Infantry might get obsolete

SWORDS has been taken off line. A number of them went AWOL and didn't listen to commands. Yup... the damn droids went Skynet on us.

Pfft, that's nothing. Take a look at that mini helicopter with the double AA-12s!

In any case, robots will compliment the infantry, not replace them. At least not for another 50-100 years.

And when they do replace humans, with whom will the ultimate responsibility rest? That's a lot of power to put in the hands of one man, or any government for that matter.

I don't think the SWORDS went around making their own decisions. They don't have the package to do that. No AI controlled or assisted input whatsoever. Probably a case of having to use them in urban terrain which is very unfriendly for radio waves.
The responsibility, once they've replaced humans, will lie on the human operator on the other end and it will go up the chain of command very much like today. Heck, imagine going to war is like playing a first person shooter.
Truth is as for standing a post, you could probably just achieve that through CCTV with an attached rifle or machine gun. But as of now, people are cheaper.

But as of now, people are cheaper.
Exactly. And I think cost is precisely what keeps these kinds of developments at a low level. Technology for producing more advanced, even humanoid, robots capable of aiming and shooting has been around for many years now, but the costs still remain high. Nevertheless, these bots are really great for disarming bombs and clearing mines, etc.

No one can tell how it's going to be half a century later though.

were the operators are seems like a easy target by atrelliary or air, plus a more simelessely in real life than any robot.

Once our technology gets better in regards to computers I wouldn't be surprised if they could totally outdo humans in war. Instant reaction, can contemplate every single possible outcome before you even form a plan, etc.

A`HOY I was reading someone else statement on another site the other day. They made the point once robots are the norm on the battle field epically along boarders, Governments well be more likly to ingage in recon and get into conflects.

IMO People can say if only machines are being destroyed it wont be considered that serious.

However things might not be reported till its to late too.

And where is all the energy comming from, what about good old clearn earth. LOL G-day!

you can just hack into the central control and give them all viruses, then you have no combat troops sorry... i know if there a system, you can hack it, no matter what you say, all computers are vulernable, you are talking to a complete computer nerd

Re: Hacking

With whatever system controls the robots in a closed system, with no contact with outside systems, hacking at that end would involve, without question, physical access to the machine.

If they're controlled over the air waves a simple encryption is beyond practically cracking.

A 64 bit encryption is the largest to be broken to this date by brute force, aka trying every possibility. It took almost 5 years. The people who broke that one are now working on a 72 bit encryption now, and it's estimated to take over a thousand years to break. Just so there isn't any confusion, that's to break just one key, out of countless others. The US government uses as low as 128 bit for Secret level classified information and 192 bit for Top Secret.

It is crackable. To this date and in the foreseeable future it isn't practically crackable.

If human infantrymen get replaced by robots, I'll riot and destroy every robot, including those vacuum cleaner robots. :rambo:

These robotic things are worrying me, not because it takes soldiers off the frontline, but because there are some things that require human ingenuity. I really hope soldiers don't go extinct before I get out of high school.

With whatever system controls the robots in a closed system, with no contact with outside systems, hacking at that end would involve, without question, physical access to the machine.

If they're controlled over the air waves a simple encryption is beyond practically cracking.

A 64 bit encryption is the largest to be broken to this date by brute force, aka trying every possibility. It took almost 5 years. The people who broke that one are now working on a 72 bit encryption now, and it's estimated to take over a thousand years to break. Just so there isn't any confusion, that's to break just one key, out of countless others. The US government uses as low as 128 bit for Secret level classified information and 192 bit for Top Secret.

It is crackable. To this date and in the foreseeable future it isn't practically crackable.

there is better people out there than that person i guarantee you that too, do you know how much professional hackers can make! millions and millions of dollars, so there no way a government has the best with that kind of money up for grabs.

This is the same line of crap that said fighters were obsilite, tanks were obsilite, guns on aircraft, etc.

Okay a human can adapt to changing conditions a computer can only deal with what is in it's programing as soon as some new situation presents itself the computer is screwed. Also if the bad guy hack into your droid army they can turn them around and attack you. Troops are a bit more loyal. :CG:

Then well, your robot army is fried.
But then again, there's a LOT of stuff out there that can kill a human being.

Back