International Court of Justice to trial american soldiers ?

HERO said:
:m1: 8) Basically I don't agree that american soldiers be put on trial for some 'crimes' which I think the media or news made a big fuss about and publicised too much about it. Then people in the world begin to talk bad about the American soldiers.

Are people putting too high standards for the American soldiers while ignoring other atrocities committed elsewhere in the world by soldiers of other countries? -- but we don't know much about these atrocities simply because it's not on TV news?

:rambo:

Well if the US is trying to win the peace such as in Iraq, its standards have to be impeccable. If you think its OK to let some US soldiers run amok, then you can forget about winning over the Iraqi people.

AussieJohn, make all of your comments in one post, not back to back postings. If you decide shortly after there is something you need to add .. use the "edit" function on the top right corner of the posts.

I can not get over how qickly people turn on the USA for doing what we thought was right. I only ask why should we have to prove anything he used these weapons on the kurds we dont have to prove he has them hell he did that for us when he used nerve agents on a group of people that didnt agree with him. If we should stoop so low as to adopt those standards why dont we just start exhausting our non existent supply of chemical munitions. My next compliant is the OIL reason look people Desert storm is over and has been if we did this for oil we would have just invaded the southern half with the oil fields and terminals and let the rest go to waste. So please stop acting like Michael Moore!! Regardless of what reasons were stated for starting the war. After spending 6 months over seas on a strictly humanitarian mission. (clearing Naval mines from Iraqi ports.) I can honestly say this was a needed action. Those people were living the worst of lives in a country that could give and offer so much to its people.

As far as our troops being tried by a world court just sit down and answer this with as much hate towards america as there is now could a soldier possible get a chance at a fair trial?? I can say after working under a UN command in Kosovo that if anyone needs to be brought up on war crimes it would be the UN leaders for the lack of planning and guidance that they offer on operations that they under take I would have to wait days for permission to return fire on snipers because it had to be cleared through the UN chain of command I would swear they tied a note to a pigeons leg to get the msg back to New York. I think if America is going to agree to these trials that we should at all times retain command of our troops and never submit to UN guidance or Missions we as a country need to protect our troops in some scenarios and if that means we stick our noses high in the air and only worry about ourselves so be it. There are to many people who would go to whatever means possible to nail the "dirty American's" with the press these days all it takes is the mention of something wrong and the Communist News Network (CNN) is all over it talking about how this happened without even confirmming it. We have to think about this too the law of averages is against the US I am pretty sure we as a country undertake more missions of this type then a majority of other countries thats the Price tag of being a World power. I might as well stop because no matter what I say there will always be those out there who just want the United States to Fail its a given in life that we all must accept.

Damien435 said:
This talk of US soldiers being judged by other countries is BS, when was the last time a foreign soldier was tryed by a US, or even partially US court? Nurmeberg. And that was after the greatest war we have ever fought and Germany killing as many as 14 million people. And we put our own soldiers on trial for their crimes. To be quite honest I would like to know how they intend to cary out or enforce any rulings the International Community makes? We have proved many times that no one tells the US what to do. When the UN ruled against any military action in Iraq we basically said ok, that is your opinion, but it doesn't matter, we will go in anyways, basically we laughed in their faces and said try to stop us.

I especially liked how France voted against our invasion of Iraq then they complained when we did not allow French companies into Iraq to make money off of the rebuilding of Iraq.

This kind of attitude scares me. A superpower mustn't get to egocentric or GOD help us all.

I think that the only way of ensuring a free world is equal standards and reprcotions for EVERYONE.

I mean often the Serbs are not happy with many of their soldiers being tried while not so many Albanians are put to justice. And the USA supports them being put on trial. How do you think the lets say Afgans feel - the US is keeping their people in Guantanamo (don't know if they are being tried yet) while it is also judging its own soldiers. I know that the Taliban in Guantanamo are terorists but still...

IT ISN'T FARE!

The only side that can reach an impartial verdict is a side not involved in the conflict.

RnderSafe said:
AussieJohn, make all of your comments in one post, not back to back postings. If you decide shortly after there is something you need to add .. use the "edit" function on the top right corner of the posts.

No worries.

American Justice applies only to Americans. These detainees in Guantanamo did not fight for a country, they fought for a terrorist group intent on killing Americans at home and abroad.

American justice can not work everywhere in the world, it has taken over 200 years for the US to become what it is, including our justice system, we can not just go over Iraq and say *BAM* and now you are Americanized, it will take time, time and money, Kerry, who has yet to take a stand on any issue, is not up to this challenge and will pull out of Iraq right away, much like Nixon did, only it will be quicker and leave Iraq much more destabilized than Vietnam was.

