"Inside the M1." (XM1,M1,M1A1,M1A2,M1A2 SEP,M1Griz - Page 4

--

February 10th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
Just a picture of the T28 from 1945. T28 Super Heavy Tank. American tank.

that thing ever see combat???
February 10th, 2005  
rOk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
Quote:
Just a picture of the T28 from 1945. T28 Super Heavy Tank. American tank.

that thing ever see combat???
Not that I was aware of such a tank but from what I can tell from the pic I'd say it was still in it's infancy.
Probably it was an answer to the Maus tank or Royal Tiger tank.>>>but I'm only guessing here.

And that actually doesn't seem like a tank to me...more like a tank destroyer>>>note the absence of a rotating turret.
February 10th, 2005  
Charge 7

Yep a prototype. Only 5 built.

http://rain.prohosting.com/jahamill/armort28.html

http://www.military.cz/panzer/tanks/...8/index_en.htm

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/html/usa...s/t28_gmc.html
--
February 10th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Yup. Five built tow left. One at Aberdeen and one here. And yes they where the awnser to the Tiger and King Tiger. 105mm gun.

152mm cannon/launcher, M551 ARV.
February 10th, 2005  
Shadowalker

How does the M1A1 compare against the merkava (sp?) and leopard 2A4, as the egyptians have M1A1, wud they be able to compete against an older leopard 2 such as the A4 or would the leopard 1 be a better comparison?
February 11th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowalker
How does the M1A1 compare against the merkava (sp?) and leopard 2A4, as the egyptians have M1A1, wud they be able to compete against an older leopard 2 such as the A4 or would the leopard 1 be a better comparison?
The M1A1 is comparable the the Leopard 2A4. The only real advantage an M1A1 would have is in it's ammo with the M289 series. An M1A1 is comparable to the Merkava Mk 3 (not baz) as well.
February 11th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Well, the Egyptian M1A1's are older and don't have their proper upgrades. Also the Mk.4 Merkava has good protection, but as Kozzy said the M289 series would blow it all to hell. All Leopards are comparable but can be destroyed by the M1A1 in particular the 2A4. Th A2 SEP is the top of the line, then Merkava Mk.4, then Leopard 2, then Challenger 2.

I like the idea that the Merkava Mk.3 can be used as a APC if needs be.
February 11th, 2005  
SHERMAN

Never really used that way.
February 11th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Well, the Egyptian M1A1's are older and don't have their proper upgrades. Also the Mk.4 Merkava has good protection, but as Kozzy said the M289 series would blow it all to h**l. All Leopards are comparable but can be destroyed by the M1A1 in particular the 2A4. Th A2 SEP is the top of the line, then Merkava Mk.4, then Leopard 2, then Challenger 2.

I like the idea that the Merkava Mk.3 can be used as a APC if needs be.
This is assuming the other tanks don't get their shots off first. Even the M1A2SEP has a good 50% (very loose estimate) chance of being penetrated by any of those other tanks.

I wouldn't use "blow it all to hell" either. The Mk 4 would be penetrated, but it definitely wouldn't explode. The crew would have a good chance of survival.
February 11th, 2005  
SHERMAN

yep