Iranian Fighter Jet Crashes, 2 Killed

rock45

1 day ago

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — An Iranian air force F-4 Phantom jet crashed into the Oman Sea on Monday off the southeastern coast of Iran, killing both pilots, the official IRNA news agency reported.

The jet, belonging to the army air force, crashed into the sea near the port of Konarak during a training flight, and "both pilots ... were martyred," IRNA said. During the pro-Western rule of Shah Reza Pahlavi, Iran's air force was considered the best-equipped in the region and operated some of America's most capable aircraft. But following the installation of an Islamic regime in 1979, relations quickly soured and resulted in a U.S. arms embargo that remains in effect. Left without spare parts during the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war, Iran's air force had to keep its planes flying by cannibalizing other jets. Although Iran has purchased an unspecified number of Russian-made Sukhoi fighter jets in the past two decades, experts agree that the bulk of its air force is still made up of Vietnam War-era F-14s, F-4 Phantoms and F-5s.

Full story
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jKSngq2n6KmCZkduDiuBUPKx5O0AD8T5E87

1 day ago

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — An Iranian air force F-4 Phantom jet crashed into the Oman Sea on Monday off the southeastern coast of Iran, killing both pilots, the official IRNA news agency reported.
How many F-4 Phantoms does Iran have in service? Do they receive maintenance like they are supposed to, or is there jets subject to the same treatment as there other hardware.

Numbers

Numbers are rough to come by I assume very few are combat ready and a slightly higher number are flyable. From what I've read about F-4s one might say there not maintenace free types. So one can only imagin with so many years with so little to keep them going only a low number of them would be flyable at best. Since so many countries flew them I assume one could buy black market parts but they to would run out over time. The same goes for there F-14s which are high maintenace aircraft for our US Navy can only imagin the same or even more difficult for there AF as well. Mig-29 in general are high maintenance as well so three of there main fighter types could only be fielded in low numbers at best. This is a country that couldn't finish off Iraq in almost 8 years of fighting. They should have been buying Mig-29s years ago and been right behind Pakistan in ordering that JF-17 fighter, still better then a J-7 Fishbed copy. There Su-24s might be there best aircraft which I think they have a little under 30 at one time. Unsure on tankers and most likely no AWACS so basically a weak air force that even with oil money allowed to waste away. Even with the bans placed on them buying Russian and Chinese is better then having nothing at least get there pilots stick time.

Back