Indonesia

Extremely Muslim.
But on another note, it's not as strictly followed as most mid eastern countries. Usually the people are pretty lax. But that's just their approach to life in general. This is of course, with the exception of Aceh, which is quite strict and many times voiced its desire to secceed from the rest of Indonesia because they wanted a "real" Muslim country.
However, the trend right now I think is that they're taking their religion more seriously than before. This is due to the rising power of the Imams and the loss of the de facto leader Suharto... people look elsewhere for leadership and because Megawati is really no good and there just doesn't seem like a decent political leader around, the religious group is the thing they turn to.
The Mosques and Islamic groups actually help the local populace more directly and effectively than the public sector does. People can get access to education, medical services, councelling, sports etc. through the Mosques. Education in Indonesia is free up until the end of high school. The religious infrastructure of Indonesia has often been called a "welfare state within a welfare state."
When America went to war against the Taleban, a number of Indonesians (no idea what number) volunteered to fight for Al Qaeda. They were actually shown on TV leaving and people were cheering them on, wishing luck. I don't know the number, but I think it was rather low. I could be mistaken though.
Once I overheard someone talking about getting Radio Free America into these places (not just Indonesia but many Muslim countries as a whole) and I just cut into the discussion and told them that this is what they're up against. Unless your radio show can top helping a guy watch his mother give birth to his younger brother, help him after school to get him to master Algebra, take care of his sick father it's got nothing on the religous organizations.

godofthunder9010 said:
That's more heavily Muslim that I would have expected. Interesting.

the_13th_redneck said:
The Indonesia Elite forces are Kopasas.
Australia's main worry about Indonesia's military is not that they're good at what they do, but that they're bad at what they do. If Indonesia's military was competent and professional, it would actually be one less thing for Australia to worry about. Problems usually come around because they're unable to handle their own situation or handle their situation in a very messy manner and in turn risk having the conflict spill over to Australia.
Indonesian equipment, except the Navy, is okay.

It's Kopassus redneck.

try this site: www.indoforce.tripod/AD.htm

if any of you require references about the Indonesian elite forces, you may browse through this add http://indonesiaeliteforces.tripod.com/index.html.
As for indonesia, currently they are headed by Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono(SBY) a former war general who involve directly in the East Timor conflict. Their military power is pretty much underpower due to certain factors, which is very sensitive to be mention in this thread, but what I can say is that previosuly most of the high ranking government officials are from the military.
They are pretty much depending on the US defence assistance for their military development, however, due to the East Timor conflict, the US have stopped the military assistance. The Indonesian have to look for other countries for their military equipment due to the military embargo set by the US. However, since SBY took over from Megawati there have been major development in the Indonesia and US ties.
As for the current situation, the Indonesian's are relatively quiet but there are several incident that shake up the relations between Indonesia and Malaysia . the latest is the Ambalat Incident. However, since both are members of the ASEAN community, the matter will be resolve in a diplomatic manner.
Others than that, as you all may have heard that they are suffering a heavy blow from tsunami and earthquake. May god bless the soul of the people who have died in the incident... Amin.

GIANTNEVERSAYNO said:
if any of you require references about the Indonesian elite forces, you may browse through this add http://indonesiaeliteforces.tripod.com/index.html.
As for indonesia, currently they are headed by Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono(SBY) a former war general who involve directly in the East Timor conflict. Their military power is pretty much underpower due to certain factors, which is very sensitive to be mention in this thread, but what I can say is that previosuly most of the high ranking government officials are from the military.
They are pretty much depending on the US defence assistance for their military development, however, due to the East Timor conflict, the US have stopped the military assistance. The Indonesian have to look for other countries for their military equipment due to the military embargo set by the US. However, since SBY took over from Megawati there have been major development in the Indonesia and US ties.
As for the current situation, the Indonesian's are relatively quiet but there are several incident that shake up the relations between Indonesia and Malaysia . the latest is the Ambalat Incident. However, since both are members of the ASEAN community, the matter will be resolve in a diplomatic manner.
Others than that, as you all may have heard that they are suffering a heavy blow from tsunami and earthquake. May god bless the soul of the people who have died in the incident... Amin.

I had a few issues with your link however this one worked for me.

http://indonesiaeliteforces.tripod.com/

OPPSSS.... sorry monty.... my mistake.... i just cut and paste the url. btw, what do you think of the indonesian forces. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just in case, if you are interested to know about the Malaysian SEAL's or better known as PASKAL(Pasukan Khas Laut), the URL is http://www.navypaskal.cjb.net/ the PASKAL is one of the student of Kopassus - Komando Pasukan Khusus(Indonesia) - Special Force Commandoes. :rambo:

GIANTNEVERSAYNO said:
OPPSSS.... sorry monty.... my mistake.... i just cut and paste the url. btw, what do you think of the indonesian forces. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just in case, if you are interested to know about the Malaysian SEAL's or better known as PASKAL(Pasukan Khas Laut), the URL is http://www.navypaskal.cjb.net/ the PASKAL is one of the student of Kopassus - Komando Pasukan Khusus(Indonesia) - Special Force Commandoes. :rambo:

The Indonesian military look a little under equiped to be honest, I am a little surprised their navy isnt a lot stronger than it is given the island nature of the country.

