International Court of Justice to trial american soldiers ? - Page 2

--

July 13th, 2004  
Uncle_Sam

NO!
Terrorist torture, kill, decapitate people naimly civilians!!!!!!! No one does anything! But when US soldiers torture terrorists for extracting infos, than it's a big world deal!!!!
I SAY NO!
They can spit under our window! We ain't letting 'em!
July 13th, 2004  
Shadowalker

[quote="Damien435"]This talk of US soldiers being judged by other countries is BS, when was the last time a foreign soldier was tryed by a US, or even partially US court?

The hague is sponsered by many countries including the US, so the US does have some part in it!

When the UN ruled against any military action in Iraq we basically said ok, that is your opinion, but it doesn't matter, we will go in anyways, basically we laughed in their faces and said try to stop us.

Now the US and Britain are looking stupid because there reasons for war have been proved false! now people are laughing in our faces!
July 14th, 2004  
Italian Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker
Now the US and Britain are looking stupid because there reasons for war have been proved false! now people are laughing in our faces!
Oh God. The burden of the proof was on Iraq, man. Why did he like to make fun of the international community and of the inspectors if it had nothing to hide? The international community simply left him one year's time so that he could take his chemical and biological weapons over to Syria.
--
July 20th, 2004  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker
Why can't Americans and British people admit they were fooled? Come on, it was a good joke, WMD's in Iraq, it got you nervous and scared, admit it, I know I was very nervous about a madman like Saddam with WMD's, it got more than enough support from the American people and British people to make the war with the cost in their minds.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. No, the US will never allow Americans Soldiers to be tried by a foreign court, and why waste you time? We try our own soldiers when they do something wrong, like the prisoner abuse scandals, the General in charge of the prison was forced to stand down, she says she is the scapegoat, but my response to that is "It's your prison, you are in charge and you are responsible for what happens in it, you let the CIA people interrogate them, you should have made sure you had some people watching to see what they were doing." Of course you won't hear much about that since their are places that the media are not allowed to enter and that the constitution does not apply. Like schools, at my school the girls are not allowed to where shirts with only on strap on, the have to at the least be tank tops with a 2 inch thick shoulder strap, and they are not allowed to where tube tops anymore, and now they are making where ID cards on lanyards made of wool that scratch the hell out of my neck and give me a rash, but that is perfectly legal.

And who is going to carry out the court's rulings? The UN? Not likely, unless you forgot it would be the security council that would have to order force against the US if we refused, and we have a Veto power in the UN so that plan is shot. So you could put soldiers on trial but good luck carrying out the sentence.
July 20th, 2004  
Damien435

And by Haag do you mean The Hague in the Netherlands? I assume that is what you emant but I just want to make sure. After all, we pig headed americans aren't that smart if we listened to Bush when he lied to us even though we had plenty of reason to go to war long before the story of the WMD's was made up. Like 12 years before that story was made up we had plenty of reasons for war, we just didn't get the job done then so we went back to do it right the second time.
July 22nd, 2004  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Guy
Uhm...some of you guys are experiencing a tremendous misunderstanding: the Hague Court is NOT the ICJ.

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0822353.html

And http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0825340.html
Well, if you read the stories you linked to, you'll see that all the courts mentioned there are in The Hague. So I don't think there's that much of a misunderstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
And by Haag do you mean The Hague in the Netherlands? I assume that is what you meant but I just want to make sure.
The real name of the city we're talking about is "Den Haag" So calling it "Haag" wasn't as stupid as you might think.

Now on topic: The US of A supports the court but want's it's laws to apply to everyone but the US. The US is even capable of invading the Netherlands if the court tries to try a US soldier. As an inhabitant of the Netherlands I don't really like that idea. The US seems to think they're above the law, and that's not a nice or wise attitude to have, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman
ok this is ridicilous,Haig is never gonna trial americans cuz they manage it..........its their marionete,they r just gonna put a bunch of serbs to get ridh of them and all,but no albanian terrorists.....thats haig
*cough* BS *cough* It's not "managed by the US" and the court that is trying to try Milosovic right now is not the same one as the one we're talking about, although it is in the same city.
July 22nd, 2004  
Italian Guy

The misunderstanding is there, since the so called Hague court is another cattle of fish than the IJC, although they're in the same place.
July 22nd, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Well, from news in last weeks, China is one of the main force who tried the best the take off the "immune protection right" of the US troops in peacekeeping tasks.
July 23rd, 2004  
Young Winston

After reading some of the postings on this topic I can see clearly now why the US is going to continue to have a very painful experience in Iraq and the Middle East in general for many decades to come.

Anyway, I think the US people have to show a bit of guts and demand that their government recognize the ICJ. Same goes for Australia. I don't think the US attitude is playing out very well in the Middle East. These are the "hearts and minds" you have to win.
July 23rd, 2004  
Young Winston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
This talk of US soldiers being judged by other countries is BS, when was the last time a foreign soldier was tryed by a US, or even partially US court? Nurmeberg. And that was after the greatest war we have ever fought and Germany killing as many as 14 million people. And we put our own soldiers on trial for their crimes. To be quite honest I would like to know how they intend to cary out or enforce any rulings the International Community makes? We have proved many times that no one tells the US what to do. When the UN ruled against any military action in Iraq we basically said ok, that is your opinion, but it doesn't matter, we will go in anyways, basically we laughed in their faces and said try to stop us.

I especially liked how France voted against our invasion of Iraq then they complained when we did not allow French companies into Iraq to make money off of the rebuilding of Iraq.
I think what the US is doing with prisoners in Guatomalo Bay, Cuba is pretty dodgy. Two Australians have been held there for over two years and have only recently been charged! They have been called "enemy combatants". I hope this isn't the justice Americans think is OK.