Infantry might get obsolete

Not even going to bother reading the post, I just saw the title and said "Yep, just like the tank was obsolete in the 70's because of helicopters and airplanes and surface vessels are obsolete now that we have submarines."

Once the Robo-armies are defeated regular Joes will rise up to fight against the robots, same as happens when a regular army is defeated and the partisans form to resist the conquerors.

Sooner or later it'll happen.
Replacing the infantry with these guys is still a long ways off, but the UAV replacing the manned combat aircraft will be happening probably not too far off in the future.
Tanks too will eventually become unmanned though as long as the armor holds they will continue to have a crew.

Bender and his ilk will try and kill us. Just you wait and see...

futurama-bender.jpg

I dont think that such platforms like the SWORD can get AWOL like Redneck said... They are not automated, they have no AI, they follow orders.

And they can be extremely cheap... It's just a big toy with a gun and a camera attached to it.

The most expensive part of it would be software to protect the communication device. It would be a shame if a terrorist can take command of a SWORD and make it attack it's own people.

It will be a little more expensive than a toy because it will use strong materials... You wont make it out of plastic to see it destroyed by the first enemy with a rifle...

The sensor part will be it's weak spot... If you destroy the cameras with an incendiary weapon (grenade) the platform will be useless...

The answer would be a "return home" system... make the platform take the route it took to get there backwards to return to base. Or an autodestruct system to not let the opfor slavage the machine gun and ammo...

the autodestruct option is not a good idea if you want to use these things in a hostage rescue operation.

But I think that the real advance would be the exoskelets technologies... Imagine a soldier capable of carrying a .50cal machine gun... or capable of climbing a wall or to jump a 2 story building to take position in the roof in 2seconds... and forget the dilemma of the choice between mobility and personnal armor...

But I prefer to see people putting their lives in the line of fire rather than to put people behind computers and let them kill people...

I wont ask to bring swords to kill people... but I think that pulling the trigger on someone is much better than pushing the button on a dot in a computer screen.

I wonder if the insurgents have ever used UGVs to attack Americans. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to strap a bomb to an R/C car, and it'd sure as hell be cheaper than an actual purpose built war machine like we use.

Remote controled toys cant carry much harware (explosives here)... Maybe a couple hand grenades, but it wont make much damage...

And these toys are noisy... The electric motor makes a lot of noise... the soldier will hear it before it gets close enough... And the operator have to be pretty close to control it...

I dont think that a remote controled toy may do the trick... And these guys are just peasants with rifles... Not very sophisticated fellas... Brave and stupid zealots...

I dont think that such platforms like the SWORD can get AWOL like Redneck said... They are not automated, they have no AI, they follow orders.

And they can be extremely cheap... It's just a big toy with a gun and a camera attached to it.

The most expensive part of it would be software to protect the communication device. It would be a shame if a terrorist can take command of a SWORD and make it attack it's own people.

It will be a little more expensive than a toy because it will use strong materials... You wont make it out of plastic to see it destroyed by the first enemy with a rifle...

The sensor part will be it's weak spot... If you destroy the cameras with an incendiary weapon (grenade) the platform will be useless...

The answer would be a "return home" system... make the platform take the route it took to get there backwards to return to base. Or an autodestruct system to not let the opfor slavage the machine gun and ammo...

the autodestruct option is not a good idea if you want to use these things in a hostage rescue operation.

But I think that the real advance would be the exoskelets technologies... Imagine a soldier capable of carrying a .50cal machine gun... or capable of climbing a wall or to jump a 2 story building to take position in the roof in 2seconds... and forget the dilemma of the choice between mobility and personnal armor...

But I prefer to see people putting their lives in the line of fire rather than to put people behind computers and let them kill people...

I wont ask to bring swords to kill people... but I think that pulling the trigger on someone is much better than pushing the button on a dot in a computer screen.
you would rather put people in harms way then to keep them safe?

My personal opinion, you are always going to need boot's on the ground, bloke's with rifle's and bayonet's to do the dirty work. Governments always consider the bottom line, whats cheaper, men or equipment. Its cheaper to bury a man then to replace a million dollar robot

Last edited:
Remote controled toys cant carry much harware (explosives here)... Maybe a couple hand grenades, but it wont make much damage...

And these toys are noisy... The electric motor makes a lot of noise... the soldier will hear it before it gets close enough... And the operator have to be pretty close to control it...

I dont think that a remote controled toy may do the trick... And these guys are just peasants with rifles... Not very sophisticated fellas... Brave and stupid zealots...

You might be surprised at the ingenuity of these insurgents. Using cellphones, wireless doorbell chimes, and a host of other COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) devices to trigger their IED's. If they decide to use a command detonated IED with commo wire and a car battery these are much harder to defeat.

AHOY, what were talking about is Heavy metal/robots, automation, mechanics vs. genetic engineering/bio tech, science. The exoskeleton tech mentioned by LeMask is interesting to me and IMO could be the great equalizer. Think Iron man or Sigourney Weaver in Aliens with the futuristic fork lift. With landing pad and hangers for micro UAVs, UGVs aka genetic engineered rats (lol). SWORDS should have an autonomous mode set for self defense only. To be used when contact is lost. I can see the SEAL version with inflatable track pads to eliminate tracks on the beach or in any terrain tracks might give there location away. (don’t forget the spore gentlemen) And the Air borne versions that could retain there parachutes and all versions could be retrieved by a sky hook system remember the movie The Green berets. With machines I could see a flood light looking system scanning the area then an instant focusing/narrowing of it into a laser death ray as it zapped a target. Anyone seeing that flood light (visual terror effect) scanning around would know the focus was no jokus. UGVs are being used by Israel and lots of video century towers too. There sensors can be any type of course, cameras could be the wire/flexible cord type i.e. like we have all seen in the SWAT movies where they drill a hole and push the camera threw bend it around like a finger etc. these could be multiple and housed in a damage protective sleeve/pipe. The more the danger level goes up the less the sensors (camera, mics, etc.) are exposed i.e. the more they are drawn into sleeve. Call it octopus-eye lol! Also don’t forget all you hi tech types they (SWORDS) well use Network warfare tactics i.e. combining all units sensors, and yes sound can be used to aim weapons (CROWS) it dose not have to be a shot from a weapon it could just be foot steps. Look out blind man shooting. With SWORDS could we not also consider more deployment of less if not non lethal weapons? Since there is less danger to life of those operating them why not take more of a chance in not winning the engagement. One week link is the electromagnetic signals, especially from satellites. IMO the machines well have to be solar powered how ever if we scorch the skies (movie Matrix) they well just use space elevators to link to space solar systems. EMPs IMO from what I’ve read are only temporary, in the future it may be possible to seed skies like one seeds clouds to make it rain nowadays. I’m not sure but lasers still work as far as propagation goes right. I mean as long as you can produce one it well project through the air (why not they work in space) so you have that communication ability (farphoons). Another big disadvantage is the SWORDS just don’t have enough mobility. By the time it climbs some stirs traditional infantry are in another building. And what about a virtual reality room (bobby trap) i.e. as one of these machines turns a corner it inters a pre-constructed virtual reality chamber and never nose the difference until its plug has been pulled or the diversion complete.Terminators; the first series well have rubber skin we’ll spot them easy (lol).I would rather have a well trained K-9. And with genetic engineering well basically anything scientist has cells of can be duplicated and combined, i.e. insect chameleon camouflage, snake heat sensors, bat radar, and monkey strength (lol). It’s the book thumpers (religious freaks) holding it (science) all back. One last thing remember the hand is quicker than the eye.
G-day!

Back