Iranian Power Plays

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/11/28/iranchechen.shtml

Iran is secretly training Chechen rebels to enable them to carry out more effective attacks against Russian forces.

Teams of Chechen fighters are being trained at the Revolutionary Guards’ Imam Ali training camp, located close to Tajrish Square in Tehran, the Sunday Telegraph cited Western intelligence reports.

In addition to receiving training in the latest terror techniques, the Chechen volunteers undergo ideological and political instruction by hardline Iranian mullahs at Qom.

The paper noted that this information would not “go down well in Moscow, which regards itself as a close ally of the Iranian regime.”

The paper pointed out that Russia had sided with Iran in the diplomatic stand-off over Tehran’s controversial nuclear program. While the British and American governments have accused Iran of having a clandestine nuclear weapons program, the Russians, who are building Iran’s Bushehr nuclear power plant, back Tehran’s claim that their nuclear intentions are solely peaceful.

A senior intelligence official quoted by the paper said Iran’s hardline president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, could have sanctioned the training of Chechen fighters in Tehran. “Just as they have orchestrated attacks against British troops in Basra to pressure Britain to drop its opposition to Iran’s nuclear program, so they are trying to put pressure on Moscow by backing Chechen fighters,” he said.

The last paragraph is the most intriguing of the article to me. It seems counter-intuitive to try and get people to cooperate with you by shooting at them and training forces to go against them in armed conflict. Does this seem right to anyone?

Well, this will ceratinly provide them with food for thought during tea! Bloody hell, Putin will be pretty upset!

Mosnews is pretty accurate, its a definite pro-western news source to be sure. Its as least as accurate as say the LA Times or Washington Post from what friends have told me and stories I have seen there and other places.

Back