrat Hosseini said she believed some international Iranian students in Melbourne were spying on local community members opposed to the Tehran Government.

The Melbourne-based secretary of the Iranian Womens Association said the students often used the Faulkner Mosque, a Shia place of worship in Melbourne's north, as an entry point to community affairs and functions.

She said the students were often interested in finding out information about the general sentiment held by the local community towards the Iranian regime.

"They also want to see whether there are anti-Iranian Government campaigns that people are involved in and about how much they know about human rights violations in Iran," Ms Hosseini said.

Mr Abramian said some Australians of Iranian heritage - who were predominantly hostile to Tehran's regime - also feared expressing their opposition to the Islamic republic during community gatherings.

There are 1421 Iranian students studying in Australian universities and other educational institutions this year, up from 307 in 2002, according to the Department of Education.

Most are full-fee-paying students, while a few are in Australia on Iranian Government-sponsored scholarships.
link to original article

----
((Deport them all back to Iran))

So long as ASIO know who they are, it may well be to our advantage to let them stay.

Spying on spies is an old but highly effective strategy to gain an insight into their contacts and communications etc. I would say that the fact that it has been published in the press indicates that it has been known about for some considerable time and perhaps things are getting too quiet, so we drop the cat among the pigeons to see where they go to roost.

Last edited:
Yep. Australian intelligence will have some work to do.
But universities have always been the traditional hiding place of spies along with the Embassy.

So long as ASIO know who they are, it may well be to our advantage to let them stay.

Spying on spies is an old but highly effective strategy to gain an insight into their contacts and communications etc. I would say that the fact that it has been published in the press indicates that it has been known about for some considerable time and perhaps things are getting too quiet, so we drop the cat among the pigeons to see where they go to roost.

Ah, btw, Swedish intelligence services deported an Iranian regime agent, couple of months ago, who was known for spying on Iranian dissidents in that country.

I'll see if I can find a link to that story

Updated: here is the link

http://mynewznideas.blogspot.com/2007/01/iranian-spy-found-in-sweden-lives.html

Last edited:
That was hilarious.
What the heck were Mossad agents doing in New Zealand that was high profile enough to lead to their capture? Israel? New Zealand? I don't see the link.
Not saying it didn't happen or anything... just saying that must have been a weird story.

That was hilarious.
What the heck were Mossad agents doing in New Zealand that was high profile enough to lead to their capture? Israel? New Zealand? I don't see the link.
Not saying it didn't happen or anything... just saying that must have been a weird story.

Aahh,... we Australians are only a backwater, but there's much that happens outside of the US you know.

Expulsion of Israeli envoy covered up

By Ed O'Loughlin Herald Correspondent in Jerusalem, Jonathan Pearlman and Cynthia Banham
February 5, 2005

Australia has secretly forced a senior Israeli diplomat to leave the country, for reasons that neither government will divulge.

The effective expulsion of the Canberra-based diplomat - described as a "consul" in Israel - has been covered up for several weeks. It was revealed in an Israeli newspaper, Ma'ariv, but inquiries about the story last night were met by a wall of "no comments" from the Australian Government.

More....
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...nvoy-covered-up/2005/02/04/1107476807834.html

That was hilarious.

i hope you're not referring to the rainbow warrior bombing as being "hilarious". state sponsored acts of terrorism ( in a friendly nations harbour no less) dont really rank highly on my hilarity meter. they DO however set off my "act-of-war" alarm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_the_Rainbow_Warrior

israelis_wideweb__430x340,1.jpg

Israeli citizens Eli Cara (left) and Uriel Zoshe Kelman were sentenced to six months' jail for attempting to fraudulently obtain New Zealand passports. Photo: AFP

they were here to gain fake passports, ended up taking the identity of a tetraplegic man. they were also found with canadian passports

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Israel-New_Zealand_spy_scandal

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,1262362,00.html

http://www.fpp.co.uk/BoD/Mossad/NZHerald160404.html

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/15/1089694491783.html

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/15/1089694491783.html

our relationship with isreal is only now starting to normalise

as you can imagine, NZ passports are pretty highly prized as were are part of the commonwealth and have a mostly positive rep over seas...moreover no one really thinks of NZ as a threat

Last edited:
Ahh I see. That's serious stuff.
Just thought the whole name "Rainbow Warrior" was kinda funny. Can't remember the story though I think I knew it pretty well when it happened.

Ahh I see. That's serious stuff.
Just thought the whole name "Rainbow Warrior" was kinda funny. Can't remember the story though I think I knew it pretty well when it happened.

Yes well I was all in favour of shooting the lot we caught and blowing a leg off the Eiffel Tower in reprisal, sadly the government at the time didn't share my views.

I remember the TV programe "Crime Stoppers" in the 90's revealed that a middle eastern terrorist was hiding in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. He was captured and deported(?) / arrested. Seems this was quite common pratice hiding out in the migrant comunity. After growing up in Melbourne it didn't surprise me at all. I put it down to a similar situation as that move with Brad Pitt and Harrison Ford about the IRA.

cheers

Back