To intercept or not?

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash7.htm

N. Korean threat activates shield U.S. cites a launch as 'provocative'
Mon Jun 19 2006 23:07:28 ET

The Pentagon activated its new U.S. ground-based interceptor missile defense system, Bill Gertz reports in Tuesday's WASHINGTON TIMES, just as officials announced that any long-range missile launch by North Korea would be considered a "provocative act."

Poor weather conditions above where the missile site was located by U.S. intelligence satellites indicates that an immediate launch is unlikely, said officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

However, intelligence officials said preparations have advanced to the point where a launch could take place within several days to a month.

Two Navy Aegis warships are patrolling near North Korea as part of the global missile defense and would be among the first sensors that would trigger the use of interceptors, the officials said yesterday.

Gertz reports: The U.S. missile defense system includes 11 long-range interceptor missiles, including nine deployed at Fort Greeley, Alaska, and two at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif. The system was switched from test to operational mode within the past two weeks, the officials said.

MORE

C/1Lt Henderson said:
I know, which is why Im saying that we shoot it down if it comes west (not with a nuke, with gunfire.) and if it does turn into war, we go all out. Not just with N. Korea, but with all our "potential" enemies. Once someone, not necessarily the US, but someone, presses the button, everyone is gone. ever seen the movie WarGames?

Potential enemies? We are at odds with many countries in the world. If we went "all out" as you say, the world would be blown apart. The action would polarize those that are fence riding and Armageddon would be on.

remember we are potential enemies with everybody, not just n korea and japan and everyone of our allies now but possibly enemies in the future
i wouldnt take any chance of them launching any type of long range missile over the pac. if it gets anywhere close before it gets over land im saying air to air aginst the missle

C/1Lt Henderson said:
We are simply powerful beyond measure...

Tell that to the 2500 families that have lost their kids, husbands/wives and fathers/mothers that we are simply powerful beyond measure.

You have a lot to learn. I suggest you give up trying to form national policy until you are at least 21.

"We are simply powerful beyond measure..."

sadly alot of people think like that, and think nobody can beat us, maybe we havent been loosing battles or wars, but we are still loosing lives, and untill we can make another country or place surrendrer during a war without loosing ANY lives, then we dont have the right to say that

I was referring to our nuclear capabilities. If we were to use our full arsenal(meaning nuclear bombs in the megaton range) then no one could beat us unless they launched theirs first.

ive have no intention to get involved in this discussion. However hear me good: Do not, i repeat do not, pull another stunt without UN (spes China) backing it!!!!!!!!

Senior Chief said:
Tell that to the 2500 families that have lost their kids, husbands/wives and fathers/mothers that we are simply powerful beyond measure.

You have a lot to learn. I suggest you give up trying to form national policy until you are at least 21.
Oh oh I know, I'll form my national policy now then perhaps change it as it comes...I was referring, as I said before, to the nuclear capabilities of the US. If we used nukes on all the wars we fought in, the only people dying would have been them. Of course, we and the Geneva Convention think that because of the servere destruction involved, nuclear bombs are a last resort. So, men and women die in the fighting.

Ace said:
ive have no intention to get involved in this discussion. However hear me good: Do not, i repeat do not, pull another stunt without UN (spes China) backing it!!!!!!!!

Every "stunt" as you put it has been pulled for years without the UN. They talk a good game but they are peacekeepers only, not offensive strategic forces. And we obviously don't need China or Russia's blessings since the Allied Forces and the US have addressed every operation without them in the past.

Missileer said:
Every "stunt" as you put it has been pulled for years without the UN. They talk a good game but they are peacekeepers only, not offensive strategic forces. And we obviously don't need China or Russia's blessings since the Allied Forces and the US have addressed every operation without them in the past.

Ill just hope you have a interest in keeping those allies in the future. And the key to that is of course UN.....

Ill just hope you have a interest in keeping those allies in the future. And the key to that is of course UN.....
We have our allies, Japan and Austrailia being the two big ones in the regeion.

Are you saying we have to have permission from the UN to use our own missile defenses?

Last edited:
Rabs said:
We have our allies, Japan and Austrailia being the two big ones in the regeion.

Are you saying we have to have permission from the UN to use our own missile defenses?

In theroy yes if you plan to use them before the missiles enter US teritory...

PS: Not my opinion but international law. You wouldnt like if NK shoot down something you were testing in nevada dessert would you?

PS: Not my opinion but international law. You wouldnt like if NK shoot down something you were testing in nevada dessert would you?

That would be over US territory. This missile will cross into International waters and probally heading towards the US. Its our right to shoot the dam thing down if we think its a threat.

Ace said:
In theroy yes if you plan to use them before the missiles enter US teritory...

We are mixing apples and oranges here. There is no way that anyone could conclude that we were firing a weapon toward their country from the Nevada Desert. Besides, we would not fire a missile in the general direction of any country that we see as an unfriendly.

NK on the other hand has only one basic direction they can fire their "we can reach your shores" missile and that is in the general Easterly direction, towards the U.S.

I do not think the international society would even blink an eye if we took out a missile that was half way across the pond. If we waited for it to enter our air space the radiation from a nuc would wipe out a considerable number of citizens.

Besides, asking forgiveness is always easier than asking for permission.

Senior Chief said:
We are mixing apples and oranges here. There is no way that anyone could conclude that we were firing a weapon toward their country from the Nevada Desert. Besides, we would not fire a missile in the general direction of any country that we see as an unfriendly.

NK on the other hand has only one basic direction they can fire their "we can reach your shores" missile and that is in the general Easterly direction, towards the U.S.

I do not think the international society would even blink an eye if we took out a missile that was half way across the pond. If we waited for it to enter our air space the radiation from a nuc would wipe out a considerable number of citizens.

Besides, asking forgiveness is always easier than asking for permission.

True
But if NK publicly states that this is a test launch, would US trust that and leave them alone or shoot it down because:
1. US i afraid and dont trust them
2. US wants to humiliate NK and demonstrate their arsenal for the rest of the world.

Anyway, do anybody have a good reason for why NK would even consider firering nucs against US....

Ace said:
True
But if NK publicly states that this is a test launch, would US trust that and leave them alone or shoot it down because:
1. US i afraid and dont trust them
2. US wants to humiliate NK and demonstrate their arsenal for the rest of the world.

Anyway, do anybody have a good reason for why NK would even consider firering nucs against US....

I don't think they would really need a reason other than to show the world that they could and would.

There are some countries that have not proven trustworthy, North Korea is one of them. Iran might be another. Bad news is that if anyone starts lobbing nukes we are all in for some heavy duty Super High Intensity Training (S.H.I.T.)

Senior Chief said:
I don't think they would really need a reason other than to show the world that they could and would.

There are some countries that have not proven trustworthy, North Korea is one of them.
Why?
Senior Chief said:
Iran might be another.
Why?
Senior Chief said:
Bad news is that if anyone starts lobbing nukes we are all in for some heavy duty Super High Intensity Training (S.H.I.T.)
LOL

I'm biased, as my girlfriend is in Japan right now, but, I say, if they launch that thing over the Sea of Japan, take it out. SM-3 up the tailpipe. Japan is close enough that any launch is a major threat to both the Japanese population and US interests in the region.

Back