Insurgency 101

Ski8799

Insurgencies and counterinsurgencies are complex subsets of warfare. Insurgency and its tactics are as old warfare itself, nothing new about this asymmetrical brand of warfare. Political power is the central issue in insurgencies and counterinsurgencies, each side attempts to gain political authority, and when the people see this political authority as legitimate, that side has won half the battle.

Insurgency is defined as an organized movement aimed at the overthrow of a constituted government through the use of subversion and armed conflict.

Counterinsurgency is defined as military, paramilitary, or other political authority, psychological, economic and civic actions taken by a government to defeat an insurgency.

Counterinsurgents should prepare for a long and protracted battle, months, years, even decades. Significant time and resources are often necessary to defeat an insurgency, to include a full commitment from host nation governments and the local populace. Without full support from the people and a determination to hold out, counterinsurgencies are often doomed to fail.

Insurgent asymmetrical warfare is completely different from conventional warfare, particularly when considering time frames and lengths of campaigns. Most people measure successes of counterinsurgencies in terms of conventional warfare time frames, this is ignorant as the strategist and student of history will understand that counterinsurgencies cannot be measured in conventional terms.

Some of the strategies to success in fighting an insurgency:

Using the appropriate level of force
Sometimes doing nothing is the best reaction in order to mitigate unnecessary dangers to the local populace
Intelligence
Gaining relationships with the local populace
Host nation government support
Host nation Army/Police force

The host nation doing something tolerably is better than us doing it well.
We’ve got to know when to step back and allow for host nation forces to learn and grow in anticipation for their eventual autonomous peacekeeping.
This was most recently employed in the control of Basra and the Iraqi forces battle with the Mahdi Army.

I’ve merely touched on a few things that I’ve read, more to follow, please contribute.

That's all good stuff there but we still need to be there for support, backup, coaching, teaching, training and other things. Obviously, they need to do more and more of their own crap but this still should not mean they are 100% on their own. At least not yet IMHO.

That's all good stuff there but we still need to be there for support, backup, coaching, teaching, training and other things. Obviously, they need to do more and more of their own crap but this still should not mean they are 100% on their own. At least not yet IMHO.

agreed

unfortunately, the Iraqi forces are quite uncapable despite recent achievements.

Last edited:
That's how it seems now.
Takes more than 5 weeks and the public cries that it's a disaster.
Then things just keep getting harder and harder.

That's how it seems now.
Takes more than 5 weeks and the public cries that it's a disaster.
Then things just keep getting harder and harder.

In the counterinsurgency manual it states that the general populous is sometimes ignorant in that they measure counterinsurgency success in terms of conventional warfare success.

The average civilian is an uninformed media puppet, they require spoon feeding in order to grasp what is success.

In the counterinsurgency manual it states that the general populous is sometimes ignorant in that they measure counterinsurgency success in terms of conventional warfare success.

The average civilian is an uninformed media puppet, they require spoon feeding in order to grasp what is success.

From what I've noticed, the general populace seems to be quite content being ignorant to this information. It's easier to watch the news and complain than to hunt out the facts for yourself and understand the reality.

From what I've noticed, the general populace seems to be quite content being ignorant to this information. It's easier to watch the news and complain than to hunt out the facts for yourself and understand the reality.

So true, I noticed that you have a bad company avatar, play on the PS3? I'm completely addicted, I play by my screen name; ski8799

This war will take years to win. Years and years and years. But when the president calls for a quick victory, years and years later the people have a right to be pissed off.

This war will take years to win. Years and years and years. But when the president calls for a quick victory, years and years later the people have a right to be pissed off.

true, but how many statesman or policymakers really know the art of strategy and the complexities of asymmetrical warfare??

Unfortunately, it's a catch-22 on the higher-ups part. With a quick victory gone sour, you'll have people pissed off and not want to follow you anymore. And on the other hand, if you say that the fight is going to take a really long time before you start, people will think you're nuts and not want to follow you in the first place.

Might that be a good thing? Possibly. But on some occasions, intervention (read: invasion) could be necessary to un-:cen: some places which don't listen to peaceful requests and pose a severe threat to not just the US, but possibly the entire world.

Kinda. But in Russia's case, military intervention by any country or alliance has the potential to provoke something far worse than their activity in Georgia.

"Don't poke the bear, kids."

I would assume if we were to war with Russia, we ought to only do so if we're prepared for a world war because that could be the start of a biggie as I am sure China would back their Commie brothers.

Indeed.

And I get the creeping feeling that if any full scale war broke out with Russia, the big red button would have a finger on it 24/7, just in case.

Yeah that too. Scarey stuff, but I'd rather get it on because I don't think this fart fart game stuff is going away until we do it.

true, but how many statesman or policymakers really know the art of strategy and the complexities of asymmetrical warfare??
approximately 0, possibly even fewer. But they have advisors who know. Advisors they ignore...

I hope it never comes to war with Russia, but I get the feeling that it will...

Back