Iran next?

BennettNC_156

How long till we go to war in Iran? I speculate it will be within the next two years, and it also depends on the N.Korean problem. Anyone else got any ideas on the topic. Also can we defeat Iran quickly and soundly?

I don't believe we'll go to war with Iran because at this point, although we still have unused military assets, we don't have enough to occupy Iran after a war. Secondly Iran doesn't have the same history of Iraq as invading its neighbors and butchering its own inhabitants. That they are one of the more democratic nations in the middle east, although perhaps that says more about the other nations then it does about Iran. Not to mention that the American people wouldn't let any president drag them into a war with Iran right now.

Yes we could defeat Iran's conventional military quickly and soundly. The United States Air Force and Navy would be able to quickly overwhelm and destroy the Iranian air force and with air supremacy the destruction of any armored vehicles or troop concentrations is insured.

i agree completely. we can easily destroy their fighting ability, but why? they havent bothered us too bad as far as i know. altho, if a war was to happen with Iran, it would be before Bush leaves office, because, IMO the next President will not go to war at all and will have all of our troops sit here at home. so if a war did happen, it would be before '08

How long till we go to war in Iran?

Define "we". This is an INTERNATIONAL forum.

Assuming that you mean the USA, I would hope soon, because at least their nuclear abilities must be eliminated before it's too late. But as to what I think, It probably won't happen and we will have to deal with it somehow(God knows how, Israel cant conqure Iran and they have the Nuclear plan spread over their entire country)... :?

PershingOfLSU said:
That they are one of the more democratic nations in the middle east, although perhaps that says more about the other nations then it does about Iran.

Iran is democratic? The Shah's system was more democratic than the current "government" is. Just because they have some elections where all the candidates are of the same party doesnt make them democratic. My parents fled Iran right after the Shah left. The Iranian people are kicking themselves now because the government that they fought so adamantly for, is now making their lives miserable. Its more of a dictatorship by committee.

Just because the US military can, for the lack of better words, own the Iran military, doesnt mean that we should. There is no profit from a full scale invasion. What would we accomplish?

I think the Israelis have bettter intelligence than they let on, and if Iran is really serious about getting a nuclear weapon, and nuclear weapons being controlled by an extremist anti-semetic regeime. I just dont think they would let that happen.

Yes, but unfortunatly the Irani nuclear program is spread around dozens of small factories all over Iran. Iran is a very big county. It is also far from Israel and inorder to get there we must pass over foreighn and spmetimes hostile airspace...

I agree with PershingOfLSU I dont think its going to happen at all, unless of course Iran does something incredibly silly.

bulldogg said:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/7896BBD4-28AB-48BA-A949-2096A02F864D.htm

You might not like the source but the opinion written comes from a man whose word draws more than a modicum of respect from the men he served with. And as much as I hope he's wrong he raises some serious issues.

The problem with the sections relation to Iran in there is that they are pure speculation, while I have no doubt there is a fair amount of intelligence gathering going on I dont think you can extrapolate that into parallel with the Iraq situation.

I really don't see anyone going into Iran at the moment. The US have the numbers to go in, but first they need to pacify Iraq and Afganistan. Not an easy or quick task. China and Russia also have the numbers, but no motive.

The use by the CIA, right now as we speak, of Saddam's Mujahudeen in IRAN is not an extrapolation.

did i miss something? who are Saddam's mujahudeen? last i knew the mujahudeen was the group that kicked the soviets out of afghanistan and thats where a lot of Taliban fighters came from. are you referring to the insurgents iin Iraq? i dont think they are mujahudeen bacuase i thought that they were a specific group in afghanistan, but i may be wrong, so could you please clarify this?

It can be used as a catch all for "Holy Warriors" . Not that I believe the Insurgents are anything but Terroristic Cowards hiding behind a Religion.

bulldogg said:
The use by the CIA, right now as we speak, of Saddam's Mujahudeen in IRAN is not an extrapolation.

No but it is speculation it might be a fact if it is proven but in that editorial its is simply a statement made by Scott Ritter who is a more than adequate weapons inspector but I have my doubts as to his qualifications as a CIA agent.

I agree with you on that one Monty which is why I posted elsewhere that I would like to know his sources for some of the claims he makes in his editorials.

Back