Introducing myself

--

June 25th, 2004  
Lilmissflamethrower

Topic: Introducing myself

Hi. My name is Stacey. I am not in the military nor have I ever been. I am a female and I love military history. I have a huge collection of military books and movies. Probably more then any of you (do not doubt me, the ones that have are sorry they did!)... This seems to freak out a lot of people because I appear very feminine and the last person on earth you would take for a military history buff....

I especially am interested in WWII. I work on the U.S.S. Hornet aircraft carrier in Alameda, CA (as a volunteer) . I am also on the staff of the Golden Gate Young Marines as a volunteer parent (the Young Marines are kids, age 8 to 18, about the same as the Devil Pups if you know that group). I am helping with the Toys for Tots program with the kids and the real Marines for this coming Xmas.

The craziest thing about me - you will love this - I am a child of hippies. I grew up in Berkeley, CA. By the time I could walk I was at every hippie event known to man.

I think the only way I could think of to rebel was to become conservative. I was a deputy sheriff for six years as a reserve. My family thinks I am nuts. But I think they are nuttier...

Thats about it. I am so happy to be here. I hope you don't mind my naive questions. As much as I love military history I don't know that much about the structure of the military. I hope I can learn more here so please excuse my probably stupid questions.

I hope it is o.k. that I am here, not being in the military. If there are other females here, I would be happy to chat with you.

Thanks for letting me be here...

Oh, I am also in a WWII recreation group as a WAC (I guess that really makes me a bonafide geek).
June 25th, 2004  
Darkmb101

welcome to the forum, stacey
June 25th, 2004  
Redleg

Topic: Re: Introducing myself

Welcome Firethrower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmissfirethrower
I hope it is o.k. that I am here, not being in the military. If there are other females here, I would be happy to chat with you.
No problems at all.

We have several non-military members, both male and female..
--
June 25th, 2004  
11bravo8387

Hey Stacey welcome to the forum. If you really into history you should check this out http://www.military-quotes.com/forum...pic.php?t=2561 It's an awesome place for a hard core history buff. Agin welcome to the forum and have fun and enjoy.
June 25th, 2004  
Italian Guy

Hey Stacey Welcome to the forum. I'm one of the non-enlisted here, so you can feel confortable when I'm around... YOU AIN'T DIFFERENT !

Uhm, RN will LOVE your hippie family, BTW.
He's very liberal and enjoys the company of left wing homies.
I hope we'll get to know each others better. Later.
June 25th, 2004  
Lilmissflamethrower

Lol... today my "hippie" family is going to see Farenheit whatever its called. They asked me to buy them advance tickets. I thought they were trying to see a science fiction movie at first... I was wondering why they were so interested in trying to see a science fiction movie...

Then my mom ran into my room (yes, we live together, even more enjoyable) showing me the Clinton book she just bought... I tried not to vomit on it...

I do love my family though, don't get me wrong. They are the best... just little off course...

I will check out the link, thanks.

Thanks for having me! Stacey
June 25th, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Topic: Welcome Aboard.....

Welcome and your questions won't be any worse than others that are here including me. As for your parents, the books and movies they watch and read are great, read them, then you know what you oppose!
June 25th, 2004  
Lilmissflamethrower

I believe I know their position. You get it shoved down your throat in the media everyday. Plus I grew up in Berkeley, so know one knows the left like I do... I grew up with it.

We all do have free speech and that is fine. But when I had a yellow ribbon on my truck and I drove through Berkeley, people were giving me the finger. It seems you can have free speech only if it agrees with the liberals...
June 25th, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Topic: Liberals and Yellow Ribbons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmissfirethrower

We all do have free speech and that is fine. But when I had a yellow ribbon on my truck and I drove through Berkeley, people were giving me the finger. It seems you can have free speech only if it agrees with the liberals...
Coming from Detroit, people don't give you the finger, they shoot first, ask questions later.

They are very "liberal" there, but it is a bluecollar town and are very concerned about the troops since many are from cities like Detroit. "Liberals" outside the rust belt usually don't have a clue about the military and what goes on.
June 25th, 2004  
Redneck

Howdy, welcome to the forum. Nice to see you saw the light.
I got a couple questions for you though, when you were growing up did you get dragged to the Burning Man Festival? Or to the Rainbow Family Gathering near Likely? Just curious because unfortunately those dang things are in my area, so if you went to them there's a good chance you drove by my family's ranch.

Hope you like it here.