India's n-capable Agni-I missile makes pin-point hit

zhaldev

2010-03-28 18:40:00
/Bhubaneswar, March 28 (IANS) To maintain its operational preparedness against external threats, India Sunday successfully test-fired its indigenously developed nuclear-capable surface-to-surface Agni-I missile that can strike a target 700 km away, officials said.

The missile was tested by the Indian armed forces as part of user-trial from a facility on Wheeler Island near Dhamra in the district of Bhadrak, some 170 km from here. The firing of missile took place at 1.07 p.m.

'It was a fantastic launch,' director of the test range S.P. Dash told IANS.

'The practice fire was conducted on the directions of strategic command. The missile was armed with advanced navigation systems. It went up to 300 km in altitude before hitting the target,' a source in national capital said

'The two naval ships deployed near the target reported pin-point precision. It is not every day we fire missiles for practice.'

The Agni-I has already been inducted into the armed forces. It is 15 metres tall and weighs 12 tonnes. It can carry nuclear payloads weighing up to one tonne. Developed under India's Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme, the missile was first tested in May 1989.

India has also already inducted Agni-2 missile with a range of 2,500 km. According to sources, Agni-3 missile with a firing range of 3,500 km will be inducted soon whereas tests for Agni-5 missile with a firing range of 5,000 km will take place with a year.

'There is no plan for going on for Agni-6 in near future. Because missiles over 5,000 km range fall under the category of intercontinental ballistic missiles, of which we do not feel any requirement yet,' a top official said.

The armed forces also successfully tested two nuclear-capable missiles, Dhanush and Prithvi-II, Saturday in Orissa.

Back