Yes MontyB.... I must agree with you, they are a understrength. Mainly because of the Economics problem that they are facing. When the currency crisis hit the Asian Market, the SEA countries with exception to Singapore are facing with a huge economical problem. I believe this have affected the modernization process of the Indonesian troops.
Furthermore, as you may notice, they involve in so many conflict that damages their economy such as the fighting that broke up in Ambon and eventually spread to the whole Indonesia, the lost of East Timor, the Bali bombing, the JI threat and not forgetting the GAM threat(Acheh seek independence from Indonesia). The problem that the Indonesian faced is never ending. And currently, the tsunami and earthquake.... mother nature have show her rage.
To add to their woes, the US have decided to stop their military aid to Indonesia. This also contribute to the reduction in the Indonesian Military capability. Having said that, the Indonesian have one asset that is valuable to them, that is the spirit of "Panca Sila" or the love of the country. The people are more than willing to die for their country. This is one of the strongest asset that the Indonesia still have(I think)

GIANTNEVERSAYNO said:
Yes MontyB.... I must agree with you, they are a understrength. Mainly because of the Economics problem that they are facing. When the currency crisis hit the Asian Market, the SEA countries with exception to Singapore are facing with a huge economical problem. I believe this have affected the modernization process of the Indonesian troops.
Furthermore, as you may notice, they involve in so many conflict that damages their economy such as the fighting that broke up in Ambon and eventually spread to the whole Indonesia, the lost of East Timor, the Bali bombing, the JI threat and not forgetting the GAM threat(Acheh seek independence from Indonesia). The problem that the Indonesian faced is never ending. And currently, the tsunami and earthquake.... mother nature have show her rage.
To add to their woes, the US have decided to stop their military aid to Indonesia. This also contribute to the reduction in the Indonesian Military capability. Having said that, the Indonesian have one asset that is valuable to them, that is the spirit of "Panca Sila" or the love of the country. The people are more than willing to die for their country. This is one of the strongest asset that the Indonesia still have(I think)

Yeah have admitt its been a rough time in terms of natural disasters there, I find it unusual that there are economic issues give the nations vast resources though, oil revenues alone must be pretty lucrative.

They have the resources, but bear in mind that they also have to settle their bills with the IMF. Some of the oil location is still under dispute, the latest is in Ambalat whereby the Malaysian Government also claims that the sector belong to Malaysia.
Indonesia have a lot of resources, but they have to manage them effectively. I do hope that they can go through this hard time... As neighbours, we Malaysian will do whatever we can to lend a helping hand.
:)

And remember, Australia is never to keen on Indonesia stretching it's legs or exercising it's lungs to much. There can only be one major power in the region, and I think we've got that covered. Australia won't let Indonesia rise above it's current position (for pure economics and security).

As for Kopassus. They are totally overated. They've done exercises in far north QLD and been totally wiped out, and when the SAS came up against them on the border of East/West Timor, they were decimated. So much for special forces.

I can understand Australia's misgivings about the potential for Indonesia to becoming more powerful. Given solid leadership and reason to become more unified, Indonesia could easily evolve into a HUGE player in the region. They are barely worth noticing currently, at least in terms of influence. Its a sleeping giant of sorts. Its also a lot of wasted potential.

Indonesia's army gets most of its experience policing the islands and fighting poorly equiped guerrillas. Aceh is a good example.
As for their Airforce, they have some good aircraft but not the capability to maintain them and keep them flying.
Comes down to dollars and education. They are spread pretty thin, deal with a giant bueracracy that sucks up money.
The Government walks a fine line with the generals that run their own feithdoms in the provinces.
As pointed out in an earlier post, Indonesia is made up of hundreds of islands. It must be a nightmare to police and govern and keep the various ethnic groups happy.
Corruption is a way of life over there.
But. until they get their act together they will not become too much of an embugerance in the Asian power stakes. Not yet anyway.

I believe that, the Indonesians requires more than a decade to rebuild their country. As mentioned earlier, they were hit hard by tsunami, almost the entire city wiped out, lately, the eartquake is giving them a lot of problems and their volcanoes are getting active. These factors will surely give a huge economical impact to their economy.... W/out money, they can't do anything.

Yikes

Anyone know any more details about 1998 Indonesian anti-Chinese riots? What are the Indonesian policies are like now? Like Redneck said, it seems extreme Muslim was ruling the country. What are these Muslim's sentiment towards the west at this moment of time?

I do have couple links about the riot.

[link removed]

http://www.wsws.org/news/1998/feb1998/indones.shtml

Hi,

Indonesia is one of the very Few countries which operates F-16's and Su-30's at the same time?

Indonesian SU 27SK
su-27_02.jpg

SU 30MK
sukhoi01.JPG

Indonesian F16 A/B
http://www.cvl.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~kazmi/mil/tniau/f-16/F-16BIndo.jpg

terbangform.jpg

Aceh Under Siege............. Hawk mk 109/209 for bombing in Aceh rebel bases

foto2b.jpg

foto6b.jpg

Old OV 10 Bronco to for bombing those separatist in Aceh

foto4b.jpg

Mi35 Hind

mi-3502.jpg

Rapier ( SAM )

rapier1.jpeg

RBS 70 ( SAM )

rbs70.jpeg

Nice photos.
And wow they have 6 F16s flying at the same time!!!LOL.
The rapier and RBS 70 are nasty pieces of work. Especially if they fall into the wrong hans over there.

well, i know alot of chinese were killed during 98, but can anyone care to be more detailed about it??

it seems so unjustfied to kill chinese just cuz we are rich and in the control of the local economy, this is exactly what happened to jews in germany, only on tropical islands

Hi,

Nice photos.
And wow they have 6 F16s flying at the same time!!!LOL.

;) Yup that pretty Much Sums up the AirForce :D ..............i think they have Currently 5 to 9 Operational F-16's and .............. One or two SU30K........... They lack Economy to back their MIllitary Equipments .

Peace.

I suppose there only military activities are going to be against rebels, and if there involved in peacekeeping activities other nations can supply the aircraft, so they dont need that much of an airforce. Anybody know anything against there amphibious fleet? Do they have one?

Back