iran as nuclear power ?

I think at this point, there are enough enemies in the world with nukes that the next World War will be the last. So we'll either learn to get along, or blow each other to kingdom come.

Well... the only real danger I think is if Iran actually managed to lose their nukes to extremists by means of theft. I don't think Iran's leadership is crazy enough to give their nuclear weapons to terrorists or their own Special Forces to conduct an attack on the US. If their operation is uncovered or when successful the nuke is traced to Iran it's guaranteed that America will blast them off the face of the earth. I don't think they really want that.
Until then there's going to be a heck of a lot of bluffing and maneuvering from both sides with a nuclear armed Iran, even more so than now. I guess Bush's missile defense project wasn't such bullsh*t after all.

Right, wrong, or indifferent we will now see how much of Bush's policies were bs, and how much was actually what was needed at the time.

True, but now Iran is in a position of strength, things can't get much worse, sanctions have pretty much cut everything.

The Russians are supplying the nuclear fuel, the reactor is on the go & they have centrifuges up and running, from what I can gather they're all but ready to get themselves into the nuclear club.

It's a shame that we (the West) didn't try to get them into the fold sooner, but them's the breaks. So they will join India, Pakistan & Israel & holders of nuclear weapons, who haven't signed the non proliferation treaty. So who will be next?

As far as Israel goes I think that assuming the Iranians do get a nuclear weapon(and according to a report in Israeli new papers today, its only a matter of them deciding to do so), I would say there are 2 options:

1) If Irans leadres will stand by their statments that Israel must be erased from the face of the earth, they will launch a nuclear attack on Israel. Israel will end its existance as a country but the immidiate respons will probably bring the end of the current Iranian regiem. Israel will react with a very powerfull nuclear attack that will kill millions of Iranis, and the world will do the rest to get rid of the current irani rulers.

2) The Iranians will use their nuclear weapons to give Israels enemies like Syria, Hezballah and Hammas a very strong back. Israel will have to give Iran a much more serious consideration.

So, its bad news either way, for my country at least

As far as Israel goes I think that assuming the Iranians do get a nuclear weapon(and according to a report in Israeli new papers today, its only a matter of them deciding to do so), I would say there are 2 options:

1) If Irans leadres will stand by their statments that Israel must be erased from the face of the earth, they will launch a nuclear attack on Israel. Israel will end its existance as a country but the immidiate respons will probably bring the end of the current Iranian regiem. Israel will react with a very powerfull nuclear attack that will kill millions of Iranis, and the world will do the rest to get rid of the current irani rulers.

2) The Iranians will use their nuclear weapons to give Israels enemies like Syria, Hezballah and Hammas a very strong back. Israel will have to give Iran a much more serious consideration.

So, its bad news either way, for my country at least

You forgot #3 which is the most likely...

#3. Iran will get the bomb, make some empty threats and do nothing. And the reason Iran will do nothing is that if Iran uses a Bomb against Israel without justification either directly or by proxy (a terror group) they would be immediately blown to smithereens by Israels not-so-secret nuclear arsenal, the USA, Europe, and maybe even Russia or the Arabs.

Both the Isrealis, the US and even countries like France have promised Iran's immediate destruction if it used Nukes. Russia has always been rather paranoid when it comes to their security, and the idea of a nuclear-armed Islamic country near their borders (especially so close to Georgia) would make them very nervous. They have invaded countries on less pretext than that.

Ahmadinejab is not stupid or suicidal. He knows quite well that nuking Israel would bring about his own destruction. He gains nothing by it. Despite all his fiery rhethoric Ahmedinejad is a politician, no politician would put their country on a course that would result in their countries annilhation.

I wouldnt worry about Syria. Since Bush is gone, Syria has been trying to rebuild the relationship it had with Clinton and espicially Bush Sr. From Syria's standpoint, since its oil production in in decline it needs the US help more than it needs Iran's. Israel and Syria are having peace talks as we speak this week.

Sadly I think it's only a matter of time before some 2nd or 3rd party group get some form of a weapon and Iran's government will just announce "The Iranian government had nothing to do with this attack" it won't matter much for the dead people. Doing something after the fact doesn't bring back the dead, it's too late at that point.

I'm a little realistic as well.

We should treat Syria the same way we should view Iran, there's no difference.

