INTELLIGENCE

SmallTownHopeful

Hey, I want to go to the Naval Academy and join the Navy. I want to be in the branch of intelligence. In case I don't get into the Naval Academy, however, what courses would prepare me for the intelligence bracnch. I'm thinking along the lines of history, politics and geography

Hi,

I think the Navy should specify what they wish from you.

Personally I'm more interested in joining Airforce Intel but I don't think there would be too many differences in the subjects they would prefer you to study. In Australia, they prefer a Science or Information Technology degree because part of being Intel is analysing and interpreting aerial maps and other high-tech information. I assume a science or technology background would be quite helpful.

However, Intel is more than just analysing high-tech stuff all day. You may also have to analyse and interpret textual information, write reports etc. Therefore, Political Science would be helpful because of its analytical and critical components, as would Languages [you may do some translations]. I'm not sure that History would be helpful. Geography would entail some form of map intepretation so I guess it would be another helpful subject.

Good luck!

Back