Iran detains scores at "satanic" rock gig

Well, major liability does not have a Religion, do you view him to be lacking in something?... morally? What about senojekips? He seems like a good person, well grounded morally.... yet he seems to be without a structured view of organized religion.

In Public Schools, since the Government cannot start a Religion, and all Religions are the same in the eyes of the Government, the Satan Worshippers would have a day (equal time) to talk to little Public School Kids about the benefits of their Religion, do you think Satan Worshippers are of the same high moral fabric that you find in your own Religion?

The Satan Worshippers would no doubt tell little kids in School they can become Wizards (Warlocks) and Witches, just like Harry Potter and crew, when it was their turn to put forth their Religious Views.

Unless you only want your Religious Values to be in the Public Schools?... Which doesn't really seem fair in my opinion.

I have a solution though, if Parents want to have the School instruct their kids in the ways of Religion then the Parents can just send their kids to Catholic School, or some other like minded private institution.... once there the kids will be taught that their god did many things, and given the Moral Compass that their Religion wants its adherents to follow.

I never said people without a religion are morally bereft. I said schools could use some of the moral teachings of some religious views. And I only stated "moral teachings from religious views" because I do believe that is where many moral teaches are based from. If you don't want to call it religious moral views then don't. For me, many of my morals come from my religious views, if others have the same upstanding morals then what is the issue with a term? Would you prefer it if I said an atheists moral views?

Here's a few for thought, so you don't think I am being overly extreme; respect for elders, sexual confidence (no, not necessarily abstinence), being taught to be well behaved (and if you aren't then there are consequences...).

Sure, they try some of this now, but I don't see it working. This kind of thing SHOULD be taught by the parents, I certainly wouldn't argue that - but the parents are severely lacking in teaching their kids this, so schools have to mass market parenting.

I must stress once again, because obviously you are not aware from my previous posts, that I do not want religion in schools. Do I need to state that again or did you catch it this time? I also (though it has no bearing on this topic) would not send my child to a Catholic school nor probably even a Christian one. It's my right to teach my own kids about God and I don't want some stuffy holier-than-thou teacher telling them they have to believe this or that. (Regardless of what anyone thinks all Christians have different views on different matters and I certainly don't agree with all of them).

I think the only rule that needs to be stressed in schools is the Golden Rule. Treat others as you would have them treat you. Don't try to tell me that one is religious too!

Go ahead and call me morally bereft, but in my book you haven't commited a crime unless you 1) murdered 2) raped 3) stole. Everything else is your business.

I think the bigger problem here is the parents as pixie mentioned...

I think the parents should teach their kids whatever religion they want, until the kids reach an age to decide to stick with that religion, convert, or become an atheist, or agnostic.

But you know parents today are very incompentent (most of them). I mean I know some people don't believe in physical force when it comes to disciplining their kids, but I think it is sometimes necessary.

and I agree with you major, the golden rule should be taught, I've only been in a few classes where the teacher even mentioned the rule

I must stress once again, because obviously you are not aware from my previous posts, that I do not want religion in schools. Do I need to state that again or did you catch it this time? I also (though it has no bearing on this topic) would not send my child to a Catholic school nor probably even a Christian one. It's my right to teach my own kids about God and I don't want some stuffy holier-than-thou teacher telling them they have to believe this or that. (Regardless of what anyone thinks all Christians have different views on different matters and I certainly don't agree with all of them).

And yet you keep saying you want Religious Views taught in Schools......

"I said schools could use some of the moral teachings of some religious views"

Which, in my opinion, will open the door to have some "stuffy holier-than-thou teacher telling them they have to believe this or that".

You have the right idea.... as it is your right to teach your own kids about Religion..... it is also your right, and your job as Parent to instill Moral Values in your own kids.

America is not a Theocracy (unlike Muslim nations) and America has put a very high wall up to separate the Government from Religion.

The Old Testament states that a Child who disobeys the Parent(s) or even merely curses ones Parent(s) is to be killed; proselytizing incurred the death penalty (the Jehovah Witnesses would be in trouble with that one, and the Mormons) Likewise, adultery, homosexuality, and sex before marriage would get one killed in the old days.... then there's blasphemy, working on the Sabbath, and perjury (look out Scooter) and a whole list of others.

I think the only rule that needs to be stressed in schools is the Golden Rule. Treat others as you would have them treat you. Don't try to tell me that one is religious too!

Go ahead and call me morally bereft, but in my book you haven't commited a crime unless you 1) murdered 2) raped 3) stole. Everything else is your business.

I SAID I DO NOT BELIEVE THOSE WITHOUT RELIGION ARE MORALLY BEREFT.

Geez! And as for the Golden Rule not being based on religion? In my eyes that is the very SUM of what a true Christian strives to do.

Last edited:
Back