the Iowa finds a home

namvet

ussiowa1000.jpg

bb6123.jpg

(AP) LOS ANGELES — The USS Iowa — the last surviving World War II battleship without a home — will head to the Port of Los Angeles to stand as a permanent museum and memorial to battleships, the Navy said Tuesday.

The nonprofit Pacific Battleship Center, which has been working to bring the ship to Los Angeles, beat out the San Francisco Bay area city of Vallejo. The Navy's decision also comes six years after the San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted against making a public display of the ship in that city, citing local opposition to the Iraq war and the military's stance on gays, among other things.

source

made my day. years ago the state of Iowa passed the boot to have her moved. I made a contribution. If memory serves, SF also wanted to turn the Iowa into a floating museum for gays.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8T6F8ykU3g"]USS Iowa in California's Mothball Fleet - YouTube[/ame]

So the "Big Stick" is finally bound for a homeport then.

Good to see she's being kept floating at least.

Thank the heavens she was saved, the things that ship has seen alone can spark imagination, many of the photos of her past maybe in black and white but that ship has seen history in color.

Thank the heavens she was saved, the things that ship has seen alone can spark imagination, many of the photos of her past maybe in black and white but that ship has seen history in color.

Indeed, and I've even managed to see her in full colors.
Back when she was on active duty, she was visiting Oslo and I took the oportunity of a guided tour around her deck and those awesome big guns.
Oh, those guns... :pirate:

Back