Iranian regime crumbling?

phoenix80

Banned
January 28, 2007

Whose Iran?

By LAURA SECOR

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28iran.t.html?_r=2&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

These 2 paragraphs say it all:

Iran is not a poor country. It is highly urbanized and modern, with a sizable middle class. Oil revenues, which Iran has in abundance, should be channeling plenty of hard currency into the state’s coffers, and in fact the economy’s overall rate of growth is healthy and rising. But as Parvin Alizadeh, an economist at London Metropolitan University, explained to me, what ultimately matters is how the state spends its influx of wealth. The Iranian government has tried to create jobs swiftly and pacify the people by spending the oil money on new government-run projects. But these projects are not only overmanned and inefficient, like much of the country’s bloated and technologically backward public sector; they also increase the demand for consumer goods and services, driving up inflation.

For a Western traveler in Iran these days, it is hard to avoid a feeling of cognitive dissonance. From a distance, the Islamic republic appears to be at its zenith. But from the street level, Iran’s grand revolutionary experiment is beset with fragility. The state is in a sense defined by its contradictions, both constitutional and economic. It cannot be truly stable until it resolves them, and yet if it tries to do so, it may not survive.

Interesting article Phoenix. I've read a few now that suggest the same conclusions. I suspect the more moderating influences in Iran may win back control of the country and perhaps the US should extend a peaceful hand to those moderates. A friendly Iran can only help in the quest for Middle East / Persian Gulf peace. A lot depends on ordinary Iranian voters and so their destiny is in their own hands.

Interesting article Phoenix. I've read a few now that suggest the same conclusions. I suspect the more moderating influences in Iran may win back control of the country and perhaps the US should extend a peaceful hand to those moderates. A friendly Iran can only help in the quest for Middle East / Persian Gulf peace. A lot depends on ordinary Iranian voters and so their destiny is in their own hands.

Regime change in Iran will solve the problems of the middle-east. The key to peace in that region is to topple the mullahs.

Back