Iran warns Russia over S-300 Deal

IRAN WARNS RUSSIA OVER S-300 DEAL

A senior Iranian lawmaker warns that any attempt by Moscow to back down on a deal to the deliver S-300 air defense system to Iran 'would run counter to Russia's interests'.

"The S-300 case, which is an old case, marks a new chapter in Russia's failure to keep its end of the deal," Iran's Parliament (Majlis) National Security and Foreign Policy Committee Chief Alaeddin Boroujerdi told reporters on Sunday.

Boroujerdi was referring to a contract signed between the Tehran government and the Kremlin in 2007.

2hp7yw1.jpg

Above: Foreign Policy committee cheif Alaeddin Boroujerdi
"Given the extensive bilateral cooperation between the two countries, it would run counter to Russia's interests if negotiations fail to bear fruit in this matter," the influential lawmaker added.

Iran has opted to acquire the sophisticated S-300 defense system in reaction to Israeli rhetoric against Tehran. The missile defense system, according to Western experts, would shield Iranian nuclear sites against any Israeli airstrike.

"If Tehran obtained the S-300, it would be a game-changer in military thinking for tackling Iran," says long-time Pentagon advisor Dan Goure.

The S-300 surface-to-air missile system can track targets and fire at aircraft 120 kilometers (75 miles) away. The system features high jamming immunity and is able to simultaneously engage up to 100 targets.
ixzf44.jpg

Above: The Soviet/Russian S-300 [NATO Designation: SA-10 "Grumble"]
The Israeli officials have on numerous occasions expressed concern over the possibility of the system being delivered to Iran.

"The S-300 is a Russian-made surface-to-air missile system that is very advanced, with long ranges and many capabilities," Israeli Air Force (IAF) commander, Major General Ido Nehushtan said in September.

"We need to make every effort to stop this system from getting to places where the IAF needs to operate or may need to operate in the future," he added.

While Russia's Federal Service for Military and Technical Cooperation said in October that Moscow would fulfill its commitment according to its 'international obligations', there has been interminable confusion reigning over the delivery of the defense system.
52at4y.jpg

Above: The S-300 launching one of it's missiles.
Boroujerdi warned that should Russia fail to fulfill its promises regarding the S-300 missile system, 'a negative point in the two states' relations would emerge'.

Original Link:
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=110760&sectionid=351020101

I wonder why Isreal is so cocerned about having advanced SAMs in Iran... Of all places? Ha ha

I wudnt be suprised if they ended on top of those enrichment sites, stoping any impeding any possible impeding western/Isreali airstrikes...somewhat...

Im under the Impression that Israel isnt too fond of Iran.

If they had a fair few S-300's then that would seriously make people think twice about Iran. If they had a fair few S-400's however launching air strikes and such is nothing less than suicidal.

Im under the Impression that Israel isnt too fond of Iran.

If they had a fair few S-300's then that would seriously make people think twice about Iran. If they had a fair few S-400's however launching air strikes and such is nothing less than suicidal.

O no there are still ways you can bring airpower to bear even if there are SAMs, with longer range anti radiation missiles that can be fired outside the engagement zone for some of the missiles, and air attack isn't completely outside the question.

Is Iran threatening its only influential friend in the world?

To be honest, if Russia refuses to bend it's knee to Iran and dose take real steps in stop it- it will have earned respect from me- and thats downright rare.

I wonder why Isreal is so cocerned about having advanced SAMs in Iran... Of all places? Ha ha

I wudnt be suprised if they ended on top of those enrichment sites, stoping any impeding any possible impeding western/Isreali airstrikes...somewhat...

because of the comment their president made about the holocaust being a made up story, and him saying he wanted to "wipe Israel off the map".
Personally if I lived in Israel I'd be a little nervous too

If they piss off Russia, where else to they expect to get almost handouts on military hardware?

Well actually you should give some of the Islamic countries some credit. If Iran tries hard enough they could probably get Kornet ATGM's, RPG-29's [Probably from Hezbollah] and RPG-32 [From Jordan]. They will penetrate a Merkava and very likely damage a M1.

When it comes to air defence they will probably have to rely on their F-14's and RPG-7's, though.

But of course, it would be much, much wiser to stick with Russia than to go begging to Abdullah Al-Jarif Kanar or Mahmoud Kabdulla Zaraffi or some other people with funky names for weapons.

Russian bear can sh*t on Iran if it wanted to. I'm sure Putkin is sleeping well despite Iran's whining. Iran should realize that it is a pawn caught between Russia, China and the Western World.

It was a very crude joke. You said they will get stuff from their "Arab buddies", so then i said "Tumbleweed", symbolising that the Arab militaries have schitt and peanuts.

Ohhh ok, :) I thought it meant something like that but I wasn't sure?

I don;t worry to much about Iran, after acdumbazed's comment I'm sure Israel will take care of that country

Israel will have a hard time doing so, with the entire word itching to slap Israel on the wrists, action maybe unlikely.

Back