Is Iran a Threat? - Page 10




 
--
Is Iran a Threat?
 
May 5th, 2012  
Big_Z
 
 
Is Iran a Threat?
Some of the worst IED tech in Iraq was brought from Iran.

They have launched documented excursions into ME AOs operated by US troops.

A high profile failed assassin attempt on American soil.

State sponsored terrorism carried out by Iran through its proxies and its QUDs forces.

Currently enriching Uranium well beyond the limits needed for nuclear power plants.

Iran is a threat but to what degree is debatable. The government apears at times to lack unity and allot of the West finds this troubling.
May 5th, 2012  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
Some of the worst IED tech in Iraq was brought from Iran.

They have launched documented excursions into ME AOs operated by US troops.

A high profile failed assassin attempt on American soil.

State sponsered terrorism carried out by Iran through its proxies and its QUDs forces.

Currently enriching Uranium well beyond the limits needed for nuclear power plants.

Iran is a threat but to what degree is debatable. The government apears at times to lack unity and allot of the West finds this troubling.
The problem here is however one of double standards because Western countries are doing exactly the same thing as is at least one ME country and we turn a blind eye to that.

Lets be honest here:
How many "assassinations" has Israel carried out in the last few years, but we pass that off as "right of self-defence".

The USA has invaded two ME countries in the last twelve years so I think it could be equally said that US and NATO forces are operating in an environment that Iranian forces were also in.

I am prepared to bet that if you look at a lot of IED's you will find almost all of the killing components have a made in China, Russia or USA stamp on them somewhere and all the technical components say made in Japan or Korea.

The fact is that from a Western point of view you are right but that is only one side of a two headed coin and it is a double standard to complain about things we are equally as guilty of.
May 5th, 2012  
Yossarian
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
Some of the worst IED tech in Iraq was brought from Iran.

They have launched documented excursions into ME AOs operated by US troops.

A high profile failed assassin attempt on American soil.

State sponsered terrorism carried out by Iran through its proxies and its QUDs forces.

Currently enriching Uranium well beyond the limits needed for nuclear power plants.

Iran is a threat but to what degree is debatable. The government apears at times to lack unity and allot of the West finds this troubling.
Lest we forget sometimes "threats" have their uses.

Iran was mentioned as a threat to the U.S. because the U.S. wants to announce it.

Can you imagine how many high profile assasination attempts go completly unnanouced each year?

To some degree the U.S. benifits from having Iran as the continual precieved threat, and although long term policy may not be geared toward this, short policy seems to be quite tailored to having and ensuring Iran is , and stays the bad guy.
--
Is Iran a Threat?
May 5th, 2012  
Big_Z
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
The problem here is however one of double standards because Western countries are doing exactly the same thing as is at least one ME country and we turn a blind eye to that.

Lets be honest here:
How many "assassinations" has Israel carried out in the last few years, but we pass that off as "right of self-defence".

The USA has invaded two ME countries in the last twelve years so I think it could be equally said that US and NATO forces are operating in an environment that Iranian forces were also in.

I am prepared to bet that if you look at a lot of IED's you will find almost all of the killing components have a made in China, Russia or USA stamp on them somewhere and all the technical components say made in Japan or Korea.

The fact is that from a Western point of view you are right but that is only one side of a two headed coin and it is a double standard to complain about things we are equally as guilty of.
The IED designs Iran funneled into Iraq was an act of aggression. It's not about specific parts, the Iranians were using military developed and funded technologies against US personel. It was dilberate and personal.

I know neither side is completely innocent and I see this situaition as reconcilable if they give up their nuclear ambitions.
May 5th, 2012  
MontyB
 
 
Fair enough however I don't see the situation as reconcilable as neither side is prepared to step outside their own mindset long enough to understand the other sides opinion.

However as long as Israel do not do anything silly I doubt anything will become of the posturing even if Iran go down the nuclear weapons path, in the end Iran knows that to fire a nuclear weapon at someone or give one to a third party that will use it is certain destruction and the one thing people in power have in common is the desire to stay there at any cost.
May 7th, 2012  
VDKMS
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
The problem here is however one of double standards because Western countries are doing exactly the same thing as is at least one ME country and we turn a blind eye to that.

Lets be honest here:
How many "assassinations" has Israel carried out in the last few years, but we pass that off as "right of self-defence".

The USA has invaded two ME countries in the last twelve years so I think it could be equally said that US and NATO forces are operating in an environment that Iranian forces were also in.

I am prepared to bet that if you look at a lot of IED's you will find almost all of the killing components have a made in China, Russia or USA stamp on them somewhere and all the technical components say made in Japan or Korea.

The fact is that from a Western point of view you are right but that is only one side of a two headed coin and it is a double standard to complain about things we are equally as guilty of.

