Is Iran a Threat?

The only global threat Iran is, is to the oil supply, which that threat will decrease everyday as we become less dependent on it. I still do not want them with a Nuke and it has been stated by Leon Panetta that they are not seeking a nuclear weapon, just nuclear capabilities. I also would like U.S to negotiate more fairly with Iran.

I agree here, I hope I am not giving the impression that their is some holier than thou solution to this situation.

Someone somewhere is in the end going to have to hold the full brown paper bag.

It's just the over exaggeration and the searching for any small reason to create a crisis, as an adovcate towards war so American policy maker's can get things done the "easy way" is something I am as a citizen against.

And hope that this never becomes our only means of achieving national goals, as history shows that never really works out for long. Especially in today's accelerated society.

No that is the Israeli interpretation of who they are killing just like if we were to look at how few civilian casualties there were in Iraq and Afghanistan primarily because the dead suddenly become insurgents and in Israel they are militants.

As for Caliphates and grand empires, here is a thought I am prepared to bet that the King of Jordan wants to stay the King of Jordan as does the King of Saudi Arabia, the President of Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Turkey and just about every leader in the ME world so if none of them plan to give up power how do you think you will get this Caliphate?

Stop with the children's scary stories and focus on reality here will you.

Egypt Islamist vows global caliphate in Jerusalem

VIEW: Radical Islam — Ishtiaq Ahmed

What Motivates Jihadi Terrorism?

Look at the conflicts in the world, who's fighting who and why.
These are not children's scary stories. It's reality.

Your country has about 36.000 muslims. Belgium has more than 600.000. Once the muslim population grows bigger and more radical you will talk differently.
In Belgium it also started small and very peaceful. Now we have muslim neighbourhoods where non-muslims, and even police, are not welcome.

Hmm wow 36000 Muslims and the only terrorist attack in its history was carried out by the French go figure, maybe we got the quiet ones?

But I will play the game:
Religion in New Zealand
- Protestant 38.6% (Anglican 13.8%, Presbyterian, Congregational, and Reformed 10%, Christian (no denomination specified) 4.6%, Methodist 3%, Pentecostal 2%, Baptist 1.4%, other Christian 3.8%)
- Roman Catholic 12.6%.
- Maori Christian 1.6%.
- Hindu 1.6%.
- Jedi 1.5%
- Buddhist 1.3%.
- other religions 2.2%.
- none 32.2%.
- other or unidentified 9.9% (2006 Census)

Jedi census phenomenon
Encouraged by an informal email campaign, over 53,000 people listed themselves as Jedi in New Zealand's 2001 census (over 1.5% of responses). If the Jedi response had been accepted as valid it would have been the second largest religion in New Zealand. However, Statistics New Zealand treated Jedi responses as "Answer understood, but will not be counted". The city of Dunedin (a university town) had the highest population of reported Jedi per capita. In the 2006 census only 20,000 people gave Jedi as their religion.

So I think we are "safe" for a while as I am sure the Buddhists and Hindu's will put up a spirited defence and then they will have to get past the Jedi faith at 1.5% but it is good to know that 32.2% of Kiwi's don't believe in any of that mumbo jumbo.

Last edited:
If Israel is not scrutinised for having nuclear capabilities, why should iran be scrutinised?

Because Israel didn't sign the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. Iran did and violated it. That's why there are UNSC sanctions on them.

This is just one opinion out of many.
How wonderful that we in the west have a free press that can write exactly what they want.

How wonderful that we in the west have a free press that can write exactly what they want.

Sometimes no matter your opinion, there will be droves of people willing to still call you an ###hole.

Such is this underlying factor in understanding all world affairs.

Originally Posted by 42RM
You say this when you don’t have anything else to say. I expect you to bring some reasons to justify your large nuke arsenals, the criminal Israel nukes or at least your modernization programs. Although I think it wouldn’t be a logical reason.

Would that be the same "biased liberal media" that this site so often complains about, you know the one that doesn't care about the truth only about selling stories?

