"Inside the M1." (XM1,M1,M1A1,M1A2,M1A2 SEP,M1Griz

I am not a tanker, but I was an anti armor gunner for a while and everyone in the infantry does armored fighting vehicle recognition and stuff like that... I'm not sure that having a smoothbore or rifled cannon on a tank matters all that much these days with devices such as muzzle reference systems.

Pete031 said:
I am not a tanker, but I was an anti armor gunner for a while and everyone in the infantry does armored fighting vehicle recognition and stuff like that... I'm not sure that having a smoothbore or rifled cannon on a tank matters all that much these days with devices such as muzzle reference systems.

I don't think a rifled guns muzzle droop is anymore then a smoothbores, that only matters if a gun is longer. Early L55 guns had such a bad muzzle droop problems that the gun would be ruined.

Well, if you want to fire a 120mm APFSDS round and you have a rifled 120mm your out of luck.

The British have a 120mm rifled gun and we have 120mm Smothbore we fire HEAT, Sabot, MPAT, and STAFF.

They fire HESH and I forget the rest.

Well smoothbores have a higher velocity.

Cadet Airman Adam Seaman said:
Well, if you want to fire a 120mm APFSDS round and you have a rifled 120mm your out of luck.

The British have a 120mm rifled gun and we have 120mm Smothbore we fire HEAT, Sabot, MPAT, and STAFF.

They fire HESH and I forget the rest.

Well smoothbores have a higher velocity.

The have the CHARM3 and 30 which are APFSDS rounds.

also, until the 120mm smoothbore came along, all western tanks used the british 105mm L7 or a similar USA 105mm, and those were rifled. The brits had a 120mm first, and it was the L11 120mm rifled on the Chieftain. So really, if they can shoot APFSDS(like Kozzy Mozzy said), they have no reason to change their main guns. The Americans chose a German main weapon, after they decided to put 120mm on their tanks. I dont know why. anyone knows?

I'm not sure but I heard that The Challenger has a naval canon as its main armament.... Can anyone confirm?

Here is an email I received today about a contract to upgrade the M1A1. About time.

NCS to Equip USMC Tanks with
New Night-Vision Sensors
NCS won a $32.5 million contract to equip
the U.S. Marines’ M1A1 tank with Firepower
Enhancement Program sensor kits.
The Firepower Enhancement Program
is a suite of upgrades for the M1A1 tank
that is unique to the Marine Corps and will
eventually equip its entire fleet of M1A1
tanks.
The FEP sensor kits will improve the Marines’
ability to engage targets accurately, 24/7,
in all weather conditions and at extended
ranges.
“Giving our troops the ability to ‘shoot the
enemy before he knows you’re there’ is one
way we can help them come home safely,”
said a Combat Systems VP.
A 1st Marine Division M1A1 Abrams tank crew settles in for the evening during a patrol
in Iraq. (picture)

Speaking of USMC M1A1s, does anyone know anything about the infrared countermeasure device on the top of the turret that was deployed on some M1A1s in OIF?

Yes. The smoke has chaff (small peices of tin foil) that interupt the signature and allow the M1 to make a get away.

Also we chose the german gun because we fire APFSDS-T rounds at a much higher velocity.

The British use DUKEC (Depleted Uranium Kinetic Energy Cartridges) not APFSDS rounds.

The M1 had the M68A1 Rifled Gun the M1A1/A1 have the M256 Smoothbore Gun.

Just a picture of the T28 from 1945. T28 Super Heavy Tank. American tank.
12031.jpg

chewie_nz said:
Just a picture of the T28 from 1945. T28 Super Heavy Tank. American tank.
12031.jpg

that thing ever see combat???

Not that I was aware of such a tank but from what I can tell from the pic I'd say it was still in it's infancy.
Probably it was an answer to the Maus tank or Royal Tiger tank.>>>but I'm only guessing here.

And that actually doesn't seem like a tank to me...more like a tank destroyer>>>note the absence of a rotating turret.

Yup. Five built tow left. One at Aberdeen and one here. And yes they where the awnser to the Tiger and King Tiger. 105mm gun.

152mm cannon/launcher, M551 ARV.

How does the M1A1 compare against the merkava (sp?) and leopard 2A4, as the egyptians have M1A1, wud they be able to compete against an older leopard 2 such as the A4 or would the leopard 1 be a better comparison?

Shadowalker said:
How does the M1A1 compare against the merkava (sp?) and leopard 2A4, as the egyptians have M1A1, wud they be able to compete against an older leopard 2 such as the A4 or would the leopard 1 be a better comparison?

The M1A1 is comparable the the Leopard 2A4. The only real advantage an M1A1 would have is in it's ammo with the M289 series. An M1A1 is comparable to the Merkava Mk 3 (not baz) as well.

Well, the Egyptian M1A1's are older and don't have their proper upgrades. Also the Mk.4 Merkava has good protection, but as Kozzy said the M289 series would blow it all to hell. All Leopards are comparable but can be destroyed by the M1A1 in particular the 2A4. Th A2 SEP is the top of the line, then Merkava Mk.4, then Leopard 2, then Challenger 2.

I like the idea that the Merkava Mk.3 can be used as a APC if needs be.

Well, the Egyptian M1A1's are older and don't have their proper upgrades. Also the Mk.4 Merkava has good protection, but as Kozzy said the M289 series would blow it all to h**l. All Leopards are comparable but can be destroyed by the M1A1 in particular the 2A4. Th A2 SEP is the top of the line, then Merkava Mk.4, then Leopard 2, then Challenger 2.

I like the idea that the Merkava Mk.3 can be used as a APC if needs be.

This is assuming the other tanks don't get their shots off first. Even the M1A2SEP has a good 50% (very loose estimate) chance of being penetrated by any of those other tanks.

I wouldn't use "blow it all to hell" either. The Mk 4 would be penetrated, but it definitely wouldn't explode. The crew would have a good chance of survival.

Back