Iran develops air defense system comparable to Russia’s S-300

benaakatz

Moscow: Iran has developed its own air defense system comparable to and even more sophisticated than the Russian S-300 system, the IRNA news agency said Monday, citing an Iranian military official.
Russia signed a contract with Iran on the supply of at least five S-300 air defense systems to Tehran in December 2005. However, there have been no official reports on the start of the contract's implementation.
"In the near future, a new domestically-made air defense system will be unveiled by the country's experts and scientists which is as powerful as the S-300 system, or even stronger," IRNA quoted Heshmatollah Kassiri.
He said the delay in the implementation of the S-300 delivery contract was unacceptable, and Iran would do everything possible to protect its "sensitive nuclear centers."
Iranian Ambassador to Russia Seyyed Mahmoud-Reza Sajjadi earlier said the S-300 contract had been stagnated by some technical issues.
However, many experts believe Moscow has refused so far to honor the S-300 contract due to pressure from Washington and Tel Aviv.
Both the United States and Israel have not ruled out military action if diplomacy fails to resolve the dispute over Iran's nuclear program and have expressed concern over S-300 deliveries, which would significantly strengthen Iran's air defenses.
Russian defense industry officials have repeatedly said that Russia is interested in fulfilling the contract, which is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, but the future of the contract would largely depend on the current situation in international affairs and the Kremlin's position.
The advanced version of the S-300 missile system, called S-300PMU1 (SA-20 Gargoyle), has a range of over 150 kilometers (over 100 miles) and can intercept ballistic missiles and aircraft at low and high altitudes, making the system an effective tool for warding off possible air strikes.

Do you believe it? :wink:

Depends what you class as the near future, a few years after & if they get them to copy?

I dont know. Iran is a very special country. For a oil rich muslim country, they have natural ressources (gaz & oil) and a human factor (unlike Saudi Arabia that just have oil and no working class). I think that they can make such things...

If the Russians can make it, they can make it too. Just a question of how much time they got. More advanced countries can reach the necessary level of technology faster. And money helps a lot.

I think it's possible.

But I also think that even with an advanced anti-air system, their precious installations are still vulnerable. There is always a trick to solve these problems... I dont know, stealth bombers, armored missiles, stealth missiles or even stealth and armored missiles...

So I think that it's just an advanced scare crow... Iran needs more than air missiles to protect their installations.

But in case of a war... Denying the air superiority to the enemy is a very interesting thing... And if they could take out communication satellites with jamming or advanced missiles. I think they can make an occupation war way too expensive to their enemies.

its a big lie,iran is perfect at resonent sloagans nothing more.they dont have creativity in their production,yet all of their equipments are reversed engenear or an imitation of others inventions.my point here is iran doesnt just imitate but she imitates old and junk equipments for instance s-5 and f-5.nevertheles that s-300 was made before 30 years,iran couldnt produce it.

You are very negative Bolava, give them some credit. At least they can make some hardware...
It's always better than nothing.

what hardware?
plz tell me.all of their products they are manufacturing are from second or third generation.and you are talking about making hardwares,most countries nowadays can easily produce hardwares better than iran. i am being negative because iran crossed the line with its arrogance and insolence.

I dont know the details.
But they made missiles and such weapons. Some were pretty advanced.

I know, they are not at the level of some super powers in the world. But compared to Muslim countries/third world countries/oil rich countries...

They are super advanced. They have the ability to make their own weapons. Now, if you think that these weapons are obsolete... maybe...

but I give them the credit for trying.

Thanks Bolava, that was very interesting. Never took the time to get some informations about Jordan. I underestimated their skills and capabilities to be honest...

The king looks pretty dynamic. Takes a lot of work to make stuff like that. I saw their projects to make MBTs' turrets.

But I dont see Missiles in their projects... In fact, I dont see much anti-air technology there. Armored vehicules, UAVs, body armor & helmet, a hand gun etc... But no long range missiles, nothing of this kind...

And I will try to find informations about the other countries.

I think that Iran is at least trying to make their own weapons. And it's the thing to do when you are under an embargo.

thank you,

MR Lemask,my point was that many countries try to make its own weapon.another thing,you wondered about other branches in the military,well,
at first Jordan military has variants of air defense types includes SA-18,SA-16,SA13,SA-9,SA8,HAWK,STINGER,shilka 4-23,volcano and 3 batteries of Patriot pack 3.i think that is the most sophisticated and advanced anti air weapons which are very difficult to imitate them by a short period of time.

no brag,but Jordan manufactures the most powerful anti tank missile in the world which is RPG-32 Hashim .however Jordan dont need missiles because the only possible enemy is Israel which is very close,then artilleries can do the job better and more effective than missiles .

I respectfully doubt that it's the most powerful anti-tank in the world. But I see what you mean.

And I know what you mean by using artilliery instead of missiles. But here, we are talking about anti air weapons. The missile have to be fast and accurate, fully capable of hitting air targets. it have to survive electronic counter measures. The launch system must be capable of acquiring a target... and with today's stealth technologies, it's very complex and expensive...

I wont compare the technical level required to make missiles with the level it takes to make anti tank rockets... And more if it's unguided anti-tank rockets.

If Iran can make sophisticated anti-air defences... Then, it will be very impressive.

And the strategic context for Jordan concerns only Jordan. Iran needs anti air weapons if they want to survive a war.

They need anti air weapons to deny their enemy air superiority.

If tomorrow there is a war in Iran, I dont see... I dont know, the USA sending troops to invade. It will be a star war like war. Advanced aircrafts dropping advanced missiles... The troops in the ground will be useless...

They wont send tanks and infantry. They will send aircraft carriers and they will use their military bases in the Area... and probably Israel's support and infrastructure.

There will be no invasion, so no need for artillery or tanks/anti tanks etc...

Iran needs anti air weapons... and badly.

A big concern these days may not be how Iran has managed to get these relatively sophisticated ADA systems but I think it begs this question. What will be the final straw to cause a country like Israel to draw the line and feel threatened enough to take unilateral action against Iran?
It seems Iran has become more and more of a military dictatorship, intolerant of all opposition. With its efforts toward nuclear weapons and other armament, I can see a scenario where Israel will attempt preemptive action and with the US current administration's attitude toward Israel, I don't think Israel will be letting the US know about it in advance.
Israel has repeatedly said that it will not tolerate a nuclear Iran and Iran is bent on the total destruction of Israel.
Of course any strike against Iran would likely precipitate massive retaliatory action. Maybe it's a cold war like scenario of MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) and the standoff will continue? Then again one has to ask the question whether Iranian nuclear weapons would destabilize the area more than an Israeli attack?
Either way it's all quite worrisome.

Back