Interested in joining USMC OCS

xfoxhound80x

Hello everyone. My name is Foxhound. I am 26 years old and a college graduate. I am interested in serving my country and want to join an OCS program. I know that the USMC OCS program offers the most rigorous training. I didn't enlist because I wanted to go to college and be the first person in my family to get a degree. I now hold that accomplishment. I love this great country of ours and have wanted to serve it since high school. Now I have the opportunity. Having a number of years under my belt working a civilian job, I do not feel the true sense of accomplishment I know I could feel if i joined the Corps. Therefore, I am working on my leadership traits and physical shape in order to prepare for USMC OCS.

The thing that bothers me a little is how much I hear about OCS grads with no prior enlisted experience get little respect versus their previously enlisted counterparts. I feel that in my heart that I can do well at OCS. With God, I know nothing is impossible. That with his wisdom, I will make the right decisions. If I become an officer, my priorities will be serving my country and taking care of those under me. I know I can lead by example. Is there anything else I should do? All I ask is, to give the same respect others give you. I know it will take time. Anyone out there with some constructive insight? Let me know. Thank you.

Sounds like you got a pretty good head on your shoulders, the biggest thing is respect is earned. You have to earn the respect of others without comprimising your position. This is the same advice as any job or anything in life that you will do be it military or not. You have to be able to earn the respect of those under you without lookin weak. People can think your cool but not respect you, big difference.

I agree with Sooner. Contact your OSO post haste and find out what you need to do.
Should you become an Officer of Marines please remember. Your enlisted Marines have much to offer, and listen to your NCO's.

Good luck and Semper Fi.

Like the other two have said, respect is earned and NCO's are important. Remember, that 21 year old Corporal has more field, patrol, and combat time than you will, listen to what he has to say, you may not agree, but it may keep you alive.

First off, I want to thank you guys for your positive input as I begin my journey to OCS. I know the path will be narrow and, at times, difficult. But I will do my best to uphold the values of the Corps and practice them on a daily basis.

As far as ways of attaining the respect of the NCO ranks, I could not agree with you more. One of the leadership traits all Marines must have is knowledge. I know the enlisted men will have way more experience out there in the field than I ever could have. I know coming into this that I will gain valuable insight from those who have already been through it.

To approach a situation and think that one knows it all is foolish. A wise officer would listen to all available information and make a decisive judgement based upon that info. I see this and understand the gravity of it. These are soldiers lives at stake.

03USMC, you said it best,
Your enlisted Marines have much to offer, and listen to your NCO's.

I am understanding now that any NCO placed under my command will be a fountain of wisdom. That communication among us, if it is flowing, will make the unit a more effective and efficient one.

Lil Hulk 1988, your comment,
Remember, that 21 year old Corporal has more field, patrol, and combat time than you will, listen to what he has to say, you may not agree, but it may keep you alive
rings a bell of wisdom. What matters above all is the welfare of the unit. To be stubborn and not think that this 21 year old Corporal knows what he is talking about can potentially lead to someone getting killed. You are also correct in that, yes, I may not agree with everything he has to say. But you better believe that I will weigh his opinion on matters where he obviously has more experience than me.

In conclusion, there are many obstacles to overcome in order to be an effective officer. One of the most important is keeping your group of Marines informed and to maintain the lines of communication open both ways. The bonds of respect will grow tighter, but more importantly, the bond of brotherhood will take hold. Faith in one another will begin to grow. I tell you now that I will always keep my ears open to my NCO's. I will ask questions from them and ask for their perspective on issues. Thank again.

Sincerely,
Foxhound

Back