Indonesia looks to foreign banks to finance Sukhoi deal

rock45

Indonesia looks to foreign banks to finance Sukhoi deal

By Jon Grevatt
31 August 2007
Indonesia's agreement with Russia to purchase six Sukhoi fighters will be dependent on loans from foreign banks as the Southeast Asian country cannot afford the aircraft, the Indonesian Ministry of Defence's (MoD's) Directorate of Procurement told Jane's on 30 August.
Under the deal that was inked between defence officials of the two countries on 21 August at Russia's MAKS 2007 aviation and space show, Jakarta agreed to purchase three Su-27SKM and three Su-30MK2 aircraft, with delivery expected in 2008-10.

Full story
http://www.janes.com/news/defence/jdi/jdi070831_1_n.shtml

Sukhoi is getting a lot of contracts these days.
I wonder if it's soley because of price or if it has to do with perhaps a rift forming between them and the US. Perhaps both.
Indonesia already has some F-16s.

contracts

Sukhoi didn't do as well as Mig in contracts 2006 even know it seems their selling jet like hot cakes. The Algerian SMT Fulcrum deal I think was for 34 or 36 new fighters and upgrading something like 26? It's still not clear to me on what the correct numbers are in their Fulcrum deal. The Venezuela Flanker sale was their last nice size contract the Malaysian Flanker deal I think was signed in 2004/5. I think the Flanker in the hands of a well trained pilot supported with AWACS can be use like the F-15s in general. On paper they are very capable fighters but the training is the key. I think if most users bought Sims to help train their pilots and bought into the higher price maintenance packages that overall Russian fighters would do a little better. How many countries in the past bought Russian but go cheap on the maintenance and training and get burn. Another thing I tried looking up upgrades was upgrade information on their AA-12 Adder radar guided missile. You can follow the upgrades on the US Slammers but nothing on the Adder. I'm sure or should I say assume over the many years of service it's been upgraded but I just can't find it. Jumping back to the Algerian Fulcrum deal why didn't they buy the newer K model Fulcrums India bought for their carrier, I'm sure there's a land version out there right?

MiG-29M / MiG-33 "Fulcrum-E"
I guess it's got to do with cost.
And dude, you're a real person? Thought you were some kind of post bot.

post bot

I'm still laughing that's so funny no I'm real.
icon7.gif
I like posting a lot and finding aviation and military news or articles is my thing, I like doing it. I post in four forums daily and and belong to another two where I mainly just read. I should use post bot in this other forum where they asked me to run their news section it would kill them. I use firefox and tabs and just open all my aviation forums in one shot and just go down the line. I'm always around, rock45

Back