I don't believe that America can do whatever it wanted where ever it wanted, and that should be painfully obvious, if that was the case we would be in China, Vietnam, North Korea, Africa, many of the former Soviet Republics, and even parts of Russia. No, believe it or not, but America does have limitations, and we know them, Iraq is nowhere near stretching our capabilities, we barely flexed our military muscles against Iraq. We could have landed on Iraq and Afganhistan with both feet, firmly, destroying every building that had not already been leveled by Soviet or Coalition bombs.

The ICJ should be allowed to judge America, but not individual soldiers, we take care of our own. The people that were responsible for the prisoner abuse scandals in Iraq have been taken care of. I believe that most of the blame should go to the General in charge, since she was after all supposed to be in charge, she is responsible for what happens in her prison, she should have kept an eye on what was going on in her prison, she is to blame and she should be taking most of the punishment. The CIA is also responsible, along with the individual soldiers, but they were doing what they were told to do, extract information from the enemy, yes they went to far, yes their actions were wrong, but it was the Commanding Officer of the prison that should have stepped in and taken care of the problem before it got to the point that it is now.

Damien435 said:
We could have landed on Iraq and Afganhistan with both feet, firmly, destroying every building that had not already been leveled by Soviet or Coalition bombs.

Probably the USA could level every building in the world. :firedevi:

Damien435 said:
American Justice applies only to Americans. These detainees in Guantanamo did not fight for a country, they fought for a terrorist group intent on killing Americans at home and abroad.

American justice can not work everywhere in the world, it has taken over 200 years for the US to become what it is, including our justice system, we can not just go over Iraq and say *BAM* and now you are Americanized, it will take time, time and money, Kerry, who has yet to take a stand on any issue, is not up to this challenge and will pull out of Iraq right away, much like Nixon did, only it will be quicker and leave Iraq much more destabilized than Vietnam was.

I don't believe that America can do whatever it wanted where ever it wanted, and that should be painfully obvious, if that was the case we would be in China, Vietnam, North Korea, Africa, many of the former Soviet Republics, and even parts of Russia. No, believe it or not, but America does have limitations, and we know them, Iraq is nowhere near stretching our capabilities, we barely flexed our military muscles against Iraq. We could have landed on Iraq and Afganhistan with both feet, firmly, destroying every building that had not already been leveled by Soviet or Coalition bombs.

The ICJ should be allowed to judge America, but not individual soldiers, we take care of our own. The people that were responsible for the prisoner abuse scandals in Iraq have been taken care of. I believe that most of the blame should go to the General in charge, since she was after all supposed to be in charge, she is responsible for what happens in her prison, she should have kept an eye on what was going on in her prison, she is to blame and she should be taking most of the punishment. The CIA is also responsible, along with the individual soldiers, but they were doing what they were told to do, extract information from the enemy, yes they went to far, yes their actions were wrong, but it was the Commanding Officer of the prison that should have stepped in and taken care of the problem before it got to the point that it is now.

Guilty or not you cannot keep people indefinitely in a military prison without charge. I don't think Americans would fancy Australia detaining American citizens for up to two years without charge. I think it would put pressure on our alliance don't you think.

I think you are selling Kerry a bit short. Anyway the American people are have already begun to realize that winning the peace in Iraq is alot tougher than winning the battle.

I think your man power capabilities are already being stretched particularly for peacekeeping work. ( A lot different than winning battles). Unit rotations have become an issue in Iraq already.

Damien435 said:
The funny thing is, that hasn't been proven. Ever hear the prase "innocent until proven guilty"? That isn't an American privilege, and even people suspected of being terrorists should get that treatment. Without a trial these people are technically innocent...

I think btw that if I were to commit a crime in the US, I would get the same punishment (if caught) as an American.

law..and justice. sounds like the two should go together, right?

I have found out quite painfully over the years tis isn't really so. The law is the legal part of the system, designed to apprehend, hold, process, determine if action is needed, try, and sentence a person if a crime has been committed. You might get justice as a side effect if if you can prove your innocence or his guilt as appropriate to the situation.

there really isn't such a thing as a one size fits all legal system all over the world. what is law in one country is smoke in another country. Now, with the international court, i can see it bumping heads in two places:

1st, what legal laws does it try to enforce as common to all countries? the geneva accords? United Nations mandate?

2. In america, there is some semblance of right an individual has. I'm not sure what right a person would have in such a court. The only systems i know of is american and naplionic.

Anyone have a link to either of these two areas when it comes to this court?

Back