It always amuses me how bad the media is when the story does not favour us yet it is the greatest freedom we have when it does.

You say this when you don’t have anything else to say. I expect you to bring some reasons to justify your large nuke arsenals, the criminal Israel nukes or at least your modernization programs. Although I think it wouldn’t be a logical reason.

The large nuke arsenal of the USA and Russia is because of the cold war, not because of Iran. As long as any other country has nukes the US nor Russia nor China will abandon them.

There is no proof Israel has nuclear weapons allthough everyone thinks they have.
Israel is also the only country that has been attacked so many times in such a short period of time by so many nations (all muslim and Arabic). From the foundation of Israel up untill now Iran has not been attacked once.

About freedom of press. In the "west" you can write and read almost anything, even pro Al Qaida articles or anti Iran. Your country does not even allow the BBC to transmit its TV channel.

Iran Cracks Down On Satellite Dishes As U.N. Body Bans Signal Jamming

in my mind it all comes down to religion/dictatorship.

the sooner the world is rid of countries/regimes run by religion or dictatorship, the better.

that's why i throw my support behind the west, as they are secular democracies

and that is why many westerners feel the iranian regime, note not iran itself, is a growing threat

No it comes down to choice, if people are happy with the system of government they have then so be it after all Democracy is rule by the people.
The west spends far too much time trying to mould everything into an image of what it believes is right but in almost every instances it fails to understand the wishes of people it is pretending to help.

No it comes down to choice, if people are happy with the system of government they have then so be it after all Democracy is rule by the people.
The west spends far too much time trying to mould everything into an image of what it believes is right but in almost every instances it fails to understand the wishes of people it is pretending to help.

Democracy is actually not "ruled by the people" further studies needed, even if the word means that. The closest to it is Switzerland; it is called "direct democracy."

in my mind it all comes down to religion/dictatorship.

the sooner the world is rid of countries/regimes run by religion or dictatorship, the better.

that's why i throw my support behind the west, as they are secular democracies

and that is why many westerners feel the iranian regime, note not iran itself, is a growing threat
If we are to understand anything at all about what has happened in the past and is happening today in the Muslim world, we must appreciate the universality and centrality of religion as a factor in the lives of the Muslim peoples.

Regardless of how an Islamic state chooses to structure its government, any process of reform will only be successful if Muslims are allowed to be Muslims and to retain their core ideals. The final realization of human rights in the Islamic world may not occur overnight, but even the Prophet Muhammad recognized social reform as an achievable, but gradual, goal.

i guess my ideal is for a world where religion has no influence at all in the policies of a state.

education is what's needed in the islamic world. until they go through some sort of enlightenment, there is little hope for a brighter future for these countries in my opinion. trying to be all PC about it doesn't help us or them in the long run

benaakatz:
i guess my ideal is for a world where religion has no influence at all in the policies of a state.

education is what's needed in the islamic world. until they go through some sort of enlightenment, there is little hope for a brighter future for these countries in my opinion. trying to be all PC about it doesn't help us or them in the long run
You want to enlighten us? At the time your ancestors were living in the center and north of Europe jungles, our ancestors were founding the basis of the world civilization in Sumer, Egypt, Persia and Babylon in Middle East 5000 years ago. You understood the mean of civilization word when you found the Christianity religion which had emerged in the Middle East.

Last edited:
Well, The United States remains a deeply religious country and religion plays an inextricably critical role in American politics. Controversy over issues such as abortion is fueled by opposition in the Catholic Church and among conservative Protestants, candidates for the presidency are questioned about their religious beliefs, and the separation of church and state remains hotly contested.

Well, The United States remains a deeply religious country and religion plays an inextricably critical role in American politics. Controversy over issues such as abortion is fueled by opposition in the Catholic Church and among conservative Protestants, candidates for the presidency are questioned about their religious beliefs, and the separation of church and state remains hotly contested.

Begs the question of if we will ever grow up and be able to sperate our personal affairs and emotions out of the critical affairs of goverment and foerign policy.

I don't understand how difficult this is, it's like keeping the gossip down at the work place.

Back