Iran buy S-300

sandy

Belarus: Lukashenka courts Tehran

Jane’s Intelligence Digest probes the covert links between Minsk and Tehran.

A recent JID probe has indicated that Belarus may be preparing to export sensitive Russian military technology to Iran. Since early 2005, Minsk has been negotiating with Moscow for the purchase of the latest and most advanced version of the S-300SP surface-to-air missile system. According to well-informed sources, a contract for an unspecified number of S-300SP missiles was signed between Minsk and the Kremlin during the summer of 2005, with delivery scheduled to take place either later that year or else in early 2006.

Our investigations suggest that the real reason for Belarus' deal with the Kremlin may lie several thousand kilometres to the southwest. In January a high-level military and political delegation from Tehran paid a low-key visit to Minsk.

According to well-informed JID sources, the main reason for the visit was to make arrangements for the future transfer of the S-300SP SAMs from Belarus in order to help the embattled Iranian regime bolster its defences against possible US or Israeli air strikes designed to de-rail its efforts to develop nuclear weapons.

While the Kremlin remains a major supplier of nuclear technology for Iran's nuclear programme, President Vladimir Putin would face serious problems if he had to explain to the rest of the world how the Islamic Republic had acquired the most recent generation of S-300PSs. For this reason, Belarus and its increasingly isolated regime could provide an alternative supply route and one that would offer Moscow the cover of 'plausible deniability' once the missile transfer has been effected.
From JANE,sl
Russian missile is horrible!

Last edited:
It may not be a world beater but it is much more capable than their existing systems. And in numbers sufficient to over saturate the areas surrounding high value targets, it would complicate an operational planners job.
Remember, the Serbs reportedly took down an F117 with similar technology.

zhjsg said:
sandy, can you answer me the question again, were you in china when you were 15 years old
No,a year ago I had been china for 15 months.
Thosedays,I admired dilight chinese businessman and was irritated by rotten officials.

sandy said:
No,a year ago I had been china for 15 months.
Thosedays,I admired dilight chinese businessman and was irritated by rotten officials.
THe government of our country may have no future but facing the bad situation itself had created.

The S-300 Iran is getting is the oldest model to date.It is considered obscolete by todays standard.

No, I don't think that's out-of-date.
Because Russians T-72 was useless in
gulf war, and business became difficult.
They would wish that to strike american stealth fighter down.

Because Russians T-72 was useless in
gulf war, and business became difficult.
They would wish that to strike american stealth fighter down.
Im sorry i dont grasp what your trying to say.

Anyway the story ive always heard was that the F-117 was hit by a 30mm shell in the wing and completely destroyed its stealthiness.

Hmm what people want the missile to do and what it can actualy do in real-time combat is completely different. The manufacturer may state that it can shoot down stealth fighters but do you think they had a bunch of F-117s or F-35s standing by to be tested on? I'm still on the fence on whether or not there are any effective countermeasure to stealth fighters/bombers except for good intel.

Back