India's Mig-27 problems

rock45

I found this article where HAL Industry's are upgrading there Mig-27 attack jets to date the project isn't going well. This is an old designed based off a Mig-23 attack model and the aircraft itself is: heavy, average range, average payload, and has engine problems according to this article still not resolved, even after the upgrade. Like India's Mig-21bis, Mig-21/93 other models that should have been replaced a long time ago are still flying. A good portion of India's fleet are these older types which in the past may have served well but there time has come and pasted. India's Mig-29 fleet (about 60 aircraft) is also old as well as is there (2) Mirage 2000 squadrons. Remember India's AF is planing on having 230 MKI Flankers but do not have these numbers currently and still relive on these older types. Not that I want Pakistan to have modern fighters but if China decides on a final design model and picks up production in two years or so Pakistan may begin to come close to India's modern fighter levels in time. I still rate the MKI Flanker with there powerful Bar's radar a better fighter/attack platform but India's high end Flankers can't be everywhere?

The article I found
CAG questions IAF's efforts to upgrade MiG-27 fighters
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/002200803161223.htm

Pakistan

the_13th_redneck PAF decided to buy 18 new F-16C/Ds and 26 used F-16A/Bs that are to be delivered by 2008/2009. In December 2005, US delivered 2 F-16As to Pakistan as a token of goodwill. This was followed by delivery of another 2 F-16Bs in July 2007 raising the total number of active F-16s in PAF service to 36.
(The 18 new C/D will be Block-52 and Slammer armed, when they delivered and I hope the hold the order, ops slip out)
icon10.gif

They also have a large number of upgraded Mirage III/V aircraft and J-7 Chinese made Mig-21 copies.

The JF-17s are a big step above the older Chinese and French made fighters and will have 9 hard points armed with radar guided missiles. Ordering to press releases 250 of these are fighter are planned. I think 120/150 before changing over the Chinese J-10 once exports sales are approved. I also think of of what's being built into the J-10 will make it into the JF-17 in a form of C/D model, built off the second production run. Time will tell but the Chinese are getting better and now can produce a J-11B 94% Chinese made Flanker. Big steps compared to all the Mig-19/21 copies.

Maybe Su 30 MKIs will fix the issues. But the possibilities seems boundless. Like with the new Su 35 BMs, I think Russia is itching for contracts on those, as well as the Mikoyan 35 (recently added with a OVT variant). Or, they can just jump on the band wagon and get some new F 35s.

I read in Code One also that Chile just got a squadron on F 16 Block 60s I believe, that maybe a option for India as well.

Not Block-60s

Hi Sukio
I think you made a mistake only one country has ordered and received Block-60 Falcons, UAE, I link a article below.

The United Arab Emirates Air Force ordered a total of 80 F-16E/F block 60 aircraft, becoming the first customer for this advanced version of the F-16 Fighting Falcon. The UAEAF also acquired AIM-120 AMRAAM, AGM-84 Harpoon, AGM-88 HARM, Laser Guided Bombs, and other sophisticatd munitions for its

Link
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_users_article22.html

Su 35 BMs - India's AF/Government already announced that after the 230 MKI Flankers, that India wouldn't buy anymore and are going away the Flanker design. The aircraft are heavy in weight and are high maintenance compared other they could buy. India's knows 5th generation aircraft can be bought now so the Russian "same old Flanker design" isn't cutting it anymore for them.

Mikoyan 35 - Has a change but Russia's moving slow so one can assume a lack or real funding is killing this program. The MIG Corporation just doesn't seem able to get one produced. The aircraft the flying around as a Mig-35 is a Mig-29M or land version of the K model built for India's carrier. The OVT is pretty cool but the rest of the Mig-35 is mostly vaporware. At Roy's a articel was posted saying production will start by the end of 2009 or 2010, so looks like no funding. It's a shame I kind of like Fulcrums pretty cool fighters. MIG wasted 9 years of India not making up there mind and not buying anything yet for there never ending 126 aircraft purchase.

Indian buying the F-35 very possible but it's a nightmare dealing with them a Russian poster in this other forum went off on the Indians, wow. Like most issues there three sides to every story.

