Indonesia - Page 4

--

April 20th, 2005  
AussieNick

And remember, Australia is never to keen on Indonesia stretching it's legs or exercising it's lungs to much. There can only be one major power in the region, and I think we've got that covered. Australia won't let Indonesia rise above it's current position (for pure economics and security).

As for Kopassus. They are totally overated. They've done exercises in far north QLD and been totally wiped out, and when the SAS came up against them on the border of East/West Timor, they were decimated. So much for special forces.
April 20th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

I can understand Australia's misgivings about the potential for Indonesia to becoming more powerful. Given solid leadership and reason to become more unified, Indonesia could easily evolve into a HUGE player in the region. They are barely worth noticing currently, at least in terms of influence. Its a sleeping giant of sorts. Its also a lot of wasted potential.
April 22nd, 2005  
Warwick

Indonesia's army gets most of its experience policing the islands and fighting poorly equiped guerrillas. Aceh is a good example.
As for their Airforce, they have some good aircraft but not the capability to maintain them and keep them flying.
Comes down to dollars and education. They are spread pretty thin, deal with a giant bueracracy that sucks up money.
The Government walks a fine line with the generals that run their own feithdoms in the provinces.
As pointed out in an earlier post, Indonesia is made up of hundreds of islands. It must be a nightmare to police and govern and keep the various ethnic groups happy.
Corruption is a way of life over there.
But. until they get their act together they will not become too much of an embugerance in the Asian power stakes. Not yet anyway.
--
April 22nd, 2005  
GIANTNEVERSAYNO

I believe that, the Indonesians requires more than a decade to rebuild their country. As mentioned earlier, they were hit hard by tsunami, almost the entire city wiped out, lately, the eartquake is giving them a lot of problems and their volcanoes are getting active. These factors will surely give a huge economical impact to their economy.... W/out money, they can't do anything.
April 22nd, 2005  
Boobies

Topic: Yikes

Anyone know any more details about 1998 Indonesian anti-Chinese riots? What are the Indonesian policies are like now? Like Redneck said, it seems extreme Muslim was ruling the country. What are these Muslim's sentiment towards the west at this moment of time?

I do have couple links about the riot.

[link removed]

http://www.wsws.org/news/1998/feb1998/indones.shtml
April 22nd, 2005  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

Indonesia is one of the very Few countries which operates F-16's and Su-30's at the same time?

Indonesian SU 27SK

SU 30MK

Indonesian F16 A/B
http://www.cvl.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~ka.../F-16BIndo.jpg

Aceh Under Siege............. Hawk mk 109/209 for bombing in Aceh rebel bases

Old OV 10 Bronco to for bombing those separatist in Aceh

Mi35 Hind

Rapier ( SAM )

RBS 70 ( SAM )

April 23rd, 2005  
Warwick

Nice photos.
And wow they have 6 F16s flying at the same time!!!LOL.
The rapier and RBS 70 are nasty pieces of work. Especially if they fall into the wrong hans over there.
April 24th, 2005  
MadeInChina

well, i know alot of chinese were killed during 98, but can anyone care to be more detailed about it??

it seems so unjustfied to kill chinese just cuz we are rich and in the control of the local economy, this is exactly what happened to jews in germany, only on tropical islands
April 24th, 2005  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

Quote:
Nice photos.
And wow they have 6 F16s flying at the same time!!!LOL.
Yup that pretty Much Sums up the AirForce ..............i think they have Currently 5 to 9 Operational F-16's and .............. One or two SU30K........... They lack Economy to back their MIllitary Equipments .

Peace.
April 24th, 2005  
Shadowalker

I suppose there only military activities are going to be against rebels, and if there involved in peacekeeping activities other nations can supply the aircraft, so they dont need that much of an airforce. Anybody know anything against there amphibious fleet? Do they have one?