interesting

Will Our Decency Spell Our Demise?Thursday, June 29, 2006
By Neil Cavuto
foxnews_story.gif

Do you remember the old "Batman" TV movie, where Adam West is desperately trying to get rid of a bomb... but first he runs into a little old lady, then a group of kids, then even a little family of ducks. Exasperated, he turns to the camera and says: "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
It was funny stuff. It's not so funny now.
Because Batman then was a noble character trying to do the noble thing in the face of some bad guys who didn't care about little old ladies, or groups of kids, or families of ducks.

You see, rational, honorable, decent people care about such things. Irrational, dishonorable, evil people do not.
That's why the irrational count on us being rational, being honorable and being decent.
It's why the Supreme Court rules Gitmo is a no-go and that we can't treat prisoners of war this way. Even though these aren't typical prisoners and this isn't any typical war.
No matter. We are a nation of standards, even though we fight an enemy that has no standards.
We have rules. They don't.

We covet our freedoms. They covet our corpses.
We are quite properly wedded to our liberties. They are quite predictably wedded to our demise.
We can't see through our decency, our impending doom, because we refuse to fight evil on their level… and they know it.
It's why, I suspect, they love our free press that tracks where they're getting their dough and bemoans where their foot soldiers are getting their punishment.
It's the way noble people live and it's the way noble people will die.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,201634,00.html

I guess invading a country with the most powerful military on Earth doesn't count. Is it really decent to shoot lots of people just because we do it pro-style?

We are a nation of standards, even though we fight an enemy that has no standards.

Make that double standards and I don't know if you have been reading the news lately, but even that seems to be more and more doubtfull!

Even though these aren't typical prisoners and this isn't any typical war.
I'll grant you that it isn't a typical war, but you don't know if they are typical or untypical prisoners. You snatched them away, more than once on some dodgy accusation, you stick them in some hell hole for four years and you have no clue if they are innocent or not. It would have been more human to just execute all the "terrorists" right of the bat.... But that is not what civilized countries do, so let them rot away in Cuba!

what he is saying, at least to me anyway, is this isn't war like the US and the world has ever fought before....and until we take the gloves off, it will get worse, much worse....

Back