Iran sees US choppers near its frontiers

--

November 6th, 2008  
UnitedSomalia

Topic: Iran sees US choppers near its frontiers

TEHRAN, Iran Iran's military says U.S. helicopters have been flying too close to its border with Iraq and may even have crossed the frontier.
The statement, carried by the state news agency Wednesday, says the helicopters were seen in Iraq and are "likely to violate Iranian airspace".
The Iranian military said it would respond to any violation of its borders and warned the U.S. military to keep its distance.
The U.S. military has over 150,000 troops in Iraq who make extensive use of helicopters to transport forces and carry out patrols.
Iraq-based U.S. forces carried out a raid on neighboring Syria on Oct. 26, killing eight people.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081105/...aXCrN4EXcLewgF
November 6th, 2008  
UnitedSomalia

I think if this is America testing Iran's reactions at the border in order to repeat their recent actions in Syria and Pakistan in Iran, it would be a mistake they would regret. Iran is not a restrained as Syria and Pakistan, Iran will most likely reverse recent gains of security in Iraq if America carries such a reckless action. Lets remember that General Petraeus said that recent gains on Shiite militias are due to Iran curtailing its support for them, and if Shiite ruled Iraq who recently condemned America's attack on Syrian soil and who is demanding that SOFA agreement stipulate that America will never use Iraqi soil to attack its neighbors will drift further towards Iran's arms. You will also see IRGC further infiltrate Iraq and launch strikes against American forces as retaliation and America will not be in any position to escalate the situation. I think Iran is not Syria and Pakistan who feel constrained in any retaliations, Iran is actually itching for a pretext to escalate the Iraqi situation it is in a far more advantages position to strike back at America unlike Syria and Pakistan. It will be in strategic failure if America gives Iran the pretext to escalate situation in Iraq and portray itself as the victim while it sends the IRGC further into Iraq to disrupt the country.
November 6th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Iraq happens to be next to Iran.
And sometimes things need to be taken in and out to areas near the border.
--
November 6th, 2008  
UnitedSomalia

In that case Redneck if your line of thinking that "Iraq happens to be next to Iran. And sometimes things need to be taken in and out to areas near the border " was correct then Russia was justified in taken things over to Georgia when Georgian invasion of South Ossetia killed Russian citizens and Russian peacekeepers, and that since Iraq is next to Iran then Iran should be able to take things out to areas across the border into Iraq. See just like the American government you argue for the violations of international laws and UN charter in order to violate sovereign foreign nations territories and I bet when other nations such as Russia or Iran uses the pretext that America is setting you will be the first people alongside the American government hypocritically screaming foul.

You can't have it both ways, if America is to going open the door and disregard international law and violate sovereign nations then using your line of reasoning it should be prefectly legitimate that Russia took things over the border into Georgia proper and Iran taking things over the border into Iraq. I can only imagine what madness to come in your line of thinking Redneck now that America opened the door and violated the sovereignty of Iraq illegally, and is now violating Pakistan and Syria while eyeing Iran as the next country to be violated.
November 6th, 2008  
Topmaul

Now I have to disagree, South Osettia and Iraq are completley different, to be honest I had no problem with the Russians smashing Georgia for that underhanded military opertation into SO under cover of the Olympics. The 58th did very well considering the fact that they were a reaction force and had not planned to invade.

If our helicopters are skirting the Iranian boarder tough for Iran, if they cross the boarder then there is a problem but as long as we stay on the Iraqi side then it's fine.

I would agree that we have done a few things that were wrong and I don't like the "do as I say not as I do" politics of our current administration.
November 6th, 2008  
A Can of Man

The point being, they were still in Iraq.
And Iraq happens to be next to Iran.
And things may have to be taken in and out of certain towns or areas close to Iran. Not too surprising since Iran sent a lot of intel folks into Iraq to stir up some of the troubles there.
November 6th, 2008  
c/Commander

Agreed. We can fly where we like in Iraqi airspace. If that happens to be a foot from the Iranian border, tough luck.
November 7th, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by c/Commander
Agreed. We can fly where we like in Iraqi airspace. If that happens to be a foot from the Iranian border, tough luck.
Remember that works both ways though.
November 7th, 2008  
c/Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Remember that works both ways though.
True, but that's their right as well as ours.
November 7th, 2008  
A Can of Man

No one said anything about Iranians flying around in Iran.