Internet Explorer version 8

Internet Explorer version 8 is out there. What's the scoop? Has anyone on this forum tried it? What are the pros and cons?

Here is the site for the Microsoft claims for it: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/overview.aspx?tabid=1&catid=1
Haven't upgraded yet. I did find out that you should check with your service provider. I use AT&T and their self diagnostic software for trouble shooting connection problems will not work if you upgrade to version 8 or if you have upgraded Windows XP with service pack 3.

I have heard its much better than IE7. But better than Firefox or Chrome? Verdicts not in yet.

I have heard its much better than IE7. But better than Firefox or Chrome? Verdicts not in yet.

It is from Micro$oft, it will be:
- 3 times the size it needs to be.
- Have more security holes than a sieve.
- Require you to run in the settings that it decided you need.
- Take up the space of a small hard drive.
- Be cluttered with 75000000 processes that are unwanted and worthless

I will stick with Firefox until proven wrong.

IE8

I have it running on one of my computers but to be honest I use Firefox almost 100% of the time.

I never tried Chrome is it any good?

I wish Microsoft could streamline Outlook 2007 what a pig.

Firefox.

box_firefox.jpg
Say no more.....

I have it running on one of my computers but to be honest I use Firefox almost 100% of the time.

I never tried Chrome is it any good?

I wish Microsoft could streamline Outlook 2007 what a pig.

I have used Chrome (Beta-something, I forget). Chrome is a wicked fast browser and its not as bugged (meaning: potential for hacks/exploits) as IE or Firefox. However its strictly a "vanilla" browser, for the moment browse is all it does. If you like the extensions of Firefox you are outta luck (for now, Google says they will add extensions later).

The other problem with Chrome is that some websites are not yet optimized for it, so its possible you might get some pages that dont load correctly. This however never happened to me, though its certainly possible.
So I would say that if all you want to do is browse then Chrome is really good, if you need the "extras" stick to Firefox. Personally I missed the foreign language spell-checker in Chrome (as my written French is very weak) so I went back to Firefox.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info mmarsh maybe I'll set it up on one of my computers, I have a KVM switch in my home office and runs bunch of computers.

In my schools maybe a fast loading browser might a be a good thing on some of the lab computers with little RAM. Do you know if it's a memory hog?

Thanks

Back