The Iran Crisis

August 12th, 2005  
TBA_PAKI

The Iran Crisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Missileer

I wouldnt bet on that.

This country has a tendency to underestimate the ME. We saw this in the Iranian revolution of 1979, the Beruit bombing, WTC bombing, the USS Cole, 9/11 and elsewhere. In each episode it was because we left our guard down.

I doubt Iran would use the bomb themselves, as that would be suicide. But what they could do is give the bomb or bomb materials to somebody else and claim Plausible denialibility. Exactly what Pakistan did when the Press discovered they gave bomb parts to North Korea.

Thats my real worry. Iran is already a large sponsor of terrorism. I could list a list of Nutball groups that would gladly use a Nuclear Device on us or someone else, but you can be sure we are on the top of the list.
Iran already gives sancutuary to al Qaeda members.
What kind of non-sense is this. Pakistan never gave its Nuclear Weapons materials to any nation. After our program was revealed, USA slammed heavy sanctions on us and thats it.

The only deal we had with North Korea was related to Ballistic Missile Technology.
August 12th, 2005  
TBA_PAKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
Quote:
Missileer

I doubt Iran would use the bomb themselves, as that would be suicide. But what they could do is give the bomb or bomb materials to somebody else and claim Plausible denialibility. Exactly what Pakistan did when the Press discovered they gave bomb parts to North Korea.

Thats my real worry. Iran is already a large sponsor of terrorism. I could list a list of Nutball groups that would gladly use a Nuclear Device on us or someone else, but you can be sure we are on the top of the list.
Iran already gives sancutuary to al Qaeda members.
Actually, Iran has supported Iraq as far back as the first Gulf War when they let the Iraqi air force land their planes there. I think that intelligence has also linked the more powerful explosives for IEDs in Iraq to Iran. Anywhere in the Middle East is "hands off" to any Western country but that's nothing new. I think that Iran would hesitate to supply any other group with Nuclear material unless it was carved in stone that they could not be connected in any way.

I think the Cole was a splinter group, probably a small cell of radicals who were given the explosives by a larger group who can afford to buy such a destructive material. Iran or Saudi come to mind.
That splinter group was sponsored by Al-Qaeda Network!

And IRAN never supported the regime of Saddam Hussain after that great war of 8 years.
August 12th, 2005  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBA_PAKI
[The only deal we had with North Korea was related to Ballistic Missile Technology.
Thanks a lot guys! You just handed an M16 to a lunatic in the playground.
--
The Iran Crisis
August 12th, 2005  
TBA_PAKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBA_PAKI
[The only deal we had with North Korea was related to Ballistic Missile Technology.
Thanks a lot guys! You just handed an M16 to a lunatic in the playground.
and what about China?
August 12th, 2005  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBA_PAK
What kind of non-sense is this. Pakistan never gave its Nuclear Weapons materials to any nation. After our program was revealed, USA slammed heavy sanctions on us and thats it.

The only deal we had with North Korea was related to Ballistic Missile Technology.
TBA_PAK

I am referring to the scandel in Febuary 2004 which the Pakistani Nuclear scientist Dr Abheer Khan CONFESSED to trading Nuclear Secrets
in exchange for North Korean Ballistic Missile technology, namely the Dong-3 medium range ICBM.

President Musharaff pardoned Khan the day after his confession.

Do a Google search you will find articles referring to it...
August 12th, 2005  
TBA_PAKI

Quote:
TBA_PAK

I am referring to the scandel in Febuary 2004 which the Pakistani Nuclear scientist Dr Abheer Khan CONFESSED to trading Nuclear Secrets
in exchange for North Korean Ballistic Missile technology, namely the Dong-3 medium range ICBM.

President Musharaff pardoned Khan the day after his confession.

Do a Google search you will find articles referring to it...
A few corrections!

Its Dr Qadeer Khan!

And the Missile is No-dong which is believed by the CIA to be a cousin of Ghauri Missile.

And the trading of Nuclear secrets is a controversial issue. Such things are kept in high-profile and away from media.

Koreans deny this charge by CIA!
August 12th, 2005  
mmarsh

TBM_PAkI

I stand corrected on your first two points.

As the trading of Nuclear secrets is TOP SECRET nobody really knows what exactly Dr.Khan gave away. But he clearly did SOMETHING wrong otherwise he wouldnt have confessed, and Musharaff woundn't have pardoned him. You must also admit that the N.Koreas denying the charge is not exactly a surprise. What else would they have done, its not like they would confess...

Secondly the fact that only a Few months Later North Korea declares itself a nuclear power after years of trying to get the technology and the fact the Pakistan now has medium (and soon long range) ICBMs is too much of a coincidence.
August 13th, 2005  
LeEnfield

Now if the Israeli's could just slip a couple of planes across and drop a few bombs on the some of these facilities then the problem might be solved.
August 14th, 2005  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
Now if the Israeli's could just slip a couple of planes across and drop a few bombs on the some of these facilities then the problem might be solved.
Iran has already warned Isreal that doing such a thing would incite a military response and I dont think the rest of the Arab nations like Syria would like it much.

On the other hand, Im sure the Arabs are not wild about the thought of a nuclear armed Iran (ancient enemies the Persians and the Arabs) either.

Perhaps they would just 'condemn it' for show and do nothing else.