Insurgency 101 - Page 2

--

August 18th, 2008  
The Other Guy

This war will take years to win. Years and years and years. But when the president calls for a quick victory, years and years later the people have a right to be pissed off.
August 18th, 2008  
Ski8799

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
This war will take years to win. Years and years and years. But when the president calls for a quick victory, years and years later the people have a right to be pissed off.
true, but how many statesman or policymakers really know the art of strategy and the complexities of asymmetrical warfare??
August 18th, 2008  
AFSteliga

Unfortunately, it's a catch-22 on the higher-ups part. With a quick victory gone sour, you'll have people pissed off and not want to follow you anymore. And on the other hand, if you say that the fight is going to take a really long time before you start, people will think you're nuts and not want to follow you in the first place.

Might that be a good thing? Possibly. But on some occasions, intervention (read: invasion) could be necessary to un- some places which don't listen to peaceful requests and pose a severe threat to not just the US, but possibly the entire world.
--
August 18th, 2008  
AikiRooster

kinda like Russia currently.
August 18th, 2008  
AFSteliga

Kinda. But in Russia's case, military intervention by any country or alliance has the potential to provoke something far worse than their activity in Georgia.

"Don't poke the bear, kids."
August 18th, 2008  
AikiRooster

I would assume if we were to war with Russia, we ought to only do so if we're prepared for a world war because that could be the start of a biggie as I am sure China would back their Commie brothers.
August 18th, 2008  
AFSteliga

Indeed.

And I get the creeping feeling that if any full scale war broke out with Russia, the big red button would have a finger on it 24/7, just in case.
August 18th, 2008  
AikiRooster

Yeah that too. Scarey stuff, but I'd rather get it on because I don't think this fart fart game stuff is going away until we do it.
August 18th, 2008  
The Other Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski8799
true, but how many statesman or policymakers really know the art of strategy and the complexities of asymmetrical warfare??
approximately 0, possibly even fewer. But they have advisors who know. Advisors they ignore...

I hope it never comes to war with Russia, but I get the feeling that it will...
August 18th, 2008  
AFSteliga

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
I hope it never comes to war with Russia, but I get the feeling that it will...
Same here. Even if it doesn't go nuclear, Western Europe and Canada will end up being the two major battlegrounds.

Cold War, round 2. Ding ding.