International Court of Justice to trial american soldiers ?

Italian Guy

Milforum Hitman
Uhm.. feel free to move this elsewhere cuz I couldnt think of the right place to start it in.

People around me often argue that the US actually acts just like the non democratic countries do on the international scene since it doesnt accept the rule of the International Court of Justice to judge their soldiers.
I patiently (seldom ) take my time to explain them that of course the UD does good.
why should the americans accept that any judge, anywhere, anytime, sues , say, the US President for alleged crimes on humankind or warcrimes or such? the President should leave office until he is recognized innocent ( if he is ), therefore making democracy virtually useless.
In fact, he is the highest rank of the US armed forces.
In my opinion they do good in non accepting such jurisdiction.
We already have bilteral agreements of extradiction with many countries and that must be enough.
I will keep fighting those ignorant ideas back to where they come from.
I know it's a very specific topic but - hey - we got 1,300 users here, anyone interested ?

I've heard the battle cry for George Bush to be brought up on War Crime charges and I have to Laugh. There are leaders around the world who are outright nasty and no one is lifting a finger to even say those people are wrong. Parts of Africa are killing fields, North Korea and China terrorize their own citizens, the war in Chechnia is not exactly a text book military operation and no one in Iraq besides Sadam is on trial.

I do think the US should recognize the world court, but I can see why the government wants a double standard. If people are going to go after the US, they need to go after every violator of human rights. As of now, the call for Bush to be put on trial is purely political.

ok this is ridicilous,Haig is never gonna trial americans cuz they manage it..........its their marionete,they r just gonna put a bunch of serbs to get ridh of them and all,but no albanian terrorists.....thats haig

Doody said:
As of now, the call for Bush to be put on trial is purely political.

Ive not heard people want bush to go on trial, there are far more deserving people who need to go on trial! its just that i dont agree that america wants to use the court to punish people of different nationalities whilst it wont allow its own citizens to stand trial(i doubt any will even if it is open to anyone, just like i doubt many brits, french, germans etc will go on trial)

I am from sweden and I will be honest to you in this question, I will never recognize the Haag court of justice. Why? The same rules for all countrys and all political leaders or they can turn down the court, thats why.

I think that Haag is a very nice break in routine so our western political leaders can sit on there buts and stay in office without being questioned for their involvment those leaders that they take in to that so called court.
If they want to be up front and honest. Our political leaders have to take some responsibility for the fact that people as Slobodan Milosevic came to power. But Haag is not the answer. Well ---

:lol: :cen: I say bloody hypocrites, it is disgusting friends....

The court is a living evidence of European politics. I feel ashamed when I look at the news and see those how have been put there for their so called justice. The Haag is only a political correct justice. Nothing will change that. And justice should not be a political arena.

Do you hear any presidents or primeministers of Europe telling US that Saddam Hussein should be brought up to justice in Haag? Well on the news maby. But they are not screaming it around as they did when US attacked Iraq do they?. Well the answer are pretty obvious.

Those countries that did not go to Iraq to put an end to Saddam Husseins rule of terrror they did and still have a lot to hide from the world community and they are not interested to see a trial where Saddam Hussein can tell the world what our leaders have done to make his rule of terror last for 30 years. If you are smart you can see those connections without to much problem.

If Haag will have any respect from me they should have all so called war crime fellons there. That list would be loooong. And not only Slobodan Milosevic would be on that list, thats for sure. Or no one because this is not looking good. A coin always have two sides thats my point.

Do you want to live in a policestate where the UN is running the show? Is that freedom? No international Haag justice as I seen it will be recognized of me as a person. That court is something that people have not been voiting on. Good or bad. That is only signatures on pieces of papers.

But that is the truth. And I don´t think any human libertys are going to be jeopardized because of a little group big men wanting a world gouverment and a ruling elite that can stay clean as snow. No sir.... Im not up for it. Are you? Well thats your problem then. Doc.S have spokend and these are my 2 cents. :cen:

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

:m1: 8) Basically I don't agree that american soldiers be put on trial for some 'crimes' which I think the media or news made a big fuss about and publicised too much about it. Then people in the world begin to talk bad about the American soldiers.

Are people putting too high standards for the American soldiers while ignoring other atrocities committed elsewhere in the world by soldiers of other countries? -- but we don't know much about these atrocities simply because it's not on TV news?

:rambo:

This talk of US soldiers being judged by other countries is BS, when was the last time a foreign soldier was tryed by a US, or even partially US court? Nurmeberg. And that was after the greatest war we have ever fought and Germany killing as many as 14 million people. And we put our own soldiers on trial for their crimes. To be quite honest I would like to know how they intend to cary out or enforce any rulings the International Community makes? We have proved many times that no one tells the US what to do. When the UN ruled against any military action in Iraq we basically said ok, that is your opinion, but it doesn't matter, we will go in anyways, basically we laughed in their faces and said try to stop us.

I especially liked how France voted against our invasion of Iraq then they complained when we did not allow French companies into Iraq to make money off of the rebuilding of Iraq.

NO! :evil:
Terrorist torture, kill, decapitate people naimly civilians!!!!!!! No one does anything! But when US soldiers torture terrorists for extracting infos, than it's a big world deal!!!! :evil:
I SAY NO!
They can spit under our window! We ain't letting 'em!

