"Inside the M1." (XM1,M1,M1A1,M1A2,M1A2 SEP,M1Griz - Page 2

--

February 7th, 2005  
Charge 7

It would be relevant if we were still fighting the Civil War - we aren't. And though much of the time cannons were used in direct firee roles 140 years ago in that conflict they weren't by any means always used so. Totally irrelevant to apply that concept to todays tanks and artillery.
February 7th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Not really. A lot of Soviet style armies use direct fire guns. But we're getting really off topic here.
For MBT, the smoothbore seems ideal when it comes to the more powerful rounds.
February 7th, 2005  
Charge 7

Did I ever say once that the M1 shouldn't have a smoothbore? No, I said that smoothbore is not more accurate than rifled bore in the Civil War or ever for that matter, and that it did not take longer to fire rifled cannons than smoothbore in the Civil War either.

Kozzy Mozzy is correct about the muzzle velocity of the APFSDS _now_. I don't believe they were using those that much 140 years ago.

The M1 has the tube it needs. That could be said without making irrelevant and inaccurate comments about artillery.
--
February 7th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Alright whatever. Back to the tank.
February 7th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Oh crap! I got my wires crossed. Its spose to be rifled is better than smoothbore.
February 7th, 2005  
Charge 7

February 7th, 2005  
FO Seaman

The part about the rifled gun wearing down faster then smoothbore is true though.
February 7th, 2005  
Charge 7

Indeed it is. That's why they're taken out of service after a set amount of rounds and have their lands and grooves replaced.
February 8th, 2005  
MadeInChina

ai, cant u people already see it

smoothbore is designed for sabot rounds that can stablize itself and therefore it doe snot need a rifled barrel

on the whole it is used for anittank work

north artilery pieces still needed rifle grooves to enhnace accracy
February 8th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Yes AA we established the APFSDS rounds use fins to stablize their trajectory, hence Armor Peircing Fin Stablized Discarding Sabot.

What do you mean north arty peices still have grooves? So do southern peices, besides most arty peices are built at Waterlet Arsenal in New York.