You forget to mention that
- Israel assasinates only people who attacked Israel.
- the Iraqis were very happy that the US coalition removed Saddam.
- the US forces fought alongside an Afgan tribal coalition.

The stronger IED's do come from Iran made with Iranian components.

These conflicts have nothing to do with double standards but with religious fanatics who don't want non-muslim boots on muslim ground. They want a muslim caliphate and the US coalition stands in the way.
May 7th, 2012  
VDKMS
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
Lest we forget sometimes "threats" have their uses.

Iran was mentioned as a threat to the U.S. because the U.S. wants to announce it.

Can you imagine how many high profile assasination attempts go completly unnanouced each year?

To some degree the U.S. benifits from having Iran as the continual precieved threat, and although long term policy may not be geared toward this, short policy seems to be quite tailored to having and ensuring Iran is , and stays the bad guy.
The Iranian global threat is not that they are working on nuclear ICBM's to attack everyone but that they are becoming a very strong force so they could reign over the ME oil supplies, and that is a global threat.
May 7th, 2012  
Yossarian
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
The Iranian global threat is not that they are working on nuclear ICBM's to attack everyone but that they are becoming a very strong force so they could reign over the ME oil supplies, and that is a global threat.
It's a global threat only when the west has something their they want.

Massacres , huge refugee camps, and tyrants rising and falling from power have devestated other parts of the globe.

But they failed to reach the newslines because there are no minerals resources, commodities of fossil fuels worth extracting there.

And this nonsense about Iranian forces possibly intruding in American AO's in the Middle East.

Well what did you think would happen?

You set up on thier borders and deploy in their neighborhood so what makes American policy maker's think Iran wouldn't scope things out in their own back yard?

And that was before the drone mishap.
May 7th, 2012  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
You forget to mention that
- Israel assasinates only people who attacked Israel.
- the Iraqis were very happy that the US coalition removed Saddam.
- the US forces fought alongside an Afgan tribal coalition.

The stronger IED's do come from Iran made with Iranian components.

These conflicts have nothing to do with double standards but with religious fanatics who don't want non-muslim boots on muslim ground. They want a muslim caliphate and the US coalition stands in the way.
No that is the Israeli interpretation of who they are killing just like if we were to look at how few civilian casualties there were in Iraq and Afghanistan primarily because the dead suddenly become insurgents and in Israel they are militants.

As for Caliphates and grand empires, here is a thought I am prepared to bet that the King of Jordan wants to stay the King of Jordan as does the King of Saudi Arabia, the President of Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Turkey and just about every leader in the ME world so if none of them plan to give up power how do you think you will get this Caliphate?

Stop with the children's scary stories and focus on reality here will you.
May 7th, 2012  
RayManKiller3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
It's a global threat only when the west has something their they want.

Massacres , huge refugee camps, and tyrants rising and falling from power have devestated other parts of the globe.

But they failed to reach the newslines because there are no minerals resources, commodities of fossil fuels worth extracting there.

And this nonsense about Iranian forces possibly intruding in American AO's in the Middle East.

Well what did you think would happen?

You set up on thier borders and deploy in their neighborhood so what makes American policy maker's think Iran wouldn't scope things out in their own back yard?

And that was before the drone mishap.

National interest will always come before advancing humanity. There is plenty of mineral resources in Africa and we been there for awhile now, it just gets less publicity. Basically, I am saying it is not because this region do not have resources that it do not receive much attention. A lot of people know what is going on in Africa, but they look at it in a realistic perspective. What will we get from it? Is it worth risking our men's lives for it? People lose faith in the regions of M.E and Africa as they hear nothing, but bad news about it. Just like you said, the only reason we keep ourselves in M.E is because of oil. You must not forget we can't help the whole world and it will always be a mindset of risk/benefit calculations. U.N was made to decrease war and end genocide, it have no true power (itself) to just take out some African leader who treats his people poorly. This depends on the nations willing to risk their people for something that they might see as not truly worth it.

We tried helping Somalia and got guns pointed in our face.

The only global threat Iran is, is to the oil supply, which that threat will decrease everyday as we become less dependent on it. I still do not want them with a Nuke and it has been stated by Leon Panetta that they are not seeking a nuclear weapon, just nuclear capabilities. I also would like U.S to negotiate more fairly with Iran.

There is said to have been a secret letter written from Iran to U.S that they would stop aiding Hamas, Hezbollah, and allow more compromises on their nuclear energy. This letter has been said to have been thrown away by the Bush administration. The Obama administration I believe is against a strike on them as well.

Another reason I don't want a Republican in power at this current time. I have only seen rhetoric speeches against Iran in Republican speeches. Not something we need at the moment.
 


Similar Topics
Israel test-fires missile as Iran threat looms
De-Arabization of Iran
What If Iran Gets the Bomb? Good Analysis
Rice warns Iran of UN sanctions
Iran's Military