Inert Ordnance

--

April 15th, 2009  
DireWolf

Topic: Inert Ordnance

Does anyone know where I can get Inert Ordnance? Shells, Projectiles, etc.
April 15th, 2009  
MontyB

I got a lot from a local scrap metal yard but I have also seen a number of auction website with shells for sale.
April 15th, 2009  
A Can of Man

I know of some bold individuals who actually snuck into military live fire training grounds to get scrap metal. Some woman lost a few limbs after moving a live one. So don't pick up stuff from a training center near you.
--
April 15th, 2009  
AFSteliga

Auction sites, possibly scrap yards, and maybe even a local Army Surplus could have a few things laying around.
April 18th, 2009  
DireWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I got a lot from a local scrap metal yard but I have also seen a number of auction website with shells for sale.

Can you list them? I have checked Gunbroker and ebay.
April 19th, 2009  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Can you list them? I have checked Gunbroker and ebay.
Gold Nugget Surplus has some http://www.goldnuggetsurplus.com/
March 19th, 2010  
SEEK100

Topic: RE: Inert Ord.

Forget E-Bay, They stopped people from selling on the site about two years ago. What are you looking for? I may have some to sell.
June 1st, 2010  
franzmaximilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Does anyone know where I can get Inert Ordnance? Shells, Projectiles, etc.
Just climb the mountains!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict0019bis.jpg (86.0 KB, 21 views)
July 10th, 2010  
LeEnfield

It is not unusual to find that stuff sold as inert is actual live
July 10th, 2010  
senojekips

The danger being that inert ordnance is not always completely inert.

Seen here is a small but dangerous enough pile of Baratol that I removed out of a 1942 Mills grenade that had sat on someone's mantle piece for nearly 60 years. The detonator, time fuse and primer had been removed, but the explosive was intact. Baratol is a TNT based explosive, and is reasonably insensitive when kept in good condition, but there's no telling what happens to it over that period of time.

It burnt beautifully with a soft hot flame similar to that of sporting powder so I have no doubt that it still could have been quite energetic under the right circumstances. Even a low order detonation would have ruined the day for anyone warming their bum in front of the fire.