Info on German 88mm Anti Tank Shells please. I found one... - Page 2

--

August 31st, 2006  
systemlord

O.K. it is definetly an 8,8cm Panzergranate 39 with Bodenzünder 5127.
You've found the with distance most dangerous variant of the 8,8cm PzGr.

Don't touch it! Don't move it!

The fuze has a linked up firing pin spring and is in this condition more than lethal.
The explosive charge consists of H10 (90% Hexogen and 10% Wax).
It belonges eliminated IMMEDIATELY by EOD...

The first on ist the one you found, the second one is a PzGr. 41.
August 31st, 2006  
Team Infidel

Do Not Touch Or Move... Call Eod Now!!!
August 31st, 2006  
edrob357

I'm not that thick. If I find something that looks remotely dangerous or unexploded, I get it checked out by the service de deminage (bomb squad) before I move it, as I did with this (that's why I couldn't post the photos when I started this thread- because the Bomb Squad hadn't clearded it until later that day) but you have to go out in the first place with a metal detector to find the stuff. If it's an artillery nose fuze with a cm or two of shattered shell casing attached, then it's pretty safe to assume that it's already gone off, or looks like the shell that I found on the somme battlefield from WW1 (look at the attached picture of a German Gas shell), it's a pretty safe bet that it's gone off. Both these shells were sticking out the surface of the ground in a field. They sell these things to Tourists here for 10 Euros a pop. All over the place. Mortar Bombs, the lot. You just have to get them checked out and declared safe first.

Nice to have it Identified as a Panzer Grenate 39. Thanks SystemLord. They're quite rare and very sought after by collectors. You can't beat digging up your own collection, though. My bosses wife has another one of the same type of 88 anti tank shell on their mantlepiece that she found in her garden (behind Gold Beach) when she was about five.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp German Gas Shell Somme sm.bmp (45.5 KB, 21 views)
--
August 31st, 2006  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrob357
If it's an artillery nose fuze with a cm or two of shattered shell casing attached, then it's pretty safe to assume that it's already gone off, or looks like the shell that I found on the somme battlefield from WW1 (look at the attached picture of a German Gas shell), it's a pretty safe bet that it's gone off.
It's certainly a bet, but I wouldn't say that it's a safe one....

For some strange reason () I happen to know a thing or two about arty shells, and I can tell you that if you find a fuze with a couple cm of the shell casing left then it's certainly not safe to assume that it's gone off at all...
I've been "cleaning" arty live fire ranges many times, and I've found several live fuzes that's been knocked directly off the shells (with and without shell casing parts attached), and they did certainly still contain high explosives and where highly unstable.
So unless you're 100% certain on what you're doing (got an EOD education...) then I wouldn't touch any fuzes at all....

And the same goes for the gas shell you've found.
They can still contain some nasty stuff that's just waiting for some fresh air so they can ignite again (Like WP and certain types of gas)...

So even if it's 60-80 years old and looks like it's gone off, then it still can contain some pretty dangerous stuff, and you don't need much HE at all to blow your hands or fingers off..
August 31st, 2006  
Team Infidel

You need to believe us.. Redleg and I are artillerymen. We know and understand this. But, hey, what do I know.
August 31st, 2006  
Missileer

Hmmm, I think I'll just twist this little......
September 1st, 2006  
Team Infidel

If you twist, don't forget to wear because if you don't there is a good chance you will wear
September 1st, 2006  
AussieNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Infidel
You need to believe us.. Redleg and I are artillerymen. We know and understand this. But, hey, what do I know.
Nothing!!! You bunch of cloud punchers
September 2nd, 2006  
Team Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
Nothing!!! You bunch of cloud punchers
Yeah, but we will be saving your when you need us..... so don't cry when we are not there, but when we are you need to
September 5th, 2006  
AussieNick

Quote:
Yeah, but we will be saving your when you need us..... so don't cry when we are not there, but when we are you need to
Yeah I know... I've just gotta take the chance to have a crack at you guys

(Im just envious of your motorised transport... damn being an infanteer)