Iran/USA Conflict - Page 4

--

December 8th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Yep, Russia and the USA can team up to spectacularly make the Human Race extinct. Russia never had more that the USA but politicians tried to make Americans believe they did a long time back.

Actually, I wasn't trying to list them by quantity at all. China would be 3rd if I had. Just throwing them out there -- Those are the countries can drop a nuclear warhead as of this moment. Anya1982 seems to know of some others, but those are the nations that are known to the world to be 100% nuke capable. And it sortof goes without saying that lots of former USSR nations have some too.
December 8th, 2004  
MichaelO

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO
Is that in order of quantity? If so, you might want to switch the USA and Russia around. Russia has 700 more Nuclear weapons.
not exactly, active nuclear weapons wise the US has some 7,000 active warheads vs Russia's 5,000. If you were to look at total numbers the US is probably behind by ~500 warheads or so. In the scheme of things we're pretty much even.
Those numbers are a year old and not accurate at best.

I'll find the web pages which listed the numbers at USA's 7,000 vs Russia's 7,800. (I was thinking 2,000, vs 2,700 for some reason, silly me)

http://www.thebulletin.org/article_n...ofn=mj04norris for the US.

http://www.thebulletin.org/article_n...ofn=ja04norris for the Russian.
December 8th, 2004  
egoz

Actually the 2,000 and 2,700 numbers look reminicent of the START II treaty. Weren't they supposed to have been reduced to that much by now? I realize that it's been abandoned but we were supposed to be around there.
--
December 8th, 2004  
MichaelO

Indeed, I think thats what I was thinking of. Just shows how Apathetic we are as a species.
December 9th, 2004  
rostam

“The USA doesn't appreciate the label: "The Great Satan"…”

Of all the labels this has got to be one of the greatest. I remember one of my American friends was very fond of it.

I think the grudges are significant in some circles, but I would argue that the majority of the conflict rests on economic and political issues, like price of oil for example. This is why Saudi Arabia, a country that is pumping 800,000 bpd above OPEC quota, much to the dismay of Iran, remains a close US ally despite their heavier social restrictions and the recent terrorist attacks against America.

One scenario which I think Iran is considering is the improved relationship between China and US during the Nixon administration, despite major conflicts of interests between the two countries. So WMDs will be an essential element if Iran intends to employ this “Chinese model”.

On the social level there has been a lot of communication recently between the two countries, like UC Davis chancellor visiting Iran, University of Chicago, MIT, Library of Congress visited Iran recently, Earthquake aid, Sports, and communication via internet and so on. It is said that second to Israel, Iranians are the most friendly to America in the Middle East. For example, after 911 thousands in Iran held public candle vigils and memorials for the victims. But in America it is a different story. Americans in general know little about Iran and could care less. However, their foreign policy views are heavily dependent on mass media, so it could change very quickly depending on government policy and media behavior.
December 9th, 2004  
HEHEHAHA

I think the problem is Israel, America Israeli own one third of American assets/money. Israeli hate Muslim...
December 9th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

The American Media could be a problem. They seem to have a tendency to cast Iran in a bad light. Of course, Americans trust them less and less as Michael Moore and Dan Rather and other events transpire. I think that the Media's main gripe with Iran is mostly about women's rights and that sort of thing. No matter the level of Iranian improvement, I'm not certain that American Media sources will bother reporting it and they will continue to make everything out to be worse than it is.
December 9th, 2004  
HEHEHAHA

Michael Moore ,it seems to me that he abuses his freedom
December 9th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

The problem is Media sources push for their own agenda. Michael Moore, once all of his lovely Farenheit 9/11 work was debunked and discreditted (Farenhype 9/11 details it point by point), he did a lot more harm than good to the Democratic Party. Same is true of Dan Rather.

The Liberal bias of the Media in America tends to be overstated, but hopefully embarassing situations make them rethink how they do what they do. It can be hoped that such change will cast nations like Iran in a better light or at least report when they improve.

As far as Israel goes, one of the most disappointing things in recent history was the failed attempt by the Clinton Administration to broker a peaceful resolution. It would be an IMMENSE relief if there were some settlement to the Israel/Palestine situation. Sadly, much of Islam doesn't put the majority of the blame where it should be: Squarely on the Palestinian Extremist Groups who's attacks ruined it all.