You forgot #3 which is the most likely...

#3. Iran will get the bomb, make some empty threats and do nothing. And the reason Iran will do nothing is that if Iran uses a Bomb against Israel without justification either directly or by proxy (a terror group) they would be immediately blown to smithereens by Israels not-so-secret nuclear arsenal, the USA, Europe, and maybe even Russia or the Arabs.

Both the Isrealis, the US and even countries like France have promised Iran's immediate destruction if it used Nukes. Russia has always been rather paranoid when it comes to their security, and the idea of a nuclear-armed Islamic country near their borders (especially so close to Georgia) would make them very nervous. They have invaded countries on less pretext than that.

Ahmadinejab is not stupid or suicidal. He knows quite well that nuking Israel would bring about his own destruction. He gains nothing by it. Despite all his fiery rhethoric Ahmedinejad is a politician, no politician would put their country on a course that would result in their countries annilhation.

I wouldnt worry about Syria. Since Bush is gone, Syria has been trying to rebuild the relationship it had with Clinton and espicially Bush Sr. From Syria's standpoint, since its oil production in in decline it needs the US help more than it needs Iran's. Israel and Syria are having peace talks as we speak this week.

I would agree although I am not sure there will be a lot of saber rattling either, I am pretty much convinced that countries like Iran and North Korea are out to get nuclear weapons as a means to secure their regimes and protect themselves from external interference.

We've all failed to mention the Chinese, they too are paranoid about a Muslim nation gaining the nuclear weapon, they too have problems with their ethnic muslims and are suffering increasing unrest in some of those ethnic areas. There was the killing of 20 odd police, about 3 months before the Olympics, then nothing, so I guess that they saturated those areas pretty well.

I agree with MontyB, I think that Iran and N Korea are trying to make sure that they are left clear of "foreign" interference. That said, the threat of nuclear weapons has become a legimate tool of foreign policy, so I would expect them to start making some demands, in which case we're all off to hell in a handbasket.

I agree with Partisan. I think they all have good reason, as history shows us that the advanced nations push their ideologies and religions on the less advanced as an exchange for either technology or food or.... (insert reason). Just 'cause we're smarter in some things in life does not mean we're more advanced.
Some people simply do not realize how lucky the indigenous tribes have it. They eat, drink, hunt, fish, make love, make babies, they're all happy and content, life goes on.

Us, the list is pages long, yet we are rarely happy. We constantly have wars, we have drugs, we have trouble brewing from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Maybe they live a rougher life, but it's so simple, truly easy compared to us.

I buy that. I believe we have become slaves to the system; here, our government weighs very heavily upon us; spend £450,000 p.a. on threatening and bearing -down television advertising etc., etc.

I think 2 is extremely realistic, but thats me.

During the period of the Soviet Union. We Americans were lead to believe that the USSR was some amoral bunch of lunatics bent a world conquest and who hated American Freedom and Democracy that they would use their larger nuclear arsenal to annihilate us. The Russians never did attack because behind all the saber rattling and bluster all the Soviets leadership knew that an attack on the US would result in destruction of the USSR as well.

Iran has nowhere near the capability of the USSR.

The nuclear bomb is whats known as a "rusty bayonet" a weapon that cannot be used.

When you say 'led to believe, remember that Kruschev said that they would 'dance on your graves'.

Value of big deterrent ; not blinking in the face of aggression eventually put an end to allowing Russia to win WW111 without firing a shot. Sounds familiar don't it.

When you say 'led to believe, remember that Kruschev said that they would 'dance on your graves'.

Value of big deterrent ; not blinking in the face of aggression eventually put an end to allowing Russia to win WW111 without firing a shot. Sounds familiar don't it.

Kruschev actual quote was "We will bury you". But like I said: bluster and saber-rattling. Kruschev was a bully and a loudmouth but he wasn't stupid or a nut like Stalin was.

I heard another incident with Kruschev this time with Castro from a former Soviet official on TV. During the Bay of Pigs, Castro urged Krushchev to nuke the US in retaliation for the embargo. Kruschev told Castro than although it was possible the USSR *might* surivive a nuclear war with the USA, the total destruction of Cuba would be guerenteed. There would be absolutely nothing the USSR could do about it. After which Castro decided that Nuking the USA was not in his best interest after all.

Back