Damien435 said:
This talk of US soldiers being judged by other countries is BS, when was the last time a foreign soldier was tryed by a US, or even partially US court?

The hague is sponsered by many countries including the US, so the US does have some part in it!

When the UN ruled against any military action in Iraq we basically said ok, that is your opinion, but it doesn't matter, we will go in anyways, basically we laughed in their faces and said try to stop us.

Now the US and Britain are looking stupid because there reasons for war have been proved false! now people are laughing in our faces!

skywalker said:
Now the US and Britain are looking stupid because there reasons for war have been proved false! now people are laughing in our faces!

Oh God. The burden of the proof was on Iraq, man. Why did he like to make fun of the international community and of the inspectors if it had nothing to hide? The international community simply left him one year's time so that he could take his chemical and biological weapons over to Syria.

skywalker said:

Why can't Americans and British people admit they were fooled? Come on, it was a good joke, WMD's in Iraq, it got you nervous and scared, admit it, I know I was very nervous about a madman like Saddam with WMD's, it got more than enough support from the American people and British people to make the war with the cost in their minds.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. No, the US will never allow Americans Soldiers to be tried by a foreign court, and why waste you time? We try our own soldiers when they do something wrong, like the prisoner abuse scandals, the General in charge of the prison was forced to stand down, she says she is the scapegoat, but my response to that is "It's your prison, you are in charge and you are responsible for what happens in it, you let the CIA people interrogate them, you should have made sure you had some people watching to see what they were doing." Of course you won't hear much about that since their are places that the media are not allowed to enter and that the constitution does not apply. Like schools, at my school the girls are not allowed to where shirts with only on strap on, the have to at the least be tank tops with a 2 inch thick shoulder strap, and they are not allowed to where tube tops anymore, and now they are making where ID cards on lanyards made of wool that scratch the hell out of my neck and give me a rash, but that is perfectly legal.

And who is going to carry out the court's rulings? The UN? Not likely, unless you forgot it would be the security council that would have to order force against the US if we refused, and we have a Veto power in the UN so that plan is shot. So you could put soldiers on trial but good luck carrying out the sentence.

And by Haag do you mean The Hague in the Netherlands? I assume that is what you emant but I just want to make sure. After all, we pig headed americans aren't that smart if we listened to Bush when he lied to us even though we had plenty of reason to go to war long before the story of the WMD's was made up. Like 12 years before that story was made up we had plenty of reasons for war, we just didn't get the job done then so we went back to do it right the second time.

Italian Guy said:
Uhm...some of you guys are experiencing a tremendous misunderstanding: the Hague Court is NOT the ICJ.

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0822353.html

And http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0825340.html
Well, if you read the stories you linked to, you'll see that all the courts mentioned there are in The Hague. So I don't think there's that much of a misunderstanding.

Damien435 said:
And by Haag do you mean The Hague in the Netherlands? I assume that is what you meant but I just want to make sure.
The real name of the city we're talking about is "Den Haag" So calling it "Haag" wasn't as stupid as you might think.

Now on topic: The US of A supports the court but want's it's laws to apply to everyone but the US. The US is even capable of invading the Netherlands if the court tries to try a US soldier. As an inhabitant of the Netherlands I don't really like that idea. :( The US seems to think they're above the law, and that's not a nice or wise attitude to have, I think.

Marksman said:
ok this is ridicilous,Haig is never gonna trial americans cuz they manage it..........its their marionete,they r just gonna put a bunch of serbs to get ridh of them and all,but no albanian terrorists.....thats haig
*cough* BS *cough* It's not "managed by the US" and the court that is trying to try Milosovic right now is not the same one as the one we're talking about, although it is in the same city.

The misunderstanding is there, since the so called Hague court is another cattle of fish than the IJC, although they're in the same place.

Well, from news in last weeks, China is one of the main force who tried the best the take off the "immune protection right" of the US troops in peacekeeping tasks.

After reading some of the postings on this topic I can see clearly now why the US is going to continue to have a very painful experience in Iraq and the Middle East in general for many decades to come.

Anyway, I think the US people have to show a bit of guts and demand that their government recognize the ICJ. Same goes for Australia. I don't think the US attitude is playing out very well in the Middle East. These are the "hearts and minds" you have to win.

Damien435 said:
This talk of US soldiers being judged by other countries is BS, when was the last time a foreign soldier was tryed by a US, or even partially US court? Nurmeberg. And that was after the greatest war we have ever fought and Germany killing as many as 14 million people. And we put our own soldiers on trial for their crimes. To be quite honest I would like to know how they intend to cary out or enforce any rulings the International Community makes? We have proved many times that no one tells the US what to do. When the UN ruled against any military action in Iraq we basically said ok, that is your opinion, but it doesn't matter, we will go in anyways, basically we laughed in their faces and said try to stop us.

I especially liked how France voted against our invasion of Iraq then they complained when we did not allow French companies into Iraq to make money off of the rebuilding of Iraq.

I think what the US is doing with prisoners in Guatomalo Bay, Cuba is pretty dodgy. Two Australians have been held there for over two years and have only recently been charged! They have been called "enemy combatants". I hope this isn't the justice Americans think is OK.

Back