International Air Show Berlin 2006

systemlord

Last weekend I made some Pics at the ILA (Internationale Luftfahrtausstellung) in Berlin.

Some Pics of the US Forces:

Some Pics of the German Forces:

The P3-C Orion. The new long-range Seareconnaisance aircraft of the German Navy

Eurofighter Typhoon

The new TAURUS KEPD 350 (Target Adaptive Unitary and Dispenser Robotic Ubiquity System / Kinetic Energy Penetrator and Destroyer) cruise missile.

Pics of the Eurocopter TIGER at the ground and in flight.

EuroHawk (based on Global Hawk equipped with EADS sensors)

Nice pictures Systemlord.

The title of the thread jogged my memory... anyone else on here old enough to remember the tragedy at the Rammstein Air Show back in 1988? It was a collision with the Italian stunt team if my aging memory serves me right. Ever since then I am relieved whenever I hear of one of these things going off without a hitch.

And thats the reason, why the Patrouille Suisse has to change their program. Since Ramstein the regulations for Air Shows in Germany are very strikt.
I've also made some vids of the flying display. If i have time I will edit them and put them online.

The European ones always seem to have better stuff than the stateside shows. I get a little tired of seeing the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds year after year... after year...

It's quite interesting to see the UCAV Barracuda 99 80 that made its first maiden flight in Spain, being publicly displayed. Although I didn't expect them to do so this early.

Last edited:
Yes, did you notice the Bavarian seal underneath the German and Spanish flags on the Barracuda's tail?

Seeing (and hearing!) the MiG-29 OVT perform its thrust-vectory magic was breathatking! I reckon only the F-22 Raptor could do better. The Patrouille Suisse with their F-5 Freedom Fighters was pretty neat too!

systemlord, I was there on saturday, where they showed, what they claimed was a standard attack pattern: An E-3 flying over the battlefield to chart it, then 2 Typhoons to intercept a hostile F-4 (talk about overwhelming odds) and force it to land, then the Typhoons performing a combat air patrol to keep the airspace clear of enemy aircraft, then ECR Tornados coming in to jam enemy electronics, a tanker Tornado refuelling another Tornado, then several Tornados coming in at different angles to "destroy targets on the ground".

Oh yeah also the USAF people let me board their C-130 Hercules.

Where you there the same day, if not what other aerial stunts did you see (apart from the A380 of which you posted a pic)?

Attachments

• Photo0015.jpg
    Photo0015.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Photo0017.jpg
    Photo0017.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 7
  • Photo0018.jpg
    Photo0018.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo0019.jpg
    Photo0019.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Photo0020.jpg
    Photo0020.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
A picture of the ME 262:

d70_00_0048_4721-messerschmitt-me-262.jpg

The Hot Dogs were not as bad as the Thai stuff. Evil indeed.

[Noticed the sky? The shot was obviously not taken in Berlin last week!]

Last edited:
bulldogg said:
The title of the thread jogged my memory... anyone else on here old enough to remember the tragedy at the Rammstein Air Show back in 1988? It was a collision with the Italian stunt team if my aging memory serves me right. Ever since then I am relieved whenever I hear of one of these things going off without a hitch.
BD: last I heard, most air show coordinators and demonstration teams basically draw a line parallel to the flight line between the runway and the crowd (has to be at least 200 feet from the crowd), and only do maneuvers either along that line, or away from the crowd. Greatly reduces the risk of injuries to the crowd if a "mishap" were to occur.

systemlord said:

NATO Boeing E-3A Sentry
I walked through one of those at Andrews AFB about ten days ago during the Joint Services Open House. There was a darned cute female Air Force captain on it who was eyein' me. :angel: Ah, if I weren't engaged...

Ollie Garchy said:
The Hot Dogs were not as bad as the Thai stuff. Evil indeed.

[Noticed the sky? The shot was obviously not taken in Berlin last week!]

I had a Bratwurst and for me it was o.k. :viking:

Well, on friday the sky really looked particularly like that. A beautiful baby-blue... :thumb:

tomtom22 said:
Great pics, lousy weather!

Damn Right! I went Saturday and missed the blue skies, I guess. Hey, the weather is currently a disaster...when is the sun going to counterattack?

Back