Indonesia

if any one wanna to know what is happening in 1998, and if he/she understand chinese, i think i can help a bit
for those who dont know chinese, still u can get a shocked feel just watch the pictures in the web

look at my flag and ull know i speak chinese

ive got the guts to look at it but if its any worse than nanjing masscre ill save my dinner

lol i just want to know the articles describing the tragic event, apparently indonesians nowadays sorta changed their views of china after we helped them in the tsunami event

About the Chinese in 98... yes they were the scape goats of the economic crisis. Suharto tried to turn the attention towards them and not himself. Chinese areas of Jakarta got raided badly. I can't tell you how many people died though. I never got those figures.
Stories we heard that were quite persistent were that rioters, rapists etc. etc. were actually TRUCKED to the Chinese neighborhoods via Army trucks. So basically means that this was no coincidence. It's possible that the government paid a group of people to take the initiative and start an anti-Chinese rampage in the city, where upon angry locals would join in and make it bigger. It's not unreasonable to believe this... in Indonesia, Suharto's party (even after Suharto) paid people to rally for them during the runups to the first elections.

So basically while this chaos was going on, Suharto was out of the country. He came back and the rioting stopped. I think this actually happened twice, though I'm not sure the first time around, the Chinese were attacked on an organized manner. It worked somewhat the first time, so when Suharto came under fire yet again, the rumor is that he engineered it. Again, it seemed like one of those rumors you could actually believe. After all, the people chose to believe this one, and the tactic (if it was one) backfired and it killed off Suharto's political legitimacy altogether leading to his downfall.

So there's a little inside stuff from someone who was there at the time and I hope it answers some of your questions MadeinChina

GIANTNEVERSAYNO said:
I believe that, the Indonesians requires more than a decade to rebuild their country. As mentioned earlier, they were hit hard by tsunami, almost the entire city wiped out, lately, the eartquake is giving them a lot of problems and their volcanoes are getting active. These factors will surely give a huge economical impact to their economy.... W/out money, they can't do anything.
Considering that they were barely relevant Internationally before the tsunami, that disaster certainly doesn't help matters.

To say that Indonesia needs 10 years to rebuild is forgetting something: It was primarily Sumatra that was affected. Most of Indonesia was not directly hit. So outside of the affected portions of Sumatra, Indonesia remains pretty much the same.

The greatest obstacles in the way of Indonesia developing:
1.) Disunity. Their country is a single nation in name and government, but it doesn't seem to engender much in the way of national pride, nor overall sense of unity.
2.) As stated, a prevalence of natural disasters.
3.) Poverty and the corruption that always comes with it.
4.) Civil Wars.

I wonder if Indonesia can develop properly, or if it would require a breakup into several smaller nations before it can work?

I wouldn't exactly call Indonesia peaceful. It's just too concerned with controlling it's own civil wars to be outwardly agressive.

1.) Disunity. Their country is a single nation in name and government, but it doesn't seem to engender much in the way of national pride, nor overall sense of unity.
4.) Civil Wars.

Godofthunder, I do agree with you that corruption is a way of life over there... My family visited the country back few years ago, we have to give an extra 'tip' just for their immigration officers to process our passport sooner, If we insist of not paying the tip, then we have to wait until the end of the day. They will take their own sweet time to process your passport.
Poverty is a major issue, especially in the Capital. There are many jobless people and they are easily provoked by any rumours.

um, can you tell me about the hatred towards chinese in indonesia, can you give me more detail on why indonesians hated chinese???

godofthunder9010 said:
GIANTNEVERSAYNO said:
I believe that, the Indonesians requires more than a decade to rebuild their country. As mentioned earlier, they were hit hard by tsunami, almost the entire city wiped out, lately, the eartquake is giving them a lot of problems and their volcanoes are getting active. These factors will surely give a huge economical impact to their economy.... W/out money, they can't do anything.
Considering that they were barely relevant Internationally before the tsunami, that disaster certainly doesn't help matters.

To say that Indonesia needs 10 years to rebuild is forgetting something: It was primarily Sumatra that was affected. Most of Indonesia was not directly hit. So outside of the affected portions of Sumatra, Indonesia remains pretty much the same.

4.) Civil Wars.

I wonder if Indonesia can develop properly, or if it would require a breakup into several smaller nations before it can work?

Excellent comment godofthunder.

Ethnic, religious tensions and corruption have been a constant concern in Indonesia. Considering its diversity I am amazed how far indonesia has come in spite of the ongoing problems.

MadeInChina said:
um, can you tell me about the hatred towards chinese in indonesia, can you give me more detail on why indonesians hated chinese???
Apparently, for the same reason that the Turks hated the Armenians:
1.) Wealth that was achieved through hard work and smart opperating.
2.) Christianity (or any other religion that is not Muslim).

From what I've found on it, apparently most of the Chinese in Indonesia are Christian and they are wealthier because they've worked hard. Lazy, unemployed or similar groups tend to see wealth that appears along ethnic lines as a grand conspiracy. Before you know it, you have any number of conspiracy theories running wild. In a country as impovrished as Indonesia, people are more willing to go along with that sort of thing. Why blame you're own people for the fact that your family is constantly hovering on the brink of starvation?? Easier to blame the foreigner.

HI,

I'd still like to know how big Indonesia's Armed Forces is.

According to Figures i have Indonesia has just under 300,000 in its armed forces .............

Anyone has more pictures of the indonesian armed forces?

On it i have some excelent Picture i will post as soon as i can find them ..... :D

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Indonesia should concentrate on COIN more than their interests in other parts of the world

MadeInChina said:

I've answered this question before... in fact on more than one occasion.

As much as i like to see the country break up to many pieces, i fear that it would just create some islamic states. Indonesia has never been a nation Australia could trust.

Its ironic how indonesians kill drug smugglers, but are way too generous to islamic terrorists.

Back