Iran eyes long-range air strike capability

phoenix80

Banned
Robin Hughes JDW Deputy Editor

additional reporting by Michael J Gething Jane's International Defence Review Upgrades Editor

Iran is pursuing a longer-range strike capability for its air assets to support the delivery of more powerful strategic weapon systems, western defence sources have told Jane's.

To this end, the sources noted, Tehran is "investing considerable resources in generating enhanced operational aerial refuelling capabilities to support strike assets capable of delivering such systems, most notably the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force's (IRIAF's) Sukhoi Su-24MK strike aircraft.

According to the sources, "aerial refuelling exercises, often originating out of Tactical Air Base 7 in Shiraz, southwest Iran, are carried out over Iran at night and at very low altitude (1,000 ft) using, in general, the 747 tanker aircraft". These simulate operational scenarios that would entail night-time refuelling of an Iranian attack aircraft, at low altitude over the Mediterranean, outward bound en route to the target, said the sources.

IRIAF pilots have, the sources added, learned to make use of advanced radar tactics, terrain masking, manoeuvre and electronic counter-countermeasures in order to surprise opponents, minimise their warning time and limit enemy intercept opportunities.

http://www.janes.com/defence/news/jdw/jdw070201_1_n.shtml

Looks like somebody in the middle east is going to try and challenge U.S. /Isreali air superioty. Little later than I personly expected. Also , seems to me, like Iran is beefing up for something, like they are ready for something big to go down...

Looks like somebody in the middle east is going to try and challenge U.S. /Isreali air superioty. Little later than I personly expected. Also , seems to me, like Iran is beefing up for something, like they are ready for something big to go down...

The thing is that I m hearing Iranian Air Force is doing some exercises in the Syrian airspace too. Possibly they are getting ready to hit back Israel in case of an attack on their nuke facilities :m16shoot:

Back