I wish the US Air Force would buy a squadron or two of Block-60 Vipers to hold them over but that would never happen. From what I've read some of the Block-40 squadrons are getting up there in there hours.

The US Navy getting in the E/F Hornets was orders was smart they realized the F-35 was still a few years off. Can you imagine if the USN Navy had to keep the Tomcat squadrons flying this long? The US Air Force had so many big projects going I guess the only way to pay for them were cutting down the F-15 & F-16 replacement orders over the last five or eight years.

icon7.gif

India prob wont be too quick to buy anything from russia again after what happened with the aircraft carrier purchase. I would like to see India purchase the F-35; maybe they would start to buy more US arms, and possibly balance out the chinese a bit.

Hi Sukio
I think you made a mistake only one country has ordered and received Block-60 Falcons, UAE, I link a article below.

The United Arab Emirates Air Force ordered a total of 80 F-16E/F block 60 aircraft, becoming the first customer for this advanced version of the F-16 Fighting Falcon. The UAEAF also acquired AIM-120 AMRAAM, AGM-84 Harpoon, AGM-88 HARM, Laser Guided Bombs, and other sophisticated munitions for its

Link
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_users_article22.html

Su 35 BMs - India's AF/Government already announced that after the 230 MKI Flankers, that India wouldn't buy anymore and are going away the Flanker design. The aircraft are heavy in weight and are high maintenance compared other they could buy. India's knows 5th generation aircraft can be bought now so the Russian "same old Flanker design" isn't cutting it anymore for them.

Mikoyan 35 - Has a change but Russia's moving slow so one can assume a lack or real funding is killing this program. The MIG Corporation just doesn't seem able to get one produced. The aircraft the flying around as a Mig-35 is a Mig-29M or land version of the K model built for India's carrier. The OVT is pretty cool but the rest of the Mig-35 is mostly vaporware. At Roy's a article was posted saying production will start by the end of 2009 or 2010, so looks like no funding. It's a shame I kind of like Fulcrums pretty cool fighters. MIG wasted 9 years of India not making up there mind and not buying anything yet for there never ending 126 aircraft purchase.

Indian buying the F-35 very possible but it's a nightmare dealing with them a Russian poster in this other forum went off on the Indians, wow. Like most issues there three sides to every story.

I wish the US Air Force would buy a squadron or two of Block-60 Vipers to hold them over but that would never happen. From what I've read some of the Block-40 squadrons are getting up there in there hours.

The US Navy getting in the E/F Hornets was orders was smart they realized the F-35 was still a few years off. Can you imagine if the USN Navy had to keep the Tomcat squadrons flying this long? The US Air Force had so many big projects going I guess the only way to pay for them were cutting down the F-15 & F-16 replacement orders over the last five or eight years.

icon7.gif

Well, then the F 16s sent to Chile, are Block 52s maybe? Chile has purchased some former Dutch F 16s for their airforce. Maybe that's what the article was about? All I remember is the pretty pictures!

All in in all, Russia does have some new toys, but with development issues and lack of contracts, as well as funding may sound the death bell for them. Maybe India will make up it's mind on the F 35? But, seeing what happened with their Mig 29 M models, it maybe some time after the release of the Lighting ll.

And with the F 14? Well, sadly we all know that story, Northrop Grumman offered to upgrade the Cat even further, the F 14 D 21++, but Congress said no, and pulled the plug. But I don't know if the Navy wanted to keep the cat or not.

Fighters

The Chilean fighters look nice (6) D models and (4) C Block-52 built with Israeli systems and use mighty Python V missiles and for radar guided missiles they use the Derby and I think also the AIM-120 AMRAAM now as well. But you know I not seeing where that's confirmed maybe there wired for AMRAAMs but not delivered? Maybe somebody can help with that. You are most correct about picking up some ex-Holland Vipers great move on there part. I think there Mirage 50's are in storage now and fighters Vipers, F-5 Tigers III, also upgraded by the Israeli's, and trusty old A-37, which seem to go one and on.

Back