Iran Revolutionary Guards: Unit engraved emblem on U.S. ship

phoenix80

Banned
A commander in Iran's Revolutionary Guards said Wednesday that a commando unit has engraved the military organization's emblem into the side panel of an American warship stationed in the Persian Gulf.

Nur Ali Shushkari, the head of the Revolutionary Guards ground forces, told Iranian pro-government news agencies that the symbol was etched onto the ship by the crew of a submarine that had managed to reach the U.S. vessel without detection by radar.

Shushkari did not release specific details about the incident, but claimed that the operation proved that Iranian forces are following American fleet traffic in the region.

Shushkari warned the United States that if a confrontation arises, all American forces in the gulf as well as targets inside the U.S. itself would be targets for attack.

In recent months, the U.S. has increased its forces in the Persian Gulf and has carried out a number of exercise maneuvers which have been viewed by the Iranians as threatening.

Despite this, U.S. President George Bush has insisted that the American army has no plans to invade Iran.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/826019.html

-----------------

This is really stupid

Thats cute. Now they need to test their skills by getting back those Iranian officials we snatched.

And what does it mean? I mean lets assume that they could do it. what significance does that have? It means nothing

And what does it mean? I mean lets assume that they could do it. what significance does that have? It means nothing

If it were true Phoenix, it would certainly raise a lot of questions about the vessel's security arrangements. However it seems odd to me that an enemy force would run the risks involved just to show that they could, would it not be more sensible from their point of view to take some explosive device, a limpet mine or whatever?

PR, to prove that they could do it, show the world what they are capable of, however if the Iranians did do this (which I doubt given that they couldn't name the ship, what port it was in or even what country that port is a part of) they just threw away their best hand because now we know they can get near our ships and we will beef up security. Another glaring error can be found in this statement: "Nur Ali Shushkari, the head of the Revolutionary Guards ground forces, told Iranian pro-government news agencies that the symbol was etched onto the ship by the crew of a submarine that had managed to reach the U.S. vessel without detection by radar." Of course it would avoid detection by radar, it's a freakin submersible (I say submersible because a submarine is far too large to sneak into any port even under cover of darkness) and radar doesn't work too well under water.

If it were true Phoenix, it would certainly raise a lot of questions about the vessel's security arrangements. However it seems odd to me that an enemy force would run the risks involved just to show that they could, would it not be more sensible from their point of view to take some explosive device, a limpet mine or whatever?

Agreed...

I don't think they'll bother. Just like I don't think there's much credence to the story. That's why I'll wait till I see the evidence before commenting further.

I was just trying to imagine some guy working in the water with an engraver. I suppose it's quieter than an air chisel. The mind boggles.

I don't think they'll bother. Just like I don't think there's much credence to the story. That's why I'll wait till I see the evidence before commenting further.

I was just trying to imagine some guy working in the water with an engraver. I suppose it's quieter than an air chisel. The mind boggles.

I do not believe the Navy would bother either, and if the US Navy did bother to look, I'd say there would be a good chance that video would be on the Web by now with claims of the US Navy erasing evidence of said engraved